Forza Horizon 4 should be an inspiration for 2077 car design.

+
-This game makes every other open world driving game feel like dog shit.

-It has the most extensive upgrade system for vehicles I've ever seen. Your oil intake, your fly wheel, your tires. It's insane.

-XP system based on difficulty.

In short, this is the model for CP 2077 regarding vehicles.

Last edited:
No, it shouldn't.

And the suggestion it should be is largely why you end up with so many shitty open world games trying to be 10 different games at the same time and none of them working.

Better to not have player drivable vehicles at all than trying to shoe horn that nonsense in to what should be trying to be a CRPG.

no game should try to be all things to all games. that way shit terribleness lies.

I think Slim is saying that as long as we are having driving in 2077, he'd like to see the excellence that Forza displays.

And fair enough. I don't think we should try to be a whole game in each part of 2077, but I would like to see it emulate the top versions of the genre, if it's going to incorporate those elements.

Or something totally new, but that's because I like innovation over perfection, generally.

I think Slim is saying that as long as we are having driving in 2077, he'd like to see the excellence that Forza displays.

And fair enough. I don't think we should try to be a whole game in each part of 2077, but I would like to see it emulate the top versions of the genre, if it's going to incorporate those elements.

Or something totally new, but that's because I like innovation over perfection, generally.

while I understand the stentiment, the idea is bad, Forza is a racing game and nothing else, it took 3 odd years of a team probably as large as CDPR going full time to create it. i'm pretty sure as well as CDPR are doing they don't have that level of extra resource to throw at just the driving and nor should they. suggesting that's what they should aim for is setting your self up for disapointment with expectations that can never be met.

suggesting that's what they should aim for is setting your self up for disapointment with expectations that can never be met.

Oh I don't know. I think suggesting that they should use it as a model only within obviously smaller goal set ( less vehicles, one "track" - the city they've built, half the upgrades, etc) is quite reasonable.

This, by the way, is how CDPR does things. Witcher 3 was their baby, but they loved Gothic and Skyrim and considered them excellent source material.

Drawing on the driving model and upgrade system of Forza seems to me to be a good idea, if it's superior to, say GTA.

I sort of agree with Hoplite that there's a real danger of a game losing its core identity if it tries to be too many things at the same time. I already hear too much clamoring for Red Dead Redemption, but I honestly hope when the release day comes, I won't feel like this is RDR in the future. Or GTA in the future. Et cetera.

Focus on creating a superb narrative that really conveys the feeling of Night City. Having to think about my car's exhaust system or air intake would be a distraction, and I honestly would get really tired of it pretty quick. Like already mentioned, there's always an opportunity cost when adding new elements to a project time and resources are finite and spreading them too thin means other aspects of the game will be less polished. I can think of several things I'd rather have than a system for how to upgrade my vehicle: more people, more quests, the ability to do some missions only as V's online presence (literally sitting in their apartment or a coffee shop and hacking/investigating/exchanging information, etc), and so on and so forth.

I cleaned up the OP a bit and re-titled so it's clear I only mean Forza to be a model for CDPR regarding vehicle design and possible modification. I'm not advocating for some systemic shift in focus as I know it's a story-driven RPG at heart. But there's a good chance we'll be doing a lot of driving in this game, so you might as well look at the best. And we may even get stuff like weapon and armor mods for our cars. Our rides may become money sinks for extra cash earned in game so having in depth and meaningful upgrades like in Forza makes sense. It was even a bit like that with Roach in TW3.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll get anything close to such a good driving as in racing games, but I'll be happy if we get something better than watch dogs 1 and 2 (a pain in the ass). Excellent if close to GTA 4 or 5 (not perfect, but the best seen so far in open world games).

Oh I don't know. I think suggesting that they should use it as a model only within obviously smaller goal set ( less vehicles, one "track" - the city they've built, half the upgrades, etc) is quite reasonable.

This, by the way, is how CDPR does things. Witcher 3 was their baby, but they loved Gothic and Skyrim and considered them excellent source material.

Drawing on the driving model and upgrade system of Forza seems to me to be a good idea, if it's superior to, say GTA.
Agreed.

I don't want anything too crazy (only because of resource allocation - if that wasn't a factor, I wouldn't care), but at least some vehicle modification, and solid car handling based on principles form Forza would be fine by me.

Small "immersion" things would also be neat. If its raining, maybe your traction is worse (this was in GTA 4, not so much GTA 5 from what I recall), or if its -- by some miracle, given NC's location -- snowing, its way worse.

It's all going to come down to how important to the game driving around Night City is going to be. Obviously we will need quick ways to get to mission starting points and so on, and the occasional car chase/shootout like from the demo come into play. But this isn't a racing game like Forza, so this probably won't be the strongest aspect of the game.

No, it shouldn't.

And the suggestion it should be is largely why you end up with so many shitty open world games trying to be 10 different games at the same time and none of them working.

Better to not have player drivable vehicles at all than trying to shoe horn that nonsense in to what should be trying to be a CRPG.

no game should try to be all things to all games. that way shit terribleness lies.
I made an account just to post this. This guy is absolutely right. DON'T COPY FORZA!!! Not only did forza have a huge team working on it for many years but it's also at it's 4th or 5th iteration which means many many many years to get to the point it is now for such a small facet of the game omg !

can we just get a switch for automatic to manual (i hate automatic shifting cause ever game that has automatic shifting feels like a gta knock off) (oh yeh seeing this also gave me a idea team up with say playground games or turn 10 idk and have them make the car thats in the trailer in forza horizon 4) idk just shooting out a idea.

It would make some sense for automatic gearbox and basic driving aids to be more or less standard by 2077, so the game could give a lore explanation to the likely relatively easy and "streamlined" driving (as it was not designed to be a racing simulator, and players not interested in driving can find it an annoying gameplay element).

I do expect vehicles to be relatively important, though, especially if there is no traditional "click on the map" fast travel mechanic. It was already confirmed that there are multiple models of cars and even bikes, and that car theft is possible, too. In addition to those features, as a realistic expectation, I think CP2077 can at least offer customization, upgrades, and physics somewhat more advanced than shown below for Dying Light: The Following (which is a DLC for an open world FPP action game by a smaller developer than CDPR):

Damn, I need to buy new racing game, its been a while since I played Need for Speed, think like 3 year or so.

If vehicles play a big part of this game I just hope their customizable. I remember spending hours in Saints Row 2 acquiring and customizing cars. It would make cruising around in "my own car" more enjoyable too.

It would make some sense for automatic gearbox and basic driving aids to be more or less standard by 2077

Not sure it even needs this much of an excuse. Playing through FarCry 5 now, and the "autodrive" feature is actually a really nice addition. Especially for PC mouse and keyboard controls, simply being able to hit a key and have the car autopilot to the waypoint I set is fantastic. Anytime I want, I can assume control.

It's not really needed with a gamepad, as there are analogue sticks for steering axis and analogue buttons for the gas pedals and brakes. But having to use keyboard keys to steer is less than fluid. It's a great feature.

From a recent French article (translated):
JEUXACTU: We have seen in the demo of armed vehicles, can we expect to take control of different gear in the adventure, in addition to the classic car?

Maciej Pietras : Every time you see a vehicle in the game, it will be possible for you to take control and you can then start the fight from there. It's typically the things player that I find cool to do, but I can not give you too much detail about the different vehicles at the moment. However, I can tell you that you can customize your cars in the game.

Guest 4310777

Lets focus on what exactly it should try to emulate from forza.

PHYSICS. Thats all we are really talking about here.

Now, I have no doubt the company has some very smart people who know a whole lot about physics. If they could just come up with some robust amd highly customizable driving physics model, the rest of the team could very slowly tweak the variables and dial them in over time as they play the game over and over again.

I think, Forza really should be an inspiration for anyone trying to implement driving physics in a video game. I wonder how much is actually known about that particular engine and how it works behind the scenes. Suspension, traction (the interaction between tyre and road surface), steering.. those are the big ones i think.

Not sure it even needs this much of an excuse. Playing through FarCry 5 now, and the "autodrive" feature is actually a really nice addition. Especially for PC mouse and keyboard controls, simply being able to hit a key and have the car autopilot to the waypoint I set is fantastic. Anytime I want, I can assume control.

The Witcher 3 already has a similar feature with Roach, even if it does not always work reliably. In the world of Cyberpunk, "smart cars" would make sense, so it looks quite possible that an autopilot mode will be included.

For actual player controlled driving, there needs to be a balance between realism and not making the game frustrating, as many people will indeed use simple WASD controls, or are just generally not very skilled in racing games (which is understandable given that CP2077 targets a different audience).

Top Bottom