FOV, eye strain and other frustrating issues.

+
Sadly, the game is 16:9 and then they stretch it.
I think they did it for a reason because the game runs like garbo.
100 FOV
1607640350885.jpeg

Maximum Engine FOV 170
1607640499095.jpeg

Last edited:
I am playing on a 3880x1200 monitor (43'' 32:10 = 87° ideally) and no matter which way i move the FOV, it's just ugly. I had to set it to 55 to get it as flat as possible (i changed the game setting files to achieve lower minimum and higher maximum settings to play around with), without getting to far into the image. but it is really stupid, because it makes me "zoom" in so much, the whole advantage of having a widescreen is rendered moot; but anything higher than that and it's just nauseating.
And it's also rather annoying that the set FOV is completely ignored during cutscenes and driving anyway.
What's the point of having a widescreen monitor if you can't even play THE alleged next-gen game on it, with actual widescreen FOV, especially since it's supposed to be a FPRPG!?
see the images below to get a bit of a feeling for the distortions. I don't think it's really working as intended.

fow1.jpg fow2.jpg fow3.jpg
[click to enlarge]

On top of that, on my 4K HDR TV, it even runs better... WTF?*
And before you ask why i am not just playing on the 4K TV in 16:9, there are many reasons, but the main one would be that I wouldn't be able to play with keyboard and mouse, and the whole first person immersion is gone, because i would have to sit farther away. I was hoping that the widescreen would give me a realistic wider view - just a nice flat image which is just wider - it's more or less 4K cut in half horizontally, how hard can that be? Alas, this game does not natively support widescreen.

This, like so many other things about this game, is so very disappointing. When I bought the monitor, this game was even part of the consideration. I was looking forward to play this as immersed as possible, and here i am, with a shite image.
At this point, I would rather just play in 16:9 with black borders on the sides, but that too is not an option in this game...

This is the FOW it goes to regardless of what you set, when you use the mirror... as a reference.
reference.png

Well, even post 1.2 patch the FOV is still bugged on PC. For example, after the dialog with Evelyn and as she walks you down to Judy the FOV is locked to something less than the maximum. I quit at the part where you need to sit in Judys chair, needed a break.

Top Bottom