FOV on next gen

+
Now that 1.5 is out and the next gen updates are here, me and many others decided to try it out. We all have series x or ps5 and we agree that the FOV on consoles can be really jarring and very zoomed in. Any chance we might get a slider for the next generations? It would improve the experience tremendously.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Is the performance of the so-called "next gen" consoles really that bad? Is 90° FOV technically not possible?

Is the performance of the so-called "next gen" consoles really that bad? Is 90° FOV technically not possible?
My guesses :
On Series X, you're lock to 30 FPS with RT and 60 FPS on performance mode. So if you increase FOV (meaning more "things" to display on screen at the same time), the console will no longer be able to run the game at 30 FPS and 60 FPS with acceptable drops and you certainely have to decrease some things somewhere else (or play with Ray Tracing at 20-25 FPS or Performance mode at 50-55 FPS, which is out of question, I suppose).
Unlike PCs, where it's to players to decide which % of FPS they are ready to sacrifice for increasing the FOV. Nothing prevent you to play at 5-10 FPS with all the settings at max on a mid-end PC :)

My guesses :
On Series X, you're lock to 30 FPS with RT and 60 FPS on performance mode. So if you increase FOV (meaning more "things" to display on screen at the same time), the console will no longer be able to run the game at 30 FPS and 60 FPS with acceptable drops and you certainely have to decrease some things somewhere else (or play with Ray Tracing at 20-25 FPS or Performance mode at 50-55 FPS, which is out of question, I suppose).
Unlike PCs, where it's to players to decide which % of FPS they are ready to sacrifice for increasing the FOV. Nothing prevent you to play at 5-10 FPS with all the settings at max on a mid-end PC :)
Yea this is probably the reason. They have too make it run steady on all consoles with as much eye candy as they can. if they change it it will probably be hard changed with 90 as the standard. Even pc cant go higher then 100 since you get alot of wonky animations and becomes more or less a fish eye at 120+. Its just the way the game was made sadly.

add ability to change fov on consoles. Game feels like a picture on iphone ultrawide camera. I several times tried to start playing, but fov is terrible in comparison to horizon, elden ring, demon souls etc

add ability to change fov on consoles. Game feels like a picture on iphone ultrawide camera. I several times tried to start playing, but fov is terrible in comparison to horizon, elden ring, demon souls etc

Yeah, like @LeKill3rFou mentioned, the games you mentioned and to which the etc probably applies are third person view games which isn't comparable at all.

It sounds like first person view just isn't for you. :shrug:

Yeah, like @LeKill3rFou mentioned, the games you mentioned and to which the etc probably applies are third person view games which isn't comparable at all.

It sounds like first person view just isn't for you. :shrug:
Agree, i do agree with him about the FOV too tho. 100 on pc isent even enough too make it feel decent for me -.- Cant fix it either because of the way they implemented it.

Top Bottom