FP VS TP - perspective matters

+

What perspective do YOU want in CP game ?

• FP- First person

Votes: 300 22.9%
  • TP- Third person

Votes: 457 34.9%
  • I must play TP- I have motion sickness GIVE as choice !

Votes: 99 7.6%
  • I do not care

Votes: 131 10.0%
  • I want both!

Votes: 323 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I can't understand is why people who support FPP are so hostile and are against TPP. No one is asking to take away FPP from this game. People are asking to add option to switch to TPP. One would think more options to play your game is better but obviously FPP defenders thinks otherwise. And it's bugs me why? Don't you want more people to be able to enjoy this game?

That's a straw man argument, nobody is "hostile to TPP".

People are merely poiting out the flaws in the argumentation of the "defenders" of TPP who claim to not want FPS for personal taste instead of valid reasons.

What I can't understand is why people who support FPP are so hostile and are against TPP. No one is asking to take away FPP from this game. People are asking to add option to switch to TPP. One would think more options to play your game is better but obviously FPP defenders thinks otherwise. And it's bugs me why? Don't you want more people to be able to enjoy this game?
He/She hit the nail right on the head.
I don't see why those people who say 'Please don't turn this game into third person because of a vocal minority' have to be so butthurt about others wanting to ask for that option to be included.

If the TPP-ers want that option and it will make them happy, why deny it to them?

Granted, CD Projekt Red might be facing time and technical constraints, but that does not explain why the FPP defenders are so rancorous and mean-spirited.

Guess they're just being ... people.

I've been thinking some more about this and while the dissapointment is still there after listening to the devs talk about the first person view and their reasons behind the decision and their goals it doesn't seems as bad.

Few months back I started thinking a more and more about the type of character I wanted, the skills they'd have, their motivations, personality. Started looking in more depth at what 2020 offered in terms of character building, implants, the major players (individuals, corporations, gangs) and started looking through the Night City book to get a better feel for the world in general. I wanted to do the same thing I did with TW3 where I read the books and played the previous games to get in the right mood/mindset and get to know the world better (ended up reading the books twice eventually).

Naturally this process ended up sooner rather than later with the question: what would my character look like? So I pretty much assumed that 3rd person was still a thing and was really looking forward to that aspect of the game: make a cool character and watch them be a badass on the streets of Night City.

But on to my point: from what I've been reading in the different articles and seen in the diifferent interviews CDPR wants you to see the nitty gritty up close. Ther was a mention of you seeing in first person how cybernetics are installed on your character and I'd imagine you'll do some Doom-esque shit in melee and I can see how one might argue that such brutality is kinda lost in a third person perspective.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: while I am disappointed with this decision I have faith in CDPRs ability to make the tradeoff of losing that aspect of the game worth it.

That's a straw man argument, nobody is "hostile to TPP".

People are merely poiting out the flaws in the argumentation of the "defenders" of TPP who claim to not want FPS for personal taste instead of valid reasons.

They want option to switch to TPP not to make game only TPP. You can still play FPP if you want. Have choice and don't have this choice is a big difference. And why are you against this choice I can't understand. It will not hurt your FPP gameplay.

I was hoping for 3rd person choice like fallout or gta etc.. but if details to environment and implants etc is why 1st person was the choice, it would be a great idea to implement a 3rd person UNLOCK after completing the game then?

He/She hit the nail right on the head.
I don't see why those people who say 'Please don't turn this game into third person because of a vocal minority' have to be so butthurt about others wanting to ask for that option to be included.

If the TPP-ers want that option and it will make them happy, why deny it to them?

Granted, CD Projekt Red might be facing time and technical constraints, but that does not explain why the FPP defenders are so rancorous and mean-spirited.

Guess they're just being ... people.
Because it's not a simple switch, the game was made as a first person game, your HUD is a cyber enhacement and changes depending on your gear, the game is vertical, spaces are tight and cramped.
Third person would absolubtely not work in this game and cd made this choice for that exact same reason after a lot of discussion and planning, you still get some third person bits and there's photo mode to see your character, you also already see your character constantly in conversations.
You're asking cd to redo how the entire game works because you want to see your pretty clothes a tad bit often, do you realize how selfish that is?
It could add a straight year to development and many things could end up getting scrapped, yeah I understand motion sickness but they can't really do anything about that, it is what it is.

I sadly have to join the Third Person army.
I have motion sickness when playing first person shooters, so if that will be the only option, i will have to skip the game (unless someone mod it in in the future).
And while it is true than the voting people on this forum are only 300+ as of now, and so they cannot and should not be compared to the millions of people that will buy the game, they still give an idea of how this news was acknowledged.
3/4 of the people who voted are against first person perspective. If this information is any indication, you guys risk of losing a very big part of customers.

So my question is: is it worthy to take such a risk just to make a question of principle and not putting in third person as well?

Because it's not a simple switch, the game was made as a first person game, your HUD is a cyber enhacement and changes depending on your gear, the game is vertical, spaces are tight and cramped.
Third person would absolubtely not work in this game and cd made this choice for that exact same reason after a lot of discussion and planning, you still get some third person bits and there's photo mode to see your character, you also already see your character constantly in conversations.
You're asking cd to redo how the entire game works because you want to see your pretty clothes a tad bit often, do you realize how selfish that is?
It could add a straight year to development and many things could end up getting scrapped, yeah I understand motion sickness but they can't really do anything about that, it is what it is.

The game isn't made yet. We don't know current status of the game. I think it's right time to ask something you want to see in the final version of the game.

Growing up playing original Half-Life, Quake III and so on I had always loved the FPP view until one day all of the sudden I can't take it anymore, the reason is akin to all that motion sickness and whole she-bang already stated many times in the previous messages, for that reason alone I missed many great games like Dues EX, Bio Shock and even Half-Life 2. I just really can't do it. Now this, back when this game was announce years ago I only wished it to be a customizable protagonist and the dev kept that promise, now they also said that the game will be both first and third person "expect nothing less than what you get in Witcher 3" with that statement the only place I go to is the hype train, but as of this very moment I really have to leave it, not jumping out or anything I'm sure this will still be a great game. I just wanted to voiced my thought and I hope you as in CD Projekt RED will kindly listen. I will miss this game the same way I missed Dues EX and that saddens me very much like you can't imagine. If it's means less immersion on TPP mode I would still choose that over FPP anyday, give us a choice.

Best wishes, Still a fan.

Ok peeps, it's very easy to be dismissive of the views of those for whom first person gaming is undesirable when that really doesn't apply to you. I mean, for people like me, it's all kinds of disappointing to have CP77 join the list of fine games that are simply inaccessible to me due to motion sickness. Even leaving that aside, the points people continue to make about immersion are by no means 'silly' or 'entitled' and instead reflect a personnel point of view that really should be shared with CDPR here on the boards.

I have a solution: Follow Metal Gear Solid V's (MGSV) camera style.
Zoom into FPS in cramped spaces (for example, like when Snake is crawling under a hospital bed), zoom back out in the field or streets, and go to over-shoulder view when you're in a building.
You could also have an option to go to FPS mode when shooting (like in MGSV).

The game isn't made yet. We don't know current status of the game. I think it's right time to ask something you want to see in the final version of the game.

Yeah, 5 years after the first Teaser, and the game isn't made yet... (sarcasm if you didn't get it)

@pigius
Just because a certain group of "gamers" screams the loudest doesn t mean
automatically it is "the majority". (no matter on how many sites it happens)

[Yes i look at you right now all SJW "participants" who think only their opinion is valid,
becasue they scream all over the place] Which is obviously not, as it has
been proven serveral times.

So once again, why you don t just wait till the devs are ready to show us some
real gameplay and then bring your concerns in? Hm? As i stated, for me
FPP is ok, as it was in Deus Ex HR and if we MIGHT get an option to switch
it will be fine too right? No need to go insane.

So long

Resident Evil 4/5 and MGS series comes to mind I could probably look some more up but that's just off the top of my head. Also how do you know this game will have cramped spaces? What's you definition of cramped spaces?examples please
A cramped space is a space in which the third person camera can no longer stay in it's fixed position. It rather has to slide across a wall and come closer to your character. It can either give you a peeking advantage or it hinders your view. And why risk that when you can just use a first person perspective.

Now I'd like to add that that's not my only gripe with TPP shooters, they often have lock in cover systems which take the fluidity out of the gameplay. If they don't, shooting around corners becomes an issue and results in you shooting your cover a couple times every time you peek a corner.

Movement is also less precise in a TPP game. Look no further as the Witcher itself, a true masterpiece no doubt, but lacking in the movement department. Every move looks fluent but inputs don't always result in the desired movement. It's just not predictable.

What makes me think it's close quarters combat with "cramped spaces" as I described before. Well, the developers said that compared to the open nature of the Witcher games, Cyberpunk would have more vertical space (e.g. Buildings). It's safe to say that buildings have rooms, some smaller than others. It would probably also mean that there are alleyways.

All I'm saying is that it's fair of them to prefer a FPP camera in a game like this and having a TPP camera would mean you compromise controls and fluidity of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom