FP VS TP - perspective matters

+

What perspective do YOU want in CP game ?

• FP- First person

Votes: 300 22.9%
  • TP- Third person

Votes: 457 34.9%
  • I must play TP- I have motion sickness GIVE as choice !

Votes: 99 7.6%
  • I do not care

Votes: 131 10.0%
  • I want both!

Votes: 323 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you're saying is that cutting loose their original, core fanbase is an "acceptable loss."

Bear in mind that plenty of people also didn't play The Witcher 3 because it was a medieval fantasy game, and would also be interested in Cyberpunk 2077 because it's a sci-fi game.

Then don't they lose their medieval fantasy-audience when switching to Cyberpunk? Some loss is acceptable and you clearly think so too.

There's no way that one third of the world has that kind of problem, especially when a thread complaining about FPP on an RPG-developers forum only manages to muster 8%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness
"Roughly one third of the population are highly susceptible to motion sickness and most of the rest may get motion sickness under extreme conditions. Several factors influence susceptibility to motion sickness. Statistics indicate that women are more likely to be affected than men and that the risk decreases with advancing age. There is some evidence that people with Asian ancestry get motion sickness more frequently compared with people of European ancestry, and there are situational and behavioral factors, such as whether a passenger has a view of the road ahead, and diet and eating behavior."

What percentage of the world do you presume is gamers? Probably low enough that the number of them would amount to 8% of a poll that also includes two other options requesting third-person (36%), including a more fair and reasonable request for 'both' (24%)?

Or are you going to move the goalposts now and say that 'w-well these polls mean nothing anyway!'

Don't care what you think it is or it is not possible, there are medical researches about it, and they were linked to this topic several pages ago.

Alright, link those studies please (edit already linked) Also, does the study include only gamers or everyone and how did they react to third person?

There seem to be a great deal of confusion between people who can't play in FPP because of disabilities and people who could play in FPP but don't want to because of personnal preferences, and they start to blur into each other, making this debate somewhat nonsensical.

Alright, link those studies please (edit already linked) Also, does the study include only gamers or everyone and how did they react to third person?

In the post above, the wikipedia page on the subject has been linked. Go to it, scroll down to ''references'' and you will see an exhaustive list of sources, papers, researches etc.
And bear in mind that motion sickness is not only a gaming concern, but a real life one too. And if you suffer from it while travelling in boats or planes, you 90% suffer from it in videogames too.

Guest 4311839

Or are you going to move the goalposts now and say that 'w-well these polls mean nothing anyway!'

No one are happy here some of people wont be able yo play the game because of this. But making argument as this would hurt sales because of it is false. If it would be such huge market part we would see tpp option in more fpp games.

"Roughly one third of the population are highly susceptible to motion sickness and most of the rest may get motion sickness under extreme conditions. Several factors influence susceptibility to motion sickness. Statistics indicate that women are more likely to be affected than men and that the risk decreases with advancing age. There is some evidence that people with Asian ancestry get motion sickness more frequently compared with people of European ancestry, and there are situational and behavioral factors, such as whether a passenger has a view of the road ahead, and diet and eating behavior."

What percentage of the world do you presume is gamers? Probably low enough that the number of them would amount to 8% of a poll that also includes two other options requesting third-person (36%), including a more fair and reasonable request for 'both' (24%)?

"Susceptible to motion sickness" doesn't mean "get's motion sick 100% of the time with every first person game", you're conflating the two. Some people get motion sick in the back of a car, it doesn't mean they will always get motion sick playing a game

In the post above, the wikipedia page on the subject has been linked. Go to it, scroll down to ''references'' and you will see an exhaustive list of sources, papers, researches etc.
And bear in mind that motion sickness is not only a gaming concern, but a real life one too. And if you suffer from it while travelling in boats or planes, you 90% suffer from it in videogames too.
Just in case they pull the "but none of these relate to gaming!" card, here's a few:
https://vr.arvilab.com/blog/combating-vr-sickness-debunking-myths-and-learning-what-really-works
https://www.researchgate.net/public...Console_Video_Games_and_Head-Mounted_Displays
http://jultika.oulu.fi/files/nbnfioulu-201802091218.pdf

There seem to be a great deal of confusion between people who can't play in FPP because of disabilities and people who could play in FPP but don't want to because of personnal preferences, and they start to blur into each other, making this debate somewhat nonsensical.

THIS.
Preference -> I can understand, but if you don't like something, complaining and blackmailing with "loss sales" seems a little over the top.

Disability -> Understandable, there may be some fixes such as FOV settings, mouse/joypad sensitivity controls, playing in 21:9, good pc build for high FPS, medicines, longer breaks/shorter gameplay times, etc...

If that's a preference you can't really be mad.
If that's a disability like in motion sickness, I can symphatize and I'm sorry.

I doubt motion sickness is the same as the nauscia some get from playing FPP games. I feel sick in cars but I don't feel sick playing FPP games for example, I believe there are many of us. Women are less likely to play games like these and thus lowers the number further. And sure, the % of gamers in the world lowers the % further because they the people with these problems are less likely to play video games.

Dishonest to count the other options in the poll as "potential people with difficulties from FPP".

About moving the goalpost, how about actually taking the discussion instead of assuming things? THIS poll means fuck-all and you know it. The study you're talking about is not about the same subject you're talking about and I could equally claim you're moving the goalpost by including it.

Why not link those to begin with then?

First one is trash, we both know it. VR is not the same as FPP. I'll read the rest when I get home.

Guest 4311839

What does this prove? Some people cant play FPP. Sucks. Will those people buy Cyberpunk. No. Will this hurt sales. Probably not because FPP doing fine in market. Would it sell better if had TPP probably. Would it be profitable to add TPP when? Who knows how does it much will cost and how much you need to compromise for it?

I doubt motion sickness is the same as the nauscia some get from playing FPP games. I feel sick in cars but I don't feel sick playing FPP games for example, I believe there are many of us. Women are less likely to play games like these and thus lowers the number further. And sure, the % of gamers in the world lowers the % further.

Dishonest to count the other options in the poll as "potential people with difficulties from FPP".

About moving the goalpost, how about actually taking the discussion instead of assuming things? THIS poll means fuck-all and you know it. The study you're talking about is not about the same subject you're talking about and I could equally claim you're moving the goalpost by including it.

So basically "the only polls, information and statistics, as well as anecdotal information that counts is whatever I decide, and is open to interpretation provided it conforms to my argument."

Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

Guest 4311839

So basically "the only polls, information and statistics, as well as anecdotal information that counts is whatever I decide, and is open to interpretation provided it conforms to my argument."

What exactly is you argument?

So ignoring everything that was said proves your "argument"? Good to know we can't have a civil discussion at all.

The fact that they're rare is exactly why CDPR is doing it, they want to innovate, they want to set new standards for the genre, they want to set the bar high for everyone else. Innovation is a great thing, it helps the whole industry create new experiences, rather than rehashing the same old concepts

But then - there are several cyberpunk games in fpp, while none in tpp(if there are - I never heard if them). So making a game that no one done before would be even more innovative.

Deus Ex was a fpp game with tpp cutscenes already. CDPR dis nothing new here and just stucks to tried and safe formula.

So unseen before. Much innovation. Wow.

That their claim of "I bet there aren't even that many people who suffer from motion sickness anyway!" was quintessentially a self-serving dismissal because the idea that 17-20% of gamers suffering from it is an inconvenience to their own stance in this whole mess.
I'm still waiting for a source on that 17% figure, nothing you linked says that, and Wikipedia only has the vague "a third of people are SUSCEPTIBLE to motion sickness". I've seen no concrete source saying "this is an issue that affects 17% of people who play video games, to a point where they can't play first person games at all"

• RED Point
Reactions: Fuz
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom