FPP only cutscenes might be a deal-breaker for me

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the 48 minute gameplay demo again, where there exists the only instances of TPP cutscenes. You know how much cutscene time was shown? about 50 seconds of TPP cutscenes.

If you feel like customization is ruined because you're missing out on your V in their undies brushing their teeth in the sink for 30 seconds i don't know what to tell you.

They probably have redone the cutscenes to FPP in order to make it more consistent with the entire rest of the game experience. Just by using the calculation of 50 seconds of TPP cutscenes out of a 48 minute trailer, that's 1.7% of the gameplay was a TPP cutscene. If they want to redo 1.7% of the game so the game has the same perspective feel, that's fine by me.

Watched the 48 minute gameplay demo again, where there exists the only instances of TPP cutscenes. You know how much cutscene time was shown? about 50 seconds of TPP cutscenes.

If you feel like customization is ruined because you're missing out on your V in their undies brushing their teeth in the sink for 30 seconds i don't know what to tell you.

They probably have redone the cutscenes to FPP in order to make it more consistent with the entire rest of the game experience. Just by using the calculation of 50 seconds of TPP cutscenes out of a 48 minute trailer, that's 1.7% of the gameplay was a TPP cutscene. If they want to redo 1.7% of the game so the game has the same perspective feel, that's fine by me.

Except that cutscene was implying there would be TPP cutscenes, so your point is fallacious.

You are ignoring that TPP cutscenes are the standard in WRPGs, including CDPR's own Witcher. If you show that in your footage, the people watching don't need to see cutscenes over and over again - they know what to expect because it's the current storytelling medium in RPGs.

I am keeping an open mind until more clarification comes from CDPR.

However

If it ends up being the case that would be a very strange decision to me. This is considering that they've recently stated character customization has been far more expanded, and they've stated before that there will be plenty of moments where we'll see our characters.

If not via cutscenes then I could only see it being in the inventory menu, during customization, or photo mode. That doesn't sound too right unless the vision has changed from what they previously stated.

I'm really annoyed because they have been saying we will have TPP cutscene. They have even said this during gamescom. The simple fact is they're saying 2 different things. I want to know which is it. I was okay with it being FPP because of the TPP cutscenes that would pop up from time to time. Seriously, what is the point to giving the player all these customization options if we will never see our character outside of the player menus? Also here is the Q&A where miles tost says there would be cutscene in TPP starting at 17:12. I just want to know which way it's going to be, they need to clear this up.

I'm really annoyed because they have been saying we will have TPP cutscene. They have even said this during gamescom. The simple fact is they're saying 2 different things. I want to know which is it. I was okay with it being FPP because of the TPP cutscenes that would pop up from time to time. Seriously, what is the point to giving the player all these customization options if we will never see our character outside of the player menus? Also here is the Q&A where miles tost says there would be cutscene in TPP starting at 17:12. I just want to know which way it's going to be, they need to clear this up.

I did not know that interview existed. He explicitly says there would be third-person cutscenes in some instances. I really wish someone from the team would clear this up.

I just want to know which way it's going to be, they need to clear this up.

It was Sunday, now it's Sunday night, Monday early morning in Warsaw. CDPR isn't a 24/7 operation.

Also, and this is key, things change during development. Can happen anytime.

IF it has changed.

Also they don't need to clear it up at all. They could go totally silent and release the a final build trailer the month or two before the game comes out. If it's awesome, all this will be forgiven and sales will skyrocket. Maybe they should do that. Worked for RDR 2.

Keive

Forum regular
We might not get answers directly but if we get more gameplay before release then maybe, otherwise I would just hold off on pre-ordering and wait to see what others say after the release.

They do need to clarify and honestly just give us these cutscenes back. This is BLOWING up on every video game website right now, its basically about 80% despising this news. I want my V in a thong brushing her teeth. Delay the game half a yer I don't care. Give me those cutscenes. Everyone is expecting it to get delayed anyways.

My feedback to the decision all cutscenes are (might be) in first person

Since they are not confirming or denying it, in case it is true:

Please don't do that guys, the 2018 demo third-person cutscenes looked great, and they were short, please keep those.

And romance scenes in third-person too, how awkward is a sex scene in first-person? Pleaseeee noooooooo, I beg of you don't do thatttt D: pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

I don't wanna give all the importance of the game to this but it is still pretty important to me, most of it in first-person, and some third-person here and there so we can see our character and not have super awkward romance, not even just sex but kissing, hugging just please noooooooooo.

Keive

Forum regular
Joined the discord just to see what people are saying lol.

Wow reddit is not happy it seems. Wonder if the complaints will change what they do?
But still, this isn't confirmed I guess :shrug:

Yeah, this new development is pretty disappointing. Now I am afraid that the character customization won't be that deep either and you wouldn't be able to create a unique character.

Keive

Forum regular
Yeah, this new development is pretty disappointing. Now I am afraid that the character customization won't be that deep either and you wouldn't be able to create a unique character.

I honestly still want that great customization regardless of how much I see my character, I'll just look for mirrors more Lol.
But honestly, if we never get to really see our character and also get some pretty terrible customization/ little options then they might as well have had the game been with a set in stone character (no change to appearance) like GTA or something.

Here's the full transcript, still kind of muddy

"Journalist Guy: Excellent. Nice. Are there any full-body or third person animation visible while walking by a mirror, for example?

Miles Tost: Basically, do you see yourself when you walk past a mirror?

JG: Yeah, anything more like that where we can see our V in full detail?

MT: Yeah, yeah, this is one of the tricks we tried to use to allow you, even though it's first person to see yourself--

JG: Because the bike is one. The bike is a good example.

MT: Yeah, yeah, I mean vehicles in general as well, right? Um but yeah, bike, you know, sense [garbled] as you see your own character. Mirrors exist in the game, so you walk by and you get reflected. Um, and of course we do cutscenes in which you will see, uh, your character from the third person point of view, and we use tricks right? So, um, it's actually quite fun because we can be creative right? [Garbled] if you think of the Ripperdoc scene, uh, from last [garbled/interrupted] for example--When they take the eye out, right, and then briefly you see yourself through your eye. That's one of these tricks that we try to apply to give you a--give V--as a character as much screen time as possible, but on the other hand there's really something for the first person animations that makes it much more immersive and [real?] when Sasquatch grabs you for example, I don't think this would have as nearly the same effect if it had been in third person.

JG: I think so too.

MT: And uh, so it's a balancing act. Our priorities are always the level of immersion. Um, [garbled] sometimes seeing your own character, uh, if we don't do a job in a cutscene for example it might be really weird.

JG: It might pull you out.

MT: Yeah exactly. [Garbled] But if we can contextualize it like the situation with our Ripperdoc friend over there, then it's fine.
JG: Those are amazing."

Thanks for the transcript.

Um, and of course we do cutscenes in which you will see, uh, your character from the third person point of view, and we use tricks right? So, um, it's actually quite fun because we can be creative right? [Garbled] if you think of the Ripperdoc scene,

The first sentence sounds like confirmation of TPP-cutscenes, up until "and we use tricks, right?" This "and" could be additive ("real" TPP-cutscenes PLUS tricks with mirrors or optical anhancements). And it could be inferential/concluding, like a "so" instead of the "and".
My guess is, it's pretty logical to assume, he means inferential: Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to say that they can be creative to give "V--as a character as much screen time as possible" etc., because if there would be no constraints, no restriction to FPP, they wouldn't have to get creative in the first place by findind workarounds.

BUT we should focus on "as much screen time as possible" – this means there will be cutscenes where we can see "our" V, just still from FPP. For example waking up in the night and looking out of the window that partially reflects Vs face could be atmospheric and great.

And Miles didn't "lie", it's just the flow of normal conversation that leaves details unclear when you don't look at the whole picture and quote too small tidbits.

It was Sunday, now it's Sunday night, Monday early morning in Warsaw. CDPR isn't a 24/7 operation.

Also, and this is key, things change during development. Can happen anytime.

IF it has changed.

Also they don't need to clear it up at all. They could go totally silent and release the a final build trailer the month or two before the game comes out. If it's awesome, all this will be forgiven and sales will skyrocket. Maybe they should do that. Worked for RDR 2.

These are the forums. People will voice their criticism about decisions they believe to be problematic. Surely we shouldn't be encouraging blind, unquestioning loyalty? I think even the devs would agree that (polite) feedback is preferable to "YEAH AWESOME KEEP IT UP INJECT THIS GREATNESS INTO MY EYEBALLS!!!"

For the record, even I am quite unhappy with this move. Not sure if it's enough to warrant a pre-order cancel yet or not. Have to sit on it for a while. But I will say, I really really liked what I saw of the TPP cutscenes in the 2018 demo. I thought they were attractive, well-shot, and showcased some really cool stuff, like V's glowing eyes.

It was one of the main things that staved off the anti-FPP crowd, and even my personal sentiments in that regard. I also think a lot of the arguments in favor of this change are total bunk, and filled with logical fallacies of all kinds. Some of them are downright insulting to a user's intelligence.

It doesn't help that we are hearing different things from different sources. FB account says "yes," (As in, yes to no TPP cutscenes) a forum RED (According to Shavod, unless I misunderstood him) says "yes," now, its "we don't know..."

But that's just my 2 cents, which isn't worth much in the grand scheme of things, as you point out. ;)

Good thing is that music plays more important part, instead of looking at your character, player might listen music instead, or go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom