FPP only cutscenes might be a deal-breaker for me

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 3847602

I remember the first Assassin's Creed game having the option to press the button at specific time to switch perspective during those "talking to your victim cutscenes" (admittedly, both perspectives were 3rd person, but structured very differently, one realistic, the other more abstract).
In theory that could work here as well if there's a will on CDPR part, but I suspect it was less about immersion and more about necessity and cutting the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, your last sentence is a good discussion starter. Should video games always strive to imitate "cinematic" experiences? Or maybe they should try something like Pen & Paper RPGs?

That cinematic experience make game much better, you can always have bad, ok or good story but that cinematic moments improve game much more.

Also should all game now start to be FPP only????

At about 103 min mark they state journalists said there was TP cut screens at E3 :shrug:

I don't recall anything of that sort being mentioned in any of the impressions I read. Maybe what they meant are those close-ups, that we got in the new gameplay as well, whenever V was perfoming actions like hacking a training bot. I wouldn't really count it as TPP scenes though.

This is not a deal breaker for me, but I dont like it. I really dont like it.

At first I was dissapointed that the game wont be in TPP. But I accepted it, I believed in CDPR and their decisions, FPP it is. They said back then that we will see our character in mirrors, inventory screens and in game cutscenes, and cutscenes were most important for me. I dont give a F... if I can see my character in mirror or inventory screen. I want to see how I dressed and tattooed and chromed in cutscenes at least.

I preordered the game, I believe I will enjoy it, and I believe in CDPR, but that if true could be bad decision. I wont back down on my preorder in any case, I still have hope that the game will have cutscenes like in 50 minute gameplay we saw last year

Meh, does not really concern me. I know of no games that went for full FPP, including cinematics so hey, it might be groundbreakingly great.

Besides, it does not affect gameplay.

Another thing that bothers me is that we will never see V's emotions.
One of the most emotional moments for me in Witcher 3 was seeing Geralt's face when he saw Vesemir lying dead on the ground after the Battle of Kaer Morhen.

Now the only way to show V's emotions will be through his/her voice, which will imo never be as impactful as seeing the face during certain key moments in the game.

Meh, does not really concern me. I know of no games that went for full FPP, including cinematics so hey, it might be groundbreakingly great.

Besides, it does not affect gameplay.
It's been a while so I might be remembering it wrong, but Bioshock, just off the top of my head? :shrug:

After thinking very strongly for some time I am now very confident that I am surprisingly strongly looking forward to an entirely (or almost entirely) first person perspective game, because it will add to the immersion and it will feel different and more real (in a fantasy kind of way) than any video game I have ever played before. A lot of people (not here, just way way out there far away somewhere else on the internet that I wont mention the names of, even lots of AAA developers I also wont mention the names of) Throw around buzzwords like

"Immerrrshunnnn" lol
And that's cool an everything, but I get the feeling that those individuals, (which I'm not making fun of, I think they're great people and I love them) Do not fully, how do you say, I guess immerse themselves deep enough into that actual meaning of that word. Immersion really truly means something, and I will help understand why it truly means something.

Once upon a time, I knew what it meant, but I didn't "Know" what it meant like, really "KNOW"
So one day I saw a movie I really enjoyed so deeply because it was so in tune with what I like that I felt that the people who made that movie KNEW ME. I suddenly felt overwhelmed with this feeling of "IMMERSION!!!!!!!" that I had never felt before.

It was then at that moment that I truly finally knew for the first time ever what immersion really was. I FELT LIKE I WAS THERE. It was AMAZING.

This opinion I have is coming from (me) a person that is ALL about customization. I'm a customization maniac. I love customization, and I want to be able to customize everything from my vehicles, to my weapons, to my clothing, to my home, to my characters body and even more, But I still want them game to be fully FPP, as long as I have many and constant opportunities to see my own character including but not limited to mirrors and motorcycles 3rd person. I want many more options than that. I know we can all have our cake and eat it too. WE CAN HAVE IT BOTH WAYS! I let go of all limitations. I accept the possibility of the impossibility. I know CDProjektRed can do this, because they know how things be, and it DO.

Trust them. They are the chosen ones.

As planned from the beginning : very few in TPP, most of all in FPP. We already saw it with 2 gameplay

Same for me. Quick little TPP cutscenes like this that smoothly transition back to FPP don't pull me out of a game. If anything I feel more immersed since I get to see my character how I spec'd and outfitted them, plus their nuanced expressions based on the type of character I want to play.

Say I've received a mission that will take me into an enemy stronghold, and I've been playing a Solo type character. To prepare for the mission I upgrade my armor and outfit, visit a Ripper Doc and install cyberware that replaces my eyes with more advanced targeting which turns them red as a result. I WANT to see my badass self step off an elevator into an enemy controlled building ready to wreck some shit. That to me is more immersive.

Exactly, seeing my character in an RPG actually helps immersion. I'm not roleplaying as myself after all...

While I dont agree it will be the biggest disappointment in 20 years (i think Anthem stole that crown)

Really? You had any expectations for that after what had already become of BioWare before that?

Witcher 3 has 13 hours of main story! tpp cutscenes and it was the most immersive game I ever played. I don't buy any immersion related justification for the removal of tpp cutscenes. I think it's a huge mistake to get rid of tpp cutscenes. Considering how important the character creation is for many people and they want to see their character from time to time after they spent a lot of time making their dream PC, I find this decision (if true) even more incomprehensible.
It's sad that every news I hear about the game in the last months, makes me want to play the game less.

Agreed, TPP helps immersion in RPGs imo.

Well, your last sentence is a good discussion starter. Should video games always strive to imitate "cinematic" experiences? Or maybe they should try something like Pen & Paper RPGs? By the way, Half-Life 1 & 2 are always praised for their FPP storytelling qualities... So, discussion?

Well, for one, Half Life aren't RPGs. There is no character customization in it. Another example is Bioshock, the FPP only worked great for that game. But again, those aren't RPGs, they are story-focused first-person shooters. In an RPG it is integral for immersion, that you get a feel for your character and seeing them helps that.

The more time is pass and more news come out about CP2077, all they say about game sound like false advertising, close to PnP not even close, you can print your character sheet and use it in PnP game, no you can't even that, magic ability that don't have any sense and go against cyberpunk lore, and now even no TPP cutscenes .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom