FPP only cutscenes might be a deal-breaker for me

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the strict adherence to FPP cutscenes and gameplay makes sense since its intended to be a MP platform as well. Sure the development time is separate, but if they want PvP mp they probably want to avoid switching between perspectives. Which of course directly ties into the cutscenes being all in FPP... its less work for them crafting cutscenes and they might as well keep it all the same for "immersion and fluidity". I was wondering if it all was connected to MP before somehow and it does make sense.

Both Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect 3 had the singleplayer portions (powers for example) redone to work with the Co Op MP... so it would make sense if the strict FPP here was connected to it having possible PvP MP.

Not that I agree with the cutscenes being mainly FPP because I prefer TPP in all things... But I do have a feeling the MP is connected to it all. For me, the less I see my character, the less I care about my character, and its the cutscenes above all that make me care about my character. But obviously thats contextual to the story happening in regards to those cutscenes...

Certainly not a deal breaker for myself, I'm definitely not missing out on possibly one of the best games ever made due to trivial things like FPP cutscenes. It's there for immersion anyway as has been mentioned numerous times, something they have to keep repeating because people don't seem to get or want to accept it.

Immersion isn't the best word. I'll avoid using it if I can.

Changes in perspective can be jarring and or break the visual flow. Watch a movie. They use changes in camera angle to visually guide the viewer and for the most part you are viewing the narrative from a 'third perspective'. It is rare, and done for a very specific narrative purpose, to switch to a first perspective.

Games are different. In games you are, or would prefer to be choosing where you look. Any pulling your view 'like in a movie' can be irritating for people.
By sticking to First Person, CDPR are giving you, the player full control over what you see through the eyes of your character and by eliminating third person cutscenes they are attempting to eliminate noticeable breaks in the flow.
This is quite different to having full control over where a third person camera looks and most notably different to the 'jerk' you might get from a cutscene in which the game dev is showing you where to look in the same way as a movie director.

(edit for clarity)

Last edited:
So, deleted several posts.

We aren't having the FPP/TPP discussion yet AGAIN here. Time to move on.

If you'd like to discuss cutscenes, that's different. If you veer into FPP/TPP gameplay, those will probably be deleted.

And sooner or later, this subject will -also- run it's course.

Around the time we see lots of circular arguments, in fact.

Guest 4310777

The point is add an option, I agree with your explanation, the problem is that we want an option. Fallout is a perfect example, just like you said I remember picking up items in fpp and then equip what I just found and walk out of the bar in tpp as a bad ass.

TPP animations in Fallout are so dodgy, no doubt there will be a TPP mod for 2077 with similar rudimentary animation quality. CDPR might even make it very simple, with a single variable tweak in some config file somewhere, but it shouldn't be a difficult hack regardless. There is also a very small chance that the animations will translate surprisingly well to TPP, because they have animated all the player actions to be visible in FPP. Regardless, I think people will be surprised at how dodgy TPP feels in the context of a game that has been designed from the ground up for FPP.

Even though I don't like FPP much due to motion sickness(like how can you fully enjoy even the best game in the world if you're feeling unwell while playing it), I agree with some of the points made in favor of it. It's true that it enchances the flow of the actual game.
But as a drawback, you remain disconnected from the character. V isn't a blank sheet, "It" is more similar to a Commander Shepard. You'll have much freedom but there is a limit to everything. Alone the story may take you in a direction you, as a player, do not want to go. True freedom in games is unachievable.

There are great FPP and TPP games, but they are remembered differently. The player character in FPP games is forgettable, because you do not forge an emotional connection with him/her. In TPP, even if it's only in cutscenes, you see the character. You come to see him as his own Person, and not just an extention of your will. You begin to care what happens to that person.
Ultimately it makes for two very different experiences.

I'm a bit salty about their choosen direction, but can't condemn them before I've played the game.

Still, in the meantime I have a new slogan for the game:

Cyberpunk 2077 - "Immersed in the game, detached from the character."

Guest 3847602

Cyberpunk 2077 - "Immersed in the game, detached from the character."
Let's wait and see, it does seem unconventional, but claiming with utmost certainty that it's impossible to get attached to your character in FPP game is a bit over the top. I got more investment in The Nameless One than any other character I've played with, despite him being a tiny 2D sprite (and I'm hardly alone in that). Ultimately, it's the writing and to a lesser extent voice acting that will decide if players are gonna feel invested in V or not.
Again, I understand those concerns but it's far too early to conclude anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
TPP animations in Fallout are so dodgy, no doubt there will be a TPP mod for 2077 with similar rudimentary animation quality. CDPR might even make it very simple, with a single variable tweak in some config file somewhere, but it shouldn't be a difficult hack regardless. There is also a very small chance that the animations will translate surprisingly well to TPP, because they have animated all the player actions to be visible in FPP. Regardless, I think people will be surprised at how dodgy TPP feels in the context of a game that has been designed from the ground up for FPP.
I agree, I actually think its to late to add TPP. I'm not asking for the whole game to be TPP mind you, having an option say when you sit in a bench, dance or lean on a wall or something. there should be an option. You supportive of people wanting to enjoy the game like that?

Where did you make that up from?

VtmB was like that, if your stats and weapons skill affect how shooting is aim, hit chance, damage, crit chance, it is RPG, you build character who is good at shooting, it have nothing to do with your personal skill.

If you have shooting who don't depend on your stats or weapon skill, but just your own personal skill like COD, then that is more pure shooter who can have some RPG elements like for example some perks who give you more damge on chain kills.

A games rpg-ness is not wholly dependent on shooting mechanics in games with either first person or third person cutscenes.

RPG need to tie all up, every stat and every skill need to tie to your character how all that affect him on all levels in combat, dialogue, events, if i build good melee character who is also charismatic, but have zero range skills i would be really really bad at shooting, that is true RPG i made my character who depend on skills and stats he is bad at range fight, but not becouse of my personal skill, becouse he don't have stats and skills for that.

And that is just from character perspective.

Guest 4310777

I agree, I actually think its to late to add TPP. I'm not asking for the whole game to be TPP mind you, having an option say when you sit in a bench, dance or lean on a wall or something. there should be an option. You supportive of people wanting to enjoy the game like that?

Sounds good to me. They could've also gone for a TPP cover system, like Deus Ex HR. I would laugh if the final game has loads of TPP lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom