FPP only cutscenes might be a deal-breaker for me

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, money matters no? They have 400 people working on this game, lots of games are made with staff of 150 to 200. I think you guys are underestimating this project.

I think you are overestimating CDPR's resources. They don't have the money to throw around like EA or Bethesda.
Their own consumer friendly approach is hindering them in this case. They are not in the red, but their profit margin is not really that high ($28.6 million in 2018, with 2019 likely be lower).

Cyberpunk may be CDPR's biggest project yet, but it's far from the biggest ever. It will be a good, probably great game, but it's unlikely to revolutionize.

Last edited:
Hmm, money matters no? They have 400 people working on this game, lots of games are made with staff of 150 to 200. I think you guys are underestimating this project.
And Treyarch, Call of Duty developers, have a staff of 620. And they've been doing their cutscenes exclusively in first-person for multiple games. And I'm almost positive CDPR money isn't Activision money. I don't think anyone's underestimating this, just maybe our expectations are a bit more grounded.

CDPR may be talented, but it's highly doubtful they're going to do something revolutionary with cutscenes in first-person on their very first try just because they had great success with their last game, which was with third-person cutscenes. That's like expecting an NFL player to go to the NBA for the first time and dominate just because they were the MVP of the last Superbowl. :shrug:

And Treyarch, Call of Duty developers, have a staff of 620. And they've been doing their cutscenes exclusively in first-person for multiple games. And I'm almost positive CDPR money isn't Activision money. I don't think anyone's underestimating this, just maybe our expectations are a bit more grounded.

CDPR may be talented, but it's highly doubtful they're going to do something revolutionary with cutscenes in first-person on their very first try just because they had great success with their last game, which was with third-person cutscenes. That's like expecting an NFL player to go to the NBA for the first time and dominate just because they were the MVP of the last Superbowl. :shrug:

On the other hand, it is questionable if Call of Duty is actually trying to came up with something new and revolutionary.

My first thought cool we get character customization... Then no TPP really come on fine we still got SPP :cool:then... No TPP in cut scenes. WHY oh come on what's next on the chooping block. Now the only way to took at your character is SPP cut scenes or a freaking mirror:facepalm:. What if I want to just look at my 5 hour long customization of my character with all those assets I just can't:giveup: it's like there trying to make looking at your character as inconvenient as possible.

Relax people. We all know that this isn't going to stop you from playing the game. You'll get over it.

Actually I cancelled my pre-order on the basis of this, as it indicated one too many dubious design decisions, so... ;)
Hello,​
I have confirmed your payment information. Your order is now cancelled and our accounts team will issue the refund shortly. Please keep in mind that, once we issue a refund, it can take up to a few business days before the money is actually returned to your account.​
Best regards,​
Irrehaare​
GOG Support Team​
This alone would not have derailed my planned purchase, but it just doesn't look like it is going to be what I was hoping for. I might revisit a year or two after release when the game has been patched and hopefully modded, but I am out for now.

I think you're a bit too hyped. CDPR could surprise us, but they won't reinvent the wheel.

We have also seen games with full FPP before, like Dishonored, so we know what we can realistically expect.

I'm sure you know your own tastes enough to know what design decisions are most likely to effect your enjoyment of a game and I have sympathy for you.

However, while they may not reinvent the wheel, they may innovate enough to create cutscenes that have more impact than we have ever seen before in FPP, or indeed anywhere. I'm excited about the flowing, interactive cutscenes they seem to be aiming for and, if it works, it could be something that other gaming companies start to imitate, such could be its impact.

If any company is going to try something new (and if successful I think it will feel new, rather than simply feeling like Dishonored) then CDPR are definitely one of the companies I would put faith in.

I remain optimistic :)

I'm sure you know your own tastes enough to know what design decisions are most likely to effect your enjoyment of a game and I have sympathy for you.

However, while they may not reinvent the wheel, they may innovate enough to create cutscenes that have more impact than we have ever seen before in FPP, or indeed anywhere. I'm excited about the flowing, interactive cutscenes they seem to be aiming for and, if it works, it could be something that other gaming companies start to imitate, such could be its impact.

If any company is going to try something new (and if successful I think it will feel new, rather than simply feeling like Dishonored) then CDPR are definitely one of the companies I would put faith in.

I remain optimistic :)
What footage have you seen that everyone else hasn't?

Well, we have also seen interactive cutscenes before, in Mass Effect, with the Paragon & Renegade Interrupts. I fully expect CDPR to do something very similar to that. The only difference would be the perspective.

Well, we have also seen interactive cutscenes before, in Mass Effect, with the Paragon & Renegade Interrupts. I fully expect CDPR to do something very similar to that. The only difference would be the perspective.
Maybe I'm missing what you think is "interactive cutscenes". The dialogue options in the cutscene? If that's what you mean, Fallout 4 had the option to do all their dialogue cutscenes in FPP

The decision to go mostly FP for cutscenes just tells me CDPR is either seriously considering a VR version or have already begun to develop it.

Maybe I'm missing what you think is "interactive cutscenes". The dialogue options in the cutscene? If that's what you mean, Fallout 4 had the option to do all their dialogue cutscenes in FPP
For me, when I think of "interactive cutscenes", I think of the Call of Duty ones where while you aren't in direct control of the character, you can still look around and observe your surroundings. Any more interactivity than that, and is it really considered a cutscene any more? :shrug:

In the deep dive video you can see the "interactive scene system" the guy grabs your hand and take something out of it. Has this been done before? NPC tried to steal something from you, if you arent focused.

Last edited:
In the deep dive video you can see the "interactive scene system" the guy grabs your hand and take something out of it. Has this been done before? NPC tried to steal something from you, if you arent focused.
You mean the part where the Voodoo Boy tries to forcibly jack you in but you can choose to make V refuse and the cutscene plays? Yeah, it's been done before...I mean, not the jacking in stuff, but making a decision in-game and seeing the cutscene reflecting that decision play out.

Tons of times. It can be likened to a 'quicktime event' in games that tell you to press X to dodge the punch in a cutscene. It's a 20 year old gameplay mechanic lol

True artists must go their own way. They cannot listen to Internet outrage. If every artist throughout history bent to social pressure we'd have a grey and boring world indeed.

Let's trust CDPR and give them the opportunity to prove us wrong.

True artists must go their own way. They cannot listen to Internet outrage. If every artist throughout history bent to social pressure we'd have a grey and boring world indeed.

Let's trust CDPR and give them the opportunity to prove us wrong.

Yup! I once compared this type of thing to food. When a chef says:

"We're going to make a burger, but instead of meat, we're going to use mushrooms and avocado."

...others are bound to go...

"...!? Whut...? No way, man! Are you crazy!? I'm not eating that!! Etc.!!!"

The chef can try to explain. But it's likely to just generate more uproar. Instead, the chef should just make the dish, then put a piece into someone's mouth.

...!?

"OH MY GOD, that's AMAZING!!!"

Just...let the chefs cook. Then, try the dish.

Or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom