FPP/TPP Perspective Thread OPEN. Be NICE.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Making the PC omniscient so they can fight baddies in a 360 degree circle and see around corners might make the game more fun/easier to play/generally more pleasant, but those things aren't the same as immersion. It means to put something into another thing, like wrapping the world around a player's perspective in the case of FPP literally putting the game world around the player. Immersion does not mean enjoyable features, dynamic dialogue, beautiful cinematics, or intuitive controls, although those are important aspects of game design so can we just stop using "immersion" as a catch all for whatever we prefer and instead say specifically the what's and why's of what we want?

Two posts edited.

DO NOT start making personal judgements about others or attempting to belittle points of view that differ from your own.

DO NOT engage with people that are being antagonistic. Simply flag such posts using the report function.

It's kinda ironic. Witcher - no character creation, full TPP. Cyberpunk - extensive character creation, only FPP. It almost feels like a cruel tease. So many games don't have any character appearance tweaking, yet TPP is at their core. Here we have it and nope...

... Touch but don't taste.

just a point: you'll rarely have a single issue with a FPS camera view. it will not get stuck, won't zoom on your character when close to a wall, won't clip with models or props when it happens , you won't be confused, unable to play correctly for a split second while you reorient yourself (and you know how important a second can be in the middle of a fight) I've never seen someone complain about the FPS view (I mean for other reasons than "I don't like it that way") but I've seen thousands of people cursing about the camera when it's a TPS game for forementioned reasons. and for all those same reasons, the mere presence of such camera glitches and hiccups is enough to drastically lower the immersive factor of any game that aims to make immersion one of its key features.

TPP was a sucker. I remember the times (20 years ago or so), when game magazines CONSTANTLY bitched about camera in TPP games. At some point complaints just ceased. Gamepads didn't have sticks and devs had to link camera to character's orientation. Games like Tomb Raider were pure nightmare (in addition to unresponsive controls). These days, with mouse or stick control, TPP camera is rarely an issue. So I don't see much complaint about TPP either. Witcher had plenty indoors and camera didn't give me any troubles.

You can see how it should be done -> Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Mirror's Edge (the original one), SOMA, METRO and Portal (and those i forgot)

the Metro series of games really are a model of immersing the player in their world, maybe even better than what Half Life did a decade before. I would also add STALKER to that list since it's open world on top of everything else.

also animation for picking up item, pushing a button, opening door, can be really tedious, look RDR2 they say that is one of worst part of the game.
One of the best parts to me, it makes you feel like you are doing that and not just pushing a button on keyboard/pad :)

Last edited:
It's kinda ironic. Witcher - no character creation, full TPP. Cyberpunk - extensive character creation, only FPP. It almost feels like a cruel tease. So many games don't have any character appearance tweaking, yet TPP is at their core. Here we have it and nope...

... Touch but don't taste.

Maybe they're getting vengeance on us for all of the Ciripunk requests?

FPP is fine as its already stated that is how it is going to be. As long as I have a chance the look at my character I am ok with that.

I bet it'll be the same as Mass Effect: Excellent woman voice actor, somewhat-okayish man voice actor.
I hope not. If I have to play the female version of the character to get the immersion quality voice acting, and yet I can't see my avatar due to FPP, then I'd really like to have a main sidekick to look at other than the smelly looking guy who seems to dominate the gameplay clips we've seen so far. Yennefer will work just fine for that.

TPP is going to be hell in a cramped place like Night City.
Havent played any CD Projekt game yet, but the 3 Dark Souls (especially the first one) were a good example of what happens when you are in caves and castles with fast paced combat. The camera is worst than any enemy.

The FPP has grown on me. And given what CDPR is trying to accomplish with this game, I think it works. Am I thrilled about it? No. Is it a dealbreaker? No. All I hope for is that not every cutscene is in FPP. I'd rather most cutscenes be in TPP.

At least we don't have to drive in first person, so I'm more grateful for that.

but the 3 Dark Souls (especially the first one) were a good example of what happens when you are in caves and castles with fast paced combat.

Camera work fine in Dark Souls also you need to look out that your weapon don't hit wall, but camera work fine even on keyboard and mouse, fair if you didn't like it.

Also why all say Night City is cramped place? from demo we see is not street are big like inside of the mega building where V live, even werehouse where Maelstrom gang are is big.

Witcher medieval architecture is not same as modern or sci fi architecture.
Post automatically merged:

Small room or space will be small in both TPP and FPP, since your character occupy the same space in that room in both view.

Last edited:
After seeing the 48min gameplay demo, I'm cool with the fpp now, although I do prefer tpp. As long as I get to see my fem V in cut scenes (and by the looks of things we do) I'm happy

I like FPP better for immersion and fidelity but I'm a bit undecided on the animations. I would like those to be just functional and context based rather than cosmetic and pre-calculated.

I would like, IE when picking up an object, to grab it, put it away and be able to go in the inventory pick, up the object and being able to take a good look at it by turning and flipping it freely in V's hand/hands.
Also when in front of something triggerable, ike a switch, a door handle and so on, I would like V to reach it without the need to be placed exactly where a fixed animation needs to start.

If such things couldn't be done I would rather be without them.

All I hope for is that not every cutscene is in FPP. I'd rather most cutscenes be in TPP.
Some cutscene's will be in third person, but it sounds to me like most will be FPP. They want the player to be able to perform actions within scenes usually for narrative immersion, which means keeping the FPP. However some more "cinematic" moments will be TPP cut scenes. Here's a video interview about it. The key part is right near the start for this discussions purpose (i.e. first 2 minutes or so).

So like, if you think about the demo, V waking up in her apartment with the beau is TPP, but a lot of the demo "scenes" like the convo with Stout, the meeting with Dumdum and Royce, and the conversation with Dex are still in FPP.

I'm still quite concerned about how FPP is actually shown on screen. I really have a hard time getting immersed in a game if I am an invisible head. For example if I sit in a chair right now I can casually look straight ahead and still see my legs and if I glance to the left or right I can see my shoulders and arms instead of just my hands which is much more the norm of FPP. If I am walking and look down, I can see my shoes and legs versus seeing nothing. If I point a gun, I can see from at least my elbows to my hand versus just giant hands holding a big gun. If I am staring down at a dead body of a person I just killed, I normally would be able to see my legs/feet near the body unless my POV gets very close to the body.

I guess we shall see.

The only cramped place in CP demo was that room with a girl when you visit the doc. Either way, Witcher proves that it's not the real reason.

I'm playing God of War right now and that camera gets me killed occasionally as it bumps into walls when I'm moving fast. Same thing happens in RDR2 - I prefer FPP for fights in RDR2 by far. I look purty in TPP of course.

And that happened to me in Witcher as well, absolutely. Cave fights..shudder. Some Novigrad internals.

Cyberpunk will have lots of tight quarters, just like real life. Stores, hallways, bedrooms, elevators.

Also, camera view is a part of the "real reason". CDPR isn't lying to you. They don't have some hidden FPP agenda they are executing. They feel that FPP is important for perspective in the game they are playing, that where the camera is matters in terms of space and verticality.

You may disagree ( not that you've played CP in first or third person and you can bet they have) but it's not a falsehood or some hidden truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom