FPP/TPP Perspective Thread OPEN. Be NICE.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to be frank my problem is not only the game is first person only (even if that alone in a rpg is underwhelming where you are supposed to create your character), my main problem is cyberpunk 2077 also has a bad first person pretty much like many countless fps in the market.
How is the first person bad?

<clip> my main problem is cyberpunk 2077 also has a bad first person pretty much like many countless fps in the market.
Hard to say if it's "good" or "bad" because the perspective is what it is, first person.

As long as they don't make "classic" mistakes; putting your "eyes" in the middle of your chest, not permiting you to see your feet, etc. it's fine. Animations are animations, good first person are no more, or less, difficult then good third person. Personally I prefer third for the increased situational awareness because in a puter game peripheral vision is limited or non existent, you can't take a quick glance to the side, rarely do games factor in hearing noises to the side/behind. All that tends to create a "soda straw" view of the world in first person.

Hard to say if it's "good" or "bad" because the perspective is what it is, first person.

As long as they don't make "classic" mistakes; putting your "eyes" in the middle of your chest, not permiting you to see your feet, etc. it's fine. Animations are animations, good first person are no more, or less, difficult then good third person. Personally I prefer third for the increased situational awareness because in a puter game peripheral vision is limited or non existent, you can't take a quick glance to the side, rarely do games factor in hearing noises to the side/behind. All that tends to create a "soda straw" view of the world in first person.

If you allow me, I'd also add that first person games rarely makes me feel like my character is a "real person". Most of the time I just feel like I'm a pair of floating hands (yes, hands, because we NEVER even get to see our own arms) and this breaks any possibility of immersion I could have in a FPP game.

If you allow me, I'd also add that first person games rarely makes me feel like my character is a "real person". Most of the time I just feel like I'm a pair of floating hands (yes, hands, because we NEVER even get to see our own arms) and this breaks any possibility of immersion I could have in a FPP game.
Again, it depends ENTIRELY on how it's implemented.

There are lots of examples of bad first person, and a few good ones. There's nothing inherently "better" or "worse" between first and third.

Again, it depends ENTIRELY on how it's implemented.

There are lots of examples of bad first person, and a few good ones. There's nothing inherently "better" or "worse" between first and third.

I agree. I didn't say that a first person perspective game will inherently be a bad game, on the contrary.

I was thinking about FPS games I played and even though some of them were good games, I could not feel immersed at all because of this "floating hands" phenomenon. Some examples of this: Dishonored and Dishonored 2, Doom, Wolfeinstein... all of them are solid games, although I couldn't help but feel that they would be great if done with a third person camera with rightly done animations imo.

Fortunately, I'm fairly certain you'll be able to see not just your legs, but full body + arms in 2077.

Personally I prefer third for the increased situational awareness because in a puter game peripheral vision is limited or non existent, you can't take a quick glance to the side, rarely do games factor in hearing noises to the side/behind

Funny enough, first person games actually employ audio queues much more than third person games, precisely for that situational awareness.

Last edited:
Funny enough, first person games actually employ audio queues much more than third person games, preciselly for that situational awareness.

I have a feeling it was First Person Perspective games that used positional audio first.

Funny enough, first person games actually employ audio queues much more than third person games, preciselly for that situational awareness.
yep, but you need at least a 5.1 system to take advantage of it. That's why I bought a headset a couple of years ago (it really makes the difference, even in a game like bloodborne. You don't need it there, but from software is GREAT at in-game audio and music).

In FPP, the game relies pretty heavily on players own perception that is further distorted by how the game works (limited vision, controls, the way the character moves, audio design and its possible problems like the players speakers etc).

This could be helped via a minimap that reflects the characters perception, but it still takes the players focus away from the screen center where all the ”action” happens.

3rd person would be better in that regard, but of course FPP can be adjusted so, that it compensates the lack of senses (i.e. the afore mentioned minimap and slower and more deliberately tactical action through interface and gameplay mechanics instead of mindless flailing around), but that kind of approach doesn’t really tend to cater to people at large.

What I would need from FPP is
  1. perfect audio positioning
  2. fov setting
  3. hit direction indicator
TPP is bit like cheating if we play stealth/cover since you can see all behind corners, over grass/bushes and so on.

Link goes deep. Loads of good times and more laughs to shake a stick at.

Probably shouldn't cheat at all. Maybe if your done with the game after a few times, but not for the first run or last boss.
Especially if you are a "more mario than thou gamer" and have to review things.

If a game is TPP then it is inherently not cheating, like cheating maybe, but that is just game physics most of the time. With that said I completely agree that TPP is like cheating, but only because you are comparing it with real life, which FPP is based on. You can't say the devs forced us to cheat because it was TPP. Cheating is still a choice on the part of the player. That's what makes it not cool.

We are going to be able to see around some things while taking cover and probably see through some walls. Those things are in the demo, but things could change. There will probably be a few op cyberwares, but that is part of the universe. I like TPP, but I hope 2077 is a FPP challenge for me, so that I may plummet out of my comfort zone. It won't be that hard, or that big of a deal, and I'm never going to care about cheating in 2077 no matter how actually hard it is.
I'm pretty sure people can do whatever they want with a game they spent money on. It doesn't mean their choices are going to be accepted in whatever community comes out of 2077.

Immersion is different on every person's eyes and mind.
To me the fpp animation lacks "weight". It felt to me no more than any other fps games like destiny or apex legends, but i admit its good that you can see part of your body. I was expecting something more than just average first person shooter mechanics. They didnt add a "take cover animation" like in the division 2 ( in fpp of course ) all of the gun fight demo felt like counter strike where when you took cover behind walls you still point your gun towards the wall. I think that that is a good aspect to add If they want us to be IN THE GAME like some had stated. And the reloading, would you reloadd your gun while facing the enemy that is raining bullet at you? Perhaps some of you would. But in a real fire fight that is a bad idea.
Now i know this is a video game, but the devs main point when they said they will only go for fpp was to get us more ENGAGED into the game, if thats what they are after then why not make it as seamless as possible and make the gun fight to be as close to how a real gunfight is rather just pick up an fps mechanics that has been there since counter strike. (Well maybe not exact copy of counter strike, i admit you can see your limbs and all and they adjusted the camera height far better)

I love TPP, played FO4 in tpp, explore the world as i admire the scenery and how cool my charavter looked and switched to FPP when i need a more precise aim in a tight gunfight. But if the devs had not went with average fps mechanics i would flip and play the game while my mouth is sizzling with white foam i sware on me mum.

All in all,
If devs said fpp is the best the i'd say tpp players who cant/won't play in fpp to just wait for youtube videos and watch a game play or two. There will be many gameplay videos and at least that way we can get to feel the night city without feeling nauseated while eating your favorite snacks.
Post automatically merged:

Or add that part like in detroit in the gunfight where theres a small time gap where you can actually order you AI friend to do certain things.

Like in a firefight, you (V) took a cover behind a wall while reloading you point your crosshair to jackie and a dialogue window pops up to let you choose wether jackie should throw some grenade or provide cover as you strom in, the dialogue will dissapear if you fail to choose within 3 second.

Wont that actually make you more IN THE GAME and ENGAGED?

Last edited:
Immersion is different on every person's eyes and mind.
To me the fpp animation lacks "weight". It felt to me no more than any other fps games like destiny or apex legends, but i admit its good that you can see part of your body. I was expecting something more than just average first person shooter mechanics. They didnt add a "take cover animation" like in the division 2 ( in fpp of course ) all of the gun fight demo felt like counter strike where when you took cover behind walls you still point your gun towards the wall. I think that that is a good aspect to add If they want us to be IN THE GAME like some had stated. And the reloading, would you reloadd your gun while facing the enemy that is raining bullet at you? Perhaps some of you would. But in a real fire fight that is a bad idea.
Now i know this is a video game, but the devs main point when they said they will only go for fpp was to get us more ENGAGED into the game, if thats what they are after then why not make it as seamless as possible and make the gun fight to be as close to how a real gunfight is rather just pick up an fps mechanics that has been there since counter strike. (Well maybe not exact copy of counter strike, i admit you can see your limbs and all and they adjusted the camera height far better)

I love TPP, played FO4 in tpp, explore the world as i admire the scenery and how cool my charavter looked and switched to FPP when i need a more precise aim in a tight gunfight. But if the devs had not went with average fps mechanics i would flip and play the game while my mouth is sizzling with white foam i sware on me mum.

All in all,
If devs said fpp is the best the i'd say tpp players who cant/won't play in fpp to just wait for youtube videos and watch a game play or two. There will be many gameplay videos and at least that way we can get to feel the night city without feeling nauseated while eating your favorite snacks.
Post automatically merged:

Or add that part like in detroit in the gunfight where theres a small time gap where you can actually order you AI friend to do certain things.

Like in a firefight, you (V) took a cover behind a wall while reloading you point your crosshair to jackie and a dialogue window pops up to let you choose wether jackie should throw some grenade or provide cover as you strom in, the dialogue will dissapear if you fail to choose within 3 second.

Wont that actually make you more IN THE GAME and ENGAGED?
All of these are good ideas. The really important thing is lots of contextual animations for FPP.

If you are going to ditch an entire perspective on the basis of immersion, I feel like you really need to deliver. I'm no longer upset about it at all, this is just how I feel.

Give us animations for picking stuff up, opening doors, interacting with keypads, sitting down and the like. Nobody is asking for longer, RDR2-style stuff (though I'd not be opposed to that, I know lots of people hate it so fair enough). Just short ones.

All of these are good ideas. The really important thing is lots of contextual animations for FPP.

If you are going to ditch an entire perspective on the basis of immersion, I feel like you really need to deliver. I'm no longer upset about it at all, this is just how I feel.

Give us animations for picking stuff up, opening doors, interacting with keypads, sitting down and the like. Nobody is asking for longer, RDR2-style stuff (though I'd not be opposed to that, I know lots of people hate it so fair enough). Just short ones.

Yea, at first i was dissappointed when i found out that they gonna go with fpp but i know all these talks wont change their mind.

I agree with you, i have so many to say and i exhaled at the realization that its all futile. I'll just wait for youtuber vids for this game. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom