FPS doesn't increase

+
FPS doesn't increase

My system is
AMD FX 6100 3.9 ghz
8 gb ddr3 ram
Msi HD 6850 O.C./Power Edition.
Windows 10 Pro

On lowest or highest setting, I get around 45 fps. And it occasionally drops to 30+ according to scene.
https://i.imgur.com/lhPlTWe.jpg

Looking to system requirements, I should get amazing fps values but noooo, it's stuck below 60 no matter what.

Vsync off.
Gpu usage is around %99.
Cpu usage is around %30-50.
Video ram usage is 700+mb (my card is 1024 mb)
Memory usage is around 4gb.
Hardware temperatures are not high.
Drivers are not outdated. Even oldest driver of this card should give good fps on "this" game...
Windows is up to date.
No background processes.
Game is GOG version. I downloaded it yesterday.

Just FYI: I also can't increase my fps much on cs go with graphic settings btw. (it's around 120 but it sometimes drops to even twenties...)
FYI2: I can play other games quite well. For example, graphic settings changes fps value in Battlefield 3. I usually get 60+ fps on that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

katayhan;n10887481 said:
Any help would be greatly appreciated

I remember forcing triple buffering in TW2 for that purpose back in the day when I had GTS 450. It wasn't very dramatic improvement, but it was still noticeable. Worth a try.
I used D3DOverrider to enable it, but I think Catalyst Control Center should have that option, too.

ooodrin;n10888731 said:
I remember forcing triple buffering in TW2 for that purpose back in the day when I had GTS 450. It wasn't very dramatic improvement, but it was still noticeable. Worth a try.
I used D3DOverrider to enable it, but I think Catalyst Control Center should have that option, too.

Tried both ways, unfortunately nothing changed at all

katayhan;n10887481 said:
Gpu usage is around %99.

The HD 6850 was a middle-range card back at the time the game was released. And TW2 was very demanding. I was on a pretty mean ASUS RoG laptop when I played it, and I regularly experienced framerate dives. I think that what you're seeing now sounds about right for your specs.

What I'd recommend is trying to decrease the resolution. Try lowering it to 1280x720 or 1366x768. (Maybe even lower.) You can choose to have the GPU scale it to fit the screen (which may make things a bit blurry), or simply minimize the draw space (which will keep the image crisp, but play in a smaller "window"). That's often a great way to keep graphics settings cranked up to High-Ultra while still getting better performance.

To be honest, though, I don't think a smooth 60 FPS is going to be possible without knocking down a lot of the graphical settings.

SigilFey;n10916552 said:
What I'd recommend is trying to decrease the resolution. Try lowering it to 1280x720 or 1366x768. (Maybe even lower.)

As I already said in my first post, "On lowest or highest setting, I get around 45 fps. ". Even on lowest setting and 640x480 resolution, I get exactly same fps. No change at all.

Thanks for you interest tho

1.) Do you use anything like Radeon Pro or FRAPs (anything that may introduce a frame cap)?

2.) What is the Vsync setting in the GPU Control Panel (On, Off, Adaptive, Half-Refresh Rate, Controlled by the 3D application, etc.)? In tandem with this, what is your monitor's refresh rate set to (60 Hz, 120 Hz, 144 Hz, etc.)?

3.) Are you running fullscreen or windowed/borderless?

SigilFey;n10916984 said:
1.) Do you use anything like Radeon Pro or FRAPs (anything that may introduce a frame cap)?

2.) What is the Vsync setting in the GPU Control Panel (On, Off, Adaptive, Half-Refresh Rate, Controlled by the 3D application, etc.)? In tandem with this, what is your monitor's refresh rate set to (60 Hz, 120 Hz, 144 Hz, etc.)?

3.) Are you running fullscreen or windowed/borderless?

1.) Nope.

2.) Off. 60hz

3.) Tried both

Hm. I'm thinking that it's simply your hardware's upper limit. The game is both GPU and CPU intensive for different things, so a bottleneck would be logical with anything at mid-range specs. If you want, you can submit this to CDPR Tech Support directly:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

It seems you've run the gamut as far as system settings. Strange that you see no difference at all at various detail levels, though... Might be worth asking! Be sure to include a dxdiag run using the 64-bit option. Let us know if anything develops!

Hm. I'm thinking that it's simply your hardware's upper limit. The game is both GPU and CPU intensive for different things, so a bottleneck would be logical with anything at mid-range specs. If you want, you can submit this to CDPR Tech Support directly:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

It seems you've run the gamut as far as system settings. Strange that you see no difference at all at various detail levels, though... Might be worth asking! Be sure to include a dxdiag run using the 64-bit option. Let us know if anything develops!

Definetly now a hardware limitation. Even at lowest settings-640x480 resolutions didn't change anything.

After trying everything, only reversing to Windows 7 solved the problem...

After trying everything, only reversing to Windows 7 solved the problem...

:confused: That really shouldn't have mattered if it was the hardware. Likely a system config issue / wonky installation.

But, as long as it's working now, that's a victory! (I'm still using Windows 7, too. :cool:)

Top Bottom