FPS Drops when opening Map

+
I am getting quite decent FPS while playing the game.

However, when the UI tries to render any 3D - that includes map, character model or weapon model in crafting, the FPS drops to less than 10 and recovers after a while. Is there any solution to this issue?

This happens every time when switching between in game render and UI render.

Here's a video of it:
And here are my specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Powercolor Red Devil 5700XT
16GB RAM 3200Mhz
1TB SSD

Last edited:
Hey, did you manage to fix it? I'm having this problem too, everytime i open the map. My game runs fine all the time, but sometimes when this happens my FPS drops to 10 as well.

I don't know if it have a link :(
But on XBSX version (mine at least) and before 1.2, when I opened the map, i have some fps drop and in worse case, a crash (all crashes have happened when openning the map). But after this patch, it's fix.
That would be very surprising if CDPR know and fix this problem on XBSX version and did nothing on PC.

Maybe a fresh reinstall if you just update the game. But someone could have the solution (or better at least) ;)

Sadly no, the last time I tried with patch v1.2 this still happens. However, I found out that this lag happens only when I run at 4K native resolution with resolution scale set to lower than 4K (60%).

So it has to do with the map 3D being rendered at 4K. Turning down the resolution works around it.

The game's engine is ancient. It barely uses any of your system's resources (RAM, CPU cores, etc.) and has little to no optimization for things like burning ground effects or 200 corpses laying in one area. Nothing you can do but turn all the settings down to nothing in your config file.

prepaidgiftbalance

Last edited:
Sadly no, the last time I tried with patch v1.2 this still happens. However, I found out that this lag happens only when I run at 4K native resolution with resolution scale set to lower than 4K (60%).

So it has to do with the map 3D being rendered at 4K. Turning down the resolution works around it.
Thanks for the answer, but i play in Full HD, i don't think that's the issue here..

Patch 1.5 still has this issue!
After some tests i have found that the issue is with the dlss! Play the game on preset mode. Avoid any resolution scaling settings like dlss or any other. Think this should solve it! Street-kid out !!

I'm having this issue as well. DLSS is required for decent performance, so there's no way I'll do without it.

Extreme slowdown when entering menus - in particular the crafting menu. Not always, though.

Same here on pc. RTX 3070Ti and playing in ssd. Character mod menu in mirrors affected too. No slowdowns before.

LOL when I saw the OP come up in Hot Topics I assumed it was a new post about 1.5, cos it's EXACTLY what I'm getting now for the first time since launch.

Maybe video memory related? At launch I was having horrible stutters after some minutes of play, my 6GB on the 2060 was getting stuffed. A temporary fix then was to lower Texture Quality to Medium and that gave some overhead. Then they changed something and it stopped being an issue. In 1.5 though I'm again seeing video memory being much closer to maxed-out again, and having this map (and inventory) issue again.

LOL when I saw the OP come up in Hot Topics I assumed it was a new post about 1.5, cos it's EXACTLY what I'm getting now for the first time since launch.

Maybe video memory related? At launch I was having horrible stutters after some minutes of play, my 6GB on the 2060 was getting stuffed. A temporary fix then was to lower Texture Quality to Medium and that gave some overhead. Then they changed something and it stopped being an issue. In 1.5 though I'm again seeing video memory being much closer to maxed-out again, and having this map (and inventory) issue again.

Well i have 8gb GDDR6X VRAM and 32gb DDR4 3200Mhz of RAM. These slowdowns dont make any sense for me...

Well i have 8gb GDDR6X VRAM and 32gb DDR4 3200Mhz of RAM. These slowdowns dont make any sense for me...

I just played around with switching Texture Quality between High and Medium a few times, and flipping to-and-from the map (and doing nothing else). WIth High textures, the first couple of times calling up the map were fine, but then started getting ugly drops in FPS, lasting a good few seconds. With Medium textures, no problems after 10+ times (straight to 60FPS which I have as my locked max).

But - I didn't see any major changed in Vram usage. It was pushing my card's limit in both cases.

There appears to be a new animation that happens when the map opens, I wonder if the "delay" people encounter is just the wait for the animation to run. That doesn't explain crashes on map use though.

I have noticed a few more crashes with 1.5 than 1.31.

There appears to be a new animation that happens when the map opens, I wonder if the "delay" people encounter is just the wait for the animation to run. That doesn't explain crashes on map use though.

I have noticed a few more crashes with 1.5 than 1.31.
Nah, it's a very obvious drop in FPS (the animation runs slowly too). If you run something like Afterburner/RTSS with the FPS overlaid as a graph there's a big drop, maybe for 2-3 seconds (feels longer), but I don't think I saw any hit on GPU or CPU usage to explain it.

EDIT Maybe should add I'm running on SDD with the HDD Mode set to 'auto', haven't played with that setting. There was a CDPR post saying if texture-loading was slow, try setting HDD to 'On'. But shouldn't be an issue here?

EDIT OF EDIT It's not. Getting unpredictable transition to/from Map and some other menus whatever the HDD Mode setting is. Still seems OK when Textures at Medium though.

Last edited:
Same issue here, it drops down to 3-4 fps opening the map and after it is closed. As stated before, also viewing mirrior and inventory is affected because they show your character. This is also reported many times on reddit using 3070, 3080 etc.

Hey there.

1.5 version.

5950x, 3080, 64 gig, W11

Game is smooth for a while until - at some point - entering a menu, especially crafting or the map, causes a MAJOR slowdown and tanks FPS.

Looks like some kind of memory leak to me - and might be related to DLSS.

Used to be that entering the inventory using DLSS would result in low-resolution assets - most likely because the game didn't properly use DLSS and stayed at the lower resolution without upscaling anything.

I'm guessing the 1.5 change (with proper upscaling/resolution) could be the reason for these massive slowdowns.

Unfortunately, it means the game is more or less unplayable for any extended duration.

Hey there.

1.5 version.

5950x, 3080, 64 gig, W11

Game is smooth for a while until - at some point - entering a menu, especially crafting or the map, causes a MAJOR slowdown and tanks FPS.

Looks like some kind of memory leak to me - and might be related to DLSS.

Used to be that entering the inventory using DLSS would result in low-resolution assets - most likely because the game didn't properly use DLSS and stayed at the lower resolution without upscaling anything.

I'm guessing the 1.5 change (with proper upscaling/resolution) could be the reason for these massive slowdowns.

Unfortunately, it means the game is more or less unplayable for any extended duration.
Can you check if these FPS drops occur at specific locations in the city when you open the menu? Limiting the FPS to 60 or 50 doesn't improve anything? Lowering the air temperature your system takes in doesn't improve anything? If there are no mods installed, you can consider to forward a bug-report concerning the FPS drops at the link below.

Seems like a lot of people have those kind of problems. Me as well... usually starts with opening map at some point. Limiting FPS or changing DLSS settings doesnt do a thing.

I also hear that RT can generate some FPS drops. Maybe a good idea to try to play a little by disabling all the RT effects and see if it's the same ;)

Top Bottom