FPS Drops when opening Map

+
Greetings,

Nvidia 3070 and playing on 1440p maxed settings including psycho ( except Ray Tracing lighting on Ultra ). DLSS on balanced. Frame rates ranging from 80s high to mid 40s depending on heavy scenes. As stated from majority of the players above, I would like to stress that my game runs fine as it should until I keep on opening my inventory and map screen as long as I keep playing.

This can happen straight away depending on how many times you keep on opening your map and inventory screen during your session ranging from 1 to 2 hours. After awhile it wont use full GPU power ( 220-240+ Watts ) and even worst it will degrade to low 150-170+ Watts overtime. FPS will tank from there onwards and changing graphical settings wont change anything unless I turn off Ray Tracing all together or switching to lower resolution than my native. By that time the game will become totally unstable interms of handling graphical performance and so on. At this rate restarting the game is the best option.

This is a VERY FRUSTRATING PROCESS all together because as far as I understand, I can confirm it's because of the DLSS render that causes it whenever I start opening the map/inventory screen. Doesn't make sense to me if you need 10+ GB to avoid that from happening since I can avoid it if I prevent myself from opening the map/inventory screen altogether during my session!

YES, tried different version of DLSS yet it doesn't change anything. How long will it take to FIX this....???
When your power draw lowers does your card downclock too? Kinda odd since im not seeing lower power draw ever, its allways cloes too max even in the heavy scenes with big fps drops. It does downclock some due too climbing temps but power draw is the same (higher temp = higher power draw isent exactly anything new) Also does it make a smaller differance when you play at quality DLSS setting?

Im guessing it reverts when you restart the game too? Im guessing it deffinetly has too do with the way the inventory/map works.

When your power draw lowers does your card downclock too? Kinda odd since im not seeing lower power draw ever, its allways cloes too max even in the heavy scenes with big fps drops. It does downclock some due too climbing temps but power draw is the same (higher temp = higher power draw isent exactly anything new) Also does it make a smaller differance when you play at quality DLSS setting?

Im guessing it reverts when you restart the game too? Im guessing it deffinetly has too do with the way the inventory/map works.

Only power draw, everything's working as intended including GPU usage at 99%.~. A slight downclock up and down is normal since the GPU is throttling depending on your setup. Using DLSS at quality will make it even worse interms of how fast the performance will degrade whenever u start opening inventory/maps etc.

DLSS Balanced and Performance seemed to give more time for it to impact the performance and both worked the same for me so yeah. It's because of the DLSS's upscaling and downscaling effect whenever you open the map/inven. To make matters worse there's some glitch whenever I tried to access the Character Menu/Inventory button from time to time but instead it will direct straight to the map screen...It's like the game itself wants to test my patience and screw my session overtime.

Seriously this is pissing me off all together...haha. It's so annoying and utterly frustrating to play.

UPDATE*
I just wanted to confirm this problem still persist UNLESS I totally ignore opening up the CHARACTER APPEARANCE/MAP/INVENTORY/CRAFTING in particular.
With that said BEHOLD....I can play without any problems for hours on end smoothly if I didn't touch it or avoid it all together.

PLEASE FIX this...waited for 1.5 years after the game's incomplete/buggy mess state release to finally be able to play it.

Last edited:
Can you try to disable Re-Size Bar Support in your BIOS?
For me it fixed the issue with FPS drop when opening the map.

Last edited:
1.6 seem to fixed the FPS drop when opening the Inventory/Map for me.
As for the Crafting/Character appearance, it will still occur overtime (depending on how many times u start using it.)

What concern me the most is the performance degradation overtime that relates to these particular issues as I stated from my previous post and others as well.
Not to mention the 1.6 patch did somehow lower the overall FPS by 10+ as others had experienced. (Same goes from 1.5 as well.)
I couldn't test it thoroughly for the time being and frankly speaking I'm very frustrated that these issues are overlooked on PC.

My specs :
Windows 11 Pro
i5 12600k (5.2 Ghz overclocked)
Nvidia 3070
DDR4 SDRAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance Lpx (XMP Enabled)
Samsung 970 PRO M.2 NVME SSD (Installed game)
Corsair RM850 PSU

Last edited:
As for the Crafting/Character appearance, it will still occur overtime (depending on how many times u start using it.)

What concern me the most is the performance degradation overtime that relates to these particular issues as I stated from my previous post and others as well.
Not to mention the 1.6 patch did somehow lower the overall FPS by 10+ as others had experienced. (Same goes from 1.5 as well.)
I couldn't test it thoroughly for the time being and frankly speaking I'm very frustrated that these issues are overlooked on PC.

My specs :
Windows 11 Pro
Nvidia 3070
Corsair RM850 PSU
Hello,
agree. Seems that the problem with fps drops is not so big than before but it is still there.
FPS lowering frustrates me also...

My specs :
Windows 11 Pro
Nvidia 3070
Corsair RM850 PSU
This issue with FPS drops caused by 100% GPU memory usage (you can check it using monitoring software like MSI Afterburner). It's look like GPU memory leak in game engine. With Re-Size BAR disabled I have much more stable FPS (but memory leak still may causes GPU memory overload in some game places).

I have alderlake i9 also and 3060 ti and i can confirm i lost 10-15 fps with this patch, maybe its a cpu issue or something, i play with rt off but i had before 70 buttersmooth fps and now im like 55 with drops to 48-50
Post automatically merged:

My specs :
Windows 11 Pro
Nvidia 3070
Corsair RM850 PSU
I have alderlake i9 also and 3060 ti and i can confirm i lost 10-15 fps with this patch, maybe its a cpu issue or something, i play with rt off but i had before 70 buttersmooth fps and now im like 55 with drops to 48-50. no one seems to care so i guess thats it for me with this game...playing cp with 70 fps and 50s is such a bigg gameplay experience diffrence its insane.

I have alderlake i9 also and 3060 ti and i can confirm i lost 10-15 fps with this patch, maybe its a cpu issue or something, i play with rt off but i had before 70 buttersmooth fps and now im like 55 with drops to 48-50
Hello,
agree. Seems that the problem with fps drops is not so big than before but it is still there.
FPS lowering frustrates me also...

Think they redid the presets with more focus on Gfx fidelity in this patch. Check too see if some setting has been increased that steals those 10-15 fps. Im glad they seem to be doing something about the map/inventory problems..

Edit: Yea from patch notes:
PC-SPECIFIC

• Adjusted graphics setting presets to provide a higher quality setup.

Last edited:
In my case entering the menus and then exiting them caused a brief FPS drop (down to about 10 fps). It sometimes occured when I also opened the map.

I managed to fix this by adjusting the graphics settings - I set the Cascaded Shadows Resolution, Distant Shadow Resolution and Subsurface Scattering Quality to "Low". After that the problem was gone.

P.S. Everything else is set to high, with DLSS set to "Performance".

I had a lot of problems to with all this after patch 1.6. This on a NVidia system.
Disabling V-Sync solved it complete for me.

I had a lot of problems to with all this after patch 1.6. This on a NVidia system.
Disabling V-Sync solved it complete for me.
Hello,
do you mean actual V-sync or G-Sync complatible also? I dont use V-sync but only G-Sync for complatible monitor that i have.

Hello,
do you mean actual V-sync or G-Sync complatible also? I dont use V-sync but only G-Sync for complatible monitor that i have.
The actual in-game v-sync. I too have a G-Sync compatible monitor but that is working fine.

Even in 1.6 patch still got fps drops in map menu and inventory.

same, I had issues with map causing freezes before but now its menu and hacking windows too...
Post automatically merged:

In my case entering the menus and then exiting them caused a brief FPS drop (down to about 10 fps). It sometimes occured when I also opened the map.

I managed to fix this by adjusting the graphics settings - I set the Cascaded Shadows Resolution, Distant Shadow Resolution and Subsurface Scattering Quality to "Low". After that the problem was gone.

P.S. Everything else is set to high, with DLSS set to "Performance".
I am going to try this. thx for possible solution

Last edited:
I kinda fixed it for my pc, drivers were the culprit. I have rtx 2060.
I was using latest GameReady driver in GeForce Experience, but after i switched to latest StudioDriver all problems with brief fps drop after using any menu or map were gone. That said, there are still places in NightCity that cause memory leaks, marketplace between Misty's Emporium and Tom's Dinner is one of them, so, avoid them if you can.

I think I found a solution how to fix this issue. "At least on my system." I was running the game on Ultra/RTX Psycho with DLSS on Auto and had this issue. I downloaded the latest DLSS version .dll file from August (NVIDIA DLSS DLL 2.4.12) and replace it with the original in the game folder (GOG Games\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64 > nvngx_dlss.dll) I kept the setting same as before and DLSS on auto and after 2hours of testing/playing this "Menu FPS drop bug" did not happen again.

Last edited:
Following the solution of Nemetes69 (is this high school? What's with that name?) I downloaded the latest DLSS DLL from Nvidia. For what it's worth I'm using an MSI RTX 3060 Ti.

I was previously running 3.1.1.0, and upgraded to 3.5.0.0. Initial results are good, but I'll be playing for a few hours at least, and will leave the game running to see if it degrades.

For the download link, I would highly recommend using the link I provided below, as it's the official NVidia site. There seems to be a lot of other places with the package available, but downloading a DLL from an unknown site is a great way to compromise your computer.

Steps to acquire the DLL:
  1. Go to: https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/dlss/get-started#sdk-requirements (the section will be titled Download DLSS Super Resolution)
  2. Scroll down to the checkbox just after Release Notes, and check it
  3. Click the Download SDK button (50mb download)
  4. Unzip the file and navigate to: nvngx_dlss_sdk\lib\Windows_X86_64\rel\ and copy the file located there (nvngx_dlss.dll)
  5. Navigate to your Cyberpunk 2077 installation folder, and into: bin\x64
  6. Rename your existing nvngx_dlss.dll file, in case this doesn't work, or screws something up. I added "BACKUP." to the beginning of the filename
  7. Verify Cyberpunk 2077 is NOT RUNNING right now
  8. Paste in the new file, and launch the game
I'll post an update on this comment once I've spent some time playing the game.

UPDATE: unfortunately the problem still exists. I tried disabling both DLSS and DLAA, and left the game running for an hour and a half on the main menu screen. Came back to it and now the FPS has dropped from 58-60 down to 20, and it refuses to recover.

CDPR, you guys need to get your shit together and fix this. The fact that this game has been out for almost THREE YEARS and still has this issue is a god damned joke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom