FPS issues after Windows 10 update

+
Hello everyone! I used to play TW3 with 60+ fps, and after a windows 10 update yesterday, my fps won't go higher than 45. I've tried to uninstall every graphic mod but it didn't worked. My PC specs:
i5-9600k
16gb 3000mhz ram
RTX 2070
Can anyone help? Thanks!!

Welcome, @henry521 !

Post moved to a new thread.

On the topic itself, are you using a desktop or laptop?

1.) Very importantly, are you using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

2.) It's not uncommon for Windows updates to change power configuration settings back to their defaults after an update. Check both through Windows Power Config and your GPU Control Panel. Set everything to "Maximum Performance" (or something similar).

3.) 45 FPS sounds high enough that I don't think this is the case, but also make sure the game is using your RTX 2070, and not the onboard video. You should be able to force the RTX only through the GPU CP settings.

4.) If none of the above have any effect, try reinstalling DirectX and the Microsoft Redistributables that come with the installation package. (You should see a folder called "Redist" in the installation directory.)

Let us know how that goes!

Last edited:
Thanks Sigil!

Im using a Desktop

I was checking the third step and realized that the resolution was far higher (3840 x 2160) than my monitor can hold (1920x1080). Changed that and everything went back to normal! Thanks!!

Thanks Sigil!

Im using a Desktop

I was checking the third step and realized that the resolution was far higher (3840 x 2160) than my monitor can hold (1920x1080). Changed that and everything went back to normal! Thanks!!

You can certainly use the higher resolution for some games. (And GPUs offer techniques, like Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution, to allow monitors to display higher resolutions than their native. Great stuff for some older games!) But no other setting on your PC will tank performance faster than raising the resolution.

Conversely, you'll gain more performance by lowering your resolution than you will any other setting. Very often in the past, I've been able to run demanding games at max settings smoothly by just lowering the resolution a couple of steps.

2.) It's not uncommon for Windows updates to change power configuration settings back to their defaults after an update. Check both through Windows Power Config and your GPU Control Panel. Set everything to "Maximum Performance" (or something similar).

Sigil I want to kiss you, I've been noticing some FPS drops in my game too after a couple of updates, I saw your reply and I immediately went to check my power plan, apparently microsoft decided to revert it back to Power Saving configuration and that was throttling my GPU, I got weirded out entering the Chameleon and seeing my framerate getting butchered all of a sudden. Oh by the way, the latest update somehow parked my CPU cores too so I had to unpark them again! *SMH* Honestly I don't know why I overlooked that.

Sigil I want to kiss you, I've been noticing some FPS drops in my game too after a couple of updates, I saw your reply and I immediately went to check my power plan, apparently microsoft decided to revert it back to Power Saving configuration and that was throttling my GPU, I got weirded out entering the Chameleon and seeing my framerate getting butchered all of a sudden. Oh by the way, the latest update somehow parked my CPU cores too so I had to unpark them again! *SMH* Honestly I don't know why I overlooked that.

You're welcome! Glad it was a simple fix!

You can certainly use the higher resolution for some games. (And GPUs offer techniques, like Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution, to allow monitors to display higher resolutions than their native. Great stuff for some older games!) But no other setting on your PC will tank performance faster than raising the resolution.

Conversely, you'll gain more performance by lowering your resolution than you will any other setting. Very often in the past, I've been able to run demanding games at max settings smoothly by just lowering the resolution a couple of steps.

<3

Top Bottom