FPS limit related to sprinting?

+
Hello. I have a really strange issue with stamina while sprinting in cyberpunk. I got a new graphics card and wanted to enjoy more fps, so I removed the fps limit in the nvidia settings. And while playing I got the impression that I could not sprint for as long as before. As I was absolutely sure, I did not change anything on my character I did some testing: I sprinted along a straight road to see how far my stamina would get me and the results are clear: If I limit my fps in the nvidia settings to 90, I can sprint far longer than without fps limit. I changed it back and forth and it always confirmed my suspicion. In a second test i set the fps limit to 60 and I was able to sprint even longer. So my testresult is: the lower my fps, the farther I can sprint until my stamina is drained. I'm pretty sure this is not as intended.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Unless your monitor's refresh rate is below the application's frame rate while having V-sync enabled, there shouldn't be a limit to the frame rate, neither in the game settings nor in the control panel settings.

What settings did you change in the GPU control panel ?

In the nvidia control panel are two settings to limit fps in an application.
- open the nvidia control panel
- choose "Manage 3D Settings"
- Either change the settings globally or individually for each application
- Setting 1: "Max Frame Rate"
- Setting 2: "Background Application Max Frame Rate"
I usually set both to the same value.

Again to make it clear: The lower I set this FPS-Limit, the longer I can sprint until my stamina is depleted.

I am not using VSync, I have a 360 Hz G-Sync Monitor. Card is a RTX-4080. NVidia Driver Version is 526.98. I limit my fps to have a (more or less) constant number of frames in games, usually 90 or 120. This works in every game I play without issues except this one now.

Edit: I will make an assumption now (I will test it this evening, when I'm home from work):
The nvidia setting is not the reason for this problem, the framerate itself is.
I will test the sprinting distance with different graphic settings (thus different fps) and post the results here.

Last edited:
Just a quote, "plenty" of games use "frame-timing functions".
So "maybe" it's a little bit the same here, if you exceed a certain limit, some functions may be affected (like how quick stamina is consumed).
An example I have personal (and extensive) experience with is Morrowind's Gamebryo, which is exactly the same base engine that was used for Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76. Frame timing for all game functions operated off of 60 FPS or less. If I increase the FPS beyond that point, things like player movement speed, idle animations, weapon attack speed, etc. will be accelerated linearly with every frame over 60. The functions will be based on the number of frames that are actually drawn to the screen.

Physics calculations were taken based on keyed frames that were rendered and drawn to the screen, again ticking complete cycles every 60 frames maximum. If the FPS exceeded 60, or if multiple, partial key frames were drawn (because of unlimited FPS / vsync off), the additional frames data would be treated as a multiplier to the physics calculations, and would result in a "physics explosion". (I bump into a cart, and it flips over sending a cabbage into orbit.)

But most shockingly to people struggling with "unexplainable" glitches and errors was the fact that Papyrus scripts (which is Bethesda's scripting engine that manages everything concerning quests, weather, day/night cycles, random NPC population and placement, animation packages, Radient AI behaviors, etc. -- everything that makes the game "do stuff")...also operates on a timer that uses 60 FPS frame timing to function. Frames passing is what counts as "ticks" on its internal clock. If I exceed 60, it means that the clock is now running in fast-forward. All sorts of broken stuff can start appearing.

Other games that use similar frame-timing functions that I know of: Dark Souls 1-2, Dragon's Dogma, Drago Age: Origins through Inquisition, Mass Effect 1-3, Halo 1-3, Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance, Total War 1 - Medival 2...each of them suffers from some pretty serious issues if FPS exceeds 60 or 72 in various cases. It's not always a guaranteed issue, nor does it mean that player are aware that issues are occurring. But they're there.

In the nvidia control panel are two settings to limit fps in an application.
- open the nvidia control panel
- choose "Manage 3D Settings"
- Either change the settings globally or individually for each application
- Setting 1: "Max Frame Rate"
- Setting 2: "Background Application Max Frame Rate"
I usually set both to the same value.

Again to make it clear: The lower I set this FPS-Limit, the longer I can sprint until my stamina is depleted.

I am not using VSync, I have a 360 Hz G-Sync Monitor. Card is a RTX-4080. NVidia Driver Version is 526.98. I limit my fps to have a (more or less) constant number of frames in games, usually 90 or 120. This works in every game I play without issues except this one now.

Edit: I will make an assumption now (I will test it this evening, when I'm home from work):
I will test the sprinting distance with different graphic settings (thus different fps) and post the results here.
Provided there're no mods involved, consider to notify Support about this issue. The 4080 is brand new, so pretty sure Support will be very interested in this feedback.

As most performance issues seem related to specific locations on the map, you should consider doing the same tests in different locations, just to see if the results are the same. This, Support is also interested in. Can use the link below.
Select the "Contact us" tab, and explain the repro.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Make sure to compare it with the in-game frame rate limiter. (video settings)
Looking forward to your results!

SettingsFPS LimitFPS
Time to drain Stamina (in Seconds)
LOW (everything MIN)-220
9​
HIGH (everything MAX)-11517.5
HIGH90 (NVIDIA Control Panel)9022
HIGH60 (NVIDIA Control Panel)6033
HIGH30 (NVIDIA Control Panel)3067
LOW120 (ingame V-Sync)12016.5
LOW90 (ingame V-Sync)9022.3

The location has no effect on the results if it doesn't affect the framerate.
The tests show that the results are almost equal, no matter how the fps are limited. Also the unlimited 115 fps have almost the same result as the limited 120 fps.
It seems this mechanic is realy based on frame-time. I hope this is not working as intended because twice the sprint time from 120 to 60 fps is too much in my opinion.
Post automatically merged:

I think you are right. I remember this being a real big issue in Fallout 4.
Just a quote, "plenty" of games use "frame-timing functions".
So "maybe" it's a little bit the same here, if you exceed a certain limit, some functions may be affected (like how quick stamina is consumed).

My Installation 100 % Mod-free. Guess I need to contact support as you said.
Provided there're no mods involved, consider to notify Support about this issue. The 4080 is brand new, so pretty sure Support will be very interested in this feedback.

As most performance issues seem related to specific locations on the map, you should consider doing the same tests in different locations, just to see if the results are the same. This, Support is also interested in. Can use the link below.
Select the "Contact us" tab, and explain the repro.

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
SettingsFPS LimitFPS
Time to drain Stamina (in Seconds)
LOW (everything MIN)-220
9​
HIGH (everything MAX)-11517.5
HIGH90 (NVIDIA Control Panel)9022
HIGH60 (NVIDIA Control Panel)6033
HIGH30 (NVIDIA Control Panel)3067
LOW120 (ingame V-Sync)12016.5
LOW90 (ingame V-Sync)9022.3

The location has no effect on the results if it doesn't affect the framerate.
The tests show that the results are almost equal, no matter how the fps are limited. Also the unlimited 115 fps have almost the same result as the limited 120 fps.
It seems this mechanic is realy based on frame-time. I hope this is not working as intended because twice the sprint time from 120 to 60 fps is too much in my opinion.

I think you are right. I remember this being a real big issue in Fallout 4.

My Installation 100 % Mod-free. Guess I need to contact support as you said.

Did you also try the in-game cap without V-sync though?

Geez is that why I never had any problem with my stamina? I was wondering if the DEV was just being way too forgiving. But stamina was NEVER a problem for me in the game even when I was running jumping swinging my Katana like a mad man.

I cap my FR at 90 using Nvidia inspector. I do that now with all my games starting with Fallout 4 for the obvious reasons of the physics issues.
But I find that the 90 cap seems to help with a lot of issues in all games I play.

I'm pretty sure I did not have that option in the Video-Tab. Maybe because I'm using G-Sync. I will check that tonight.

Geez is that why I never had any problem with my stamina? I was wondering if the DEV was just being way too forgiving. But stamina was NEVER a problem for me in the game even when I was running jumping swinging my Katana like a mad man.

I cap my FR at 90 using Nvidia inspector. I do that now with all my games starting with Fallout 4 for the obvious reasons of the physics issues.
But I find that the 90 cap seems to help with a lot of issues in all games I play.
I don't think that attacks that cost stamina are affected by frame-time. These should have a fixed cost per attack and not over time like sprinting. I also never had a problem when I played a character with 20 Body. The Tests were made with Character Level 30 and Body 3. So no Stamina Bonus from anything.

Turns out I'm a bit blind and I didn't see it. I tested it:

Ingame FPS capSeconds to drain Stamina with Sprinting

stamina_vs_fps.jpg

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
Does this only count for sprinting? I wonder if a low frame rate would make boxing matches easier.
:think:

Top Bottom