Frame drop since 1.6

+
Hey everyone!

I am loving the new gigs and changes from 1.6 patch. But unfortunately, since the new update, my game can't keep the same fps from older version. I used to let the frame locked at 72fps and was able to get a smooth performance with some random minimal drops. But now, since 1.6, my fps goes from 58 to 65, rarely getting to 72.

I don't have any mod installed and didn't change any driver or other update on my pc. I've tried to reinstall the game, but it didn't resolve my problem.

My specs:
Ryzen 5 5600x
RX 5700 XT
16 GB RAM
Installed on a SSD

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-07 144547.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-07 144547.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 248
I've read on reddit that changing your graphics settings to default then restart the game fixes it. Not sure if it works for everyone though. Worth a try.
Yeah, I've read that too! Tried but didn't work =/. I also tried to delete the game folder from AppData and Saved Games, but nothing.

So i used to get a very nice smooth fps of 65-75 fps in 1.5 now 1.6 launched boom 47-52 fps for no reason whatsoever plus some weird stutters and image fast foward for a split second, its so annoying now to even drive. i used the same setting as before rt off all other setting close to max 1440p dlss balance btw lowering other graphical setting didnt even had much impact on performance. so now to get similar performance ih ave to turn dlss on ultra performance which destroys the graphical settings. care to mention inside areas tend to run v good compared with outside, outside performance now is extremely bad, i dont know what they keep tinkering with performance setting over and over every patch and making it worse for some people.

My pc is i9 12th gen with 3060ti 32gb ddr5

Something weird is happening in the game currently, anyone else having similar issues?

I haven't looked at the frames themselves but there is a big issue with the game slowing down and stuttering every time I get out of a menu or interface (ripperdoc, map, drop point, inventory, etc), whatever that isn't "in the world". The game seizes up for a few seconds. Another performance issue that wasn't there before, when saving or loading a save, the saves list would open immediately even with hundreds of saves. Now the saves list also freezes up for several seconds with blank spaces instead of the saves, and it does that every time even if there are only three saves.

I had to lower my Graphix settings after the update. Before I got the lower frame rate sometime when going to the map. Now that they fixed it I get the lower frame rate returning to the game.

I've read on reddit that changing your graphics settings to default then restart the game fixes it. Not sure if it works for everyone though. Worth a try.
I just tried this one and it worked for me (so far).

Yesterday I had FPS drops down to 10 after fastraveling to more distant areas, but it didn't bother me too much back then since it was only short time visit and got "fixed" when traveling back. Today my FPS dropped down to 5 in the area where I was actually playing and it didn't want to fix itself. Restarting the game helped for it to go up to 25 FPS but then it soon dropped back to 5 again.

I put the settings back to default, set the max FPS to 60 and put crowd density to medium (don't ask me why, I just felt like trying it). After that I got some weird sound glitches, like my clothes were being really loud. Restarting the game fixed it. Then I put my settings back to RTX ultra, FPS limit off again, and finally also crowd density back to high. As they used to be before the patch. So far things are working nicely again.

EDIT: I also had the issue where opening the map dropped FPS even after the patch, but that also got fixed with this settings to default and back experiment.
EDITEDIT: Scrap that last one. Problem came back after a while. However, now it doesn't last that long and otherwise game FPS is now much better.

FINAL EDIT: So after several hours of playing, the FPS dropped down to one. Yes, one :D Time to contact support. Problem got "fixed" again after switching to other area, but it's clearly just waiting for next opportunity to drop again.

Last edited:

Yesterday I had FPS drops down to 10 after fastraveling to more distant areas, but it didn't bother me too much back then since it was only short time visit and got "fixed" when traveling back. Today my FPS dropped down to 5 in the area where I was actually playing and it didn't want to fix itself. Restarting the game helped for it to go up to 25 FPS but then it soon dropped back to 5 again.

I put the settings back to default, set the max FPS to 60 and put crowd density to medium (don't ask me why, I just felt like trying it). After that I got some weird sound glitches, like my clothes were being really loud. Restarting the game fixed it. Then I put my settings back to RTX ultra, FPS limit off again, and finally also crowd density back to high. As they used to be before the patch. So far things are working nicely again.

EDIT: I also had the issue where opening the map dropped FPS even after the patch, but that also got fixed with this settings to default and back experiment.
EDITEDIT: Scrap that last one. Problem came back after a while. However, now it doesn't last that long and otherwise game FPS is now much better.

FINAL EDIT: So after several hours of playing, the FPS dropped down to one. Yes, one :D Time to contact support. Problem got "fixed" again after switching to other area, but it's clearly just waiting for next opportunity to drop again.
I've reached out for support, and this is what they said to me:

Please perform a clean installation of the game. Carefully follow all the steps below.

1. Backup your save files. (saves are located here: %userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\)
2. Disable Steam Cloud for Cyberpunk 2077
3. Uninstall Cyberpunk 2077
4. Go to your Steam directory and see if there is a Cyberpunk 2077 folder, if so, remove it.
5. Remove:
Cyberpunk 2077 folder from here: %userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\
REDEngine folder from here %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
CD Projekt Red folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local
6. Restart your PC
7. Install Cyberpunk 2077 again, on SSD for the best performance,
If you will be installing the game on the same partition as you have the Operating System installed to ensure that the game won't be blocked by Windows permissions settings make sure to install it on the drive root and not nested in some folders. Example path after installation: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077
8. Run the game and see if it works.
9. If it's fixed, copy your save files to the newly created Cyberpunk 2077 folder in the location from step #1.
10. Re-enable Steam Cloud if you want.
Did everything they told me to do, but it didn't work.
Something that I realized is that setting the graphics preset to LOW doesn't show effect on fps. On low I'm targeting 68, sometimes 60 fps.

Did everything they told me to do, but it didn't work.
I did (hopefully since my game is on GOG) clean install and so far it's working again. Has been working few hours now (even the map works fine). Like it did a after that previous settings reset.

If frames are still not dropping down to 5 or 1 later today or tomorrow, I can probably say huraa!?

These frame drops were a sometimes more, sometimes less problem with ray tracing from the beginning. With 1.5 it became a bit more, because the requirements increased slightly.

I'm curious if a complete reinstallation will help.

Could you please check your VRAM memory usage in those places where you get FPS drops?

Could you please check your VRAM memory usage in those places where you get FPS drops?
I'll try to remember that next time it happens. So far whatever has been the attempted fix, the game works totally fine like 4 to 5 hours and then it starts being wonky again.

Same custom settings as 1.5 with a 3080ti frame capped at 60 when i could've done so at 70 but didn't to keep temps lower.

Now in 1.6 AFTER a reinstall on GoG, frequently dipping in the 40's which is honestly bordering on being unacceptable at this point on my system.

Even lowering DLSS from quality to balanced isn't a guaranteed stable 60 fps.

Going from close to stable 70 fps (with dips of course depending on crowds while driving) down to 40's in one patch which supposedly changed nothing but the quick presets is annoying to say the least.

Same here, I got mostly 5% drop in frames on a 3080. The patchnotes claim that the graphics presets were changed in 1.6 but I think that's not true. Or at least it does not mean that there is any improvement with the same settings that would justify the drop in performance.

Did anyone notice any LOD or graphics improvements that would justify the fps drop?

Does anyone know what "presets change on PC" in patch notes mean?

Anyone managed to improve their FPS after 1.6?

I am using a preset almost identical to RT ultra with dlss balanced. 9900k, 3080, 32g ram 3440res

Seeing very similar thing happening for me as one or two others describe, and it's markedly different to 1.5, with the lows being very noticeable. Like the OP, I'm using a 5600x (boosts comfortably to ~4.7ghz), with a 3080ti and 980 Nvme @1440p on Win11. For me, after a couple of days of testing, it's almost as if there's a CPU bottleneck, especially noticeable with DLSS turned on. Have done the obvious tests/re-installs for problems with hardware, installation, drivers, and shaders to no change. Only thing left for me to try is a full Win 11 reinstall which I'm rather loathe to do just quite now.

Yep, while the AVG FPS remains about the same with 1.6 at the same 1.5 settings, both the minimum FPS and the max. FPS turn out significantly lower. This can be reproduced at will with the internal benchmark.

The problem areas, such as Afterlife, also have to struggle with the same frame drops and unsteady frame rates under 1.6.

In contrast, everything runs very smoothly without RT.

Did anyone notice any LOD or graphics improvements that would justify the fps drop?

Does anyone know what "presets change on PC" in patch notes mean?

Anyone managed to improve their FPS after 1.6?

1) No noticeable improvement
2) My understanding would be that they changed what the quick presets of low/normal/high/ultra (or however they're labeled) to choose higher and more demanding options.
As otherwise if they changed the VALUES of each options f.eg "medium shadows now shows more/crisper shadow in 1.6" they would had made it clear that the graphical options VALUES have increased.
3) Sure if my goal is just 60 FPS there's plenty of options to lower, but the fact is there's scenes f.eg I fought the law diner scene is now to a point it's hard to get 60FPS with RTX lighting on high/dlss quality due to some undocumented or accidental changes were previously it could on RTX lighting psycho at higher frames.

The most annoying part is their lack of acknowledgment or explanation at to which graphical changes were done if any tbh.

There is also some random fps drops from 50-60 to like 5 fps for 2-3 seconds and then back to normal

I have the same: after patch 1.6 an fps drop of around 10fps. The benchmark was on average 65fps after patch 1.52 but now with patch 1.60 it's 53 on average. This is overall, so in parts in the game where I had 50fps, it's now 40fps. Parts where I had 70fps, it's now 60fps.
This with GOG. I already did the normal things: complete uninstall and removal of game directory and clean CP2077 install, verifying, and so on. Windows and NVidia are all up te date.
I also tried the Set To Default tip, but no change. And indeed on Reddit there are more mentions of this all.
Hardware: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio, i9-9900kf and 32Gb 4400MHz DDR4.
So in general it's all playable but not in the 40fps range parts, I start to see a slight stutter which I did not had before.

Edit: I too did make a ticket of his at CDPR Support.
Post automatically merged:

Just got a reaction back from CDPR Support. They are aware of the issue and are looking into it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom