Frame drop since 1.6

+
So I updated from Win 10 to Win 11 and didn't change anything else and I don't get the power drop related fps crashes anymore.

So I updated from Win 10 to Win 11 and didn't change anything else and I don't get the power drop related fps crashes anymore.
Wow thats weird. I would have thought it would be the other way around win10 vs 11.. Something too do with drivers or windows system perhaps?

Wow thats weird. I would have thought it would be the other way around win10 vs 11.. Something too do with drivers or windows system perhaps?
Grrr.

Still nowhere near enough data to be conclusive, but that's not weird to me at all. Microsoft is phasing out DriectX altogether, presently under the guise of "integrating" the API to be part of standard Windows operation. Hence, no standalone DX12 packages for download on either Windows 10 or 11...no official support for DirectX at all anymore on Windows 8 or 8.1...and no support in any way, shape, or form for Windows 7. All of that can very well mean that they're changing things under the hood leading to issues such as this. Not so much the drivers, but the way Windows itself is communicating with the drivers.

I can confirm I have no FPS drops whatsoever, in any area, at any time. Also using Windows 11, up to date.

Ryzen 5600X @3.7 GHz (default clock speed)
16 GB DDR4 RAM @3600 MHz (XMP enabled)
RTX 3060, 12 GB VRAM (Nvidia reference driver 516.59)
500 GB Western Digital Blue M.2 SSD (Operating System)
1 TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD (Game files)
1 TB Western Digital HDD (Storage [empty])
Windows 11 (10.0.22621 Build 22621)

Does anyone here see the issue on Windows 11? Please, include full specs, matching what I have above.

Microsoft is phasing out DriectX altogether, presently under the guise of "integrating" the API to be part of standard Windows operation. Hence, no standalone DX12 packages for download on either Windows 10 or 11.
Yea that sounds like a really bad ide untill they are done atleast -.-

Yea that sounds like a really bad ide untill they are done atleast -.-
Meh. It's what they've always done. DirectX has not stopped continuously evolving since it was first released in 1995. Microsoft restricting backwards compatibility is definitely a greedy, self-important move, however.

I'm facing the same here, FPS decreased after 1.6 Patch, and I did all recomendation posted on this forum and reddit. Using WIN10, 2080TI, I used to have more than 65+ before with Ray Tracing

This is 100% game related issue and it's still going on. Hope they fix this before 2023 DLC release with a patch

What power plan are people using?
Power plans have been part of the issue in the past, but the problem seems to be rather complicated. If I had to guess, it's probably a mix of limited engine threads, physical memory issues on player's end, and DLSS itself.

I've been using the High Performance Power plan for my CPU, and I've also set GPU performance to 'prefer maximum performance' via Nvidia's Control Panel. Nonetheless, sometimes I saw the GPU usage drop by approx. 40% in certain areas, which I was (always) able to solve by quick-loading a recent save. However, this method didn't seem to work for a lot of other players.

On a further note, the problems definitely didn't start with version 1.6. Similar issues have been reported on earlier versions of the game. Low GPU usage has been an issue since day one, and DLSS-related frame drops basically began when people started experimenting with different versions of nvngx_dlss.dll, which I think was even before 1.3.

Edit: This thread was created by @Surma. roughly two months before 1.31, and one month after 1.30.

Last edited:
Just checking back into this thread. It seems like 2 different issues being talked about: the first being an overall performance loss and the second being a loss over time. I don't know about the second, sounds like a memory leak or something. I still experience the first overall fps downgrade from 1.5. I made this video a month ago when I tried 1.61 and haven't got around to posting it in this thread but here it is
. Hope this is fixed soon since the game really isn't playable imo with big drops to 40 fps especially with the salt in the wound feeling of knowing how well it ran before.

For those people getting power drops their is a power setting called Ultimate. To get it you have to either make a direct edit to your registry or get a tool to do it for you. Google of Windows ultimate power plan for (insert your version of windows here).

But I don't have power problems my(insert favourite bench tester here) tells me my power is fine.
Yeah but how would you know? Temperature is by nature an aggregate. same with your reported frame rate but power can momentarily drop at speeds which it is impossible to percieve. One small drop in power one great leap in lost processor/bus/GPU cycles.

It wont matter for most people but if your running an overclocked or high end PC with all the trimmings and the fancy disco lights it might be worth considering.

Last edited:
Power plans have been part of the issue in the past, but the problem seems to be rather complicated. If I had to guess, it's probably a mix of limited engine threads, physical memory issues on player's end, and DLSS itself.

I've been using the High Performance Power plan for my CPU, and I've also set GPU performance to 'prefer maximum performance' via Nvidia's Control Panel. Nonetheless, sometimes I saw the GPU usage drop by approx. 40% in certain areas, which I was (always) able to solve by quick-loading a recent save. However, this method didn't seem to work for a lot of other players.

On a further note, the problems definitely didn't start with version 1.6. Similar issues have been reported on earlier versions of the game. Low GPU usage has been an issue since day one, and DLSS-related frame drops basically began when people started experimenting with different versions of nvngx_dlss.dll, which I think was even before 1.3.

Edit: This thread was created by @Surma. roughly two months before 1.31, and one month after 1.30.

what i notice since 1.6 and last drivers ndvia , having a long time to check what's make those issues in my case ( playing on a latptop )
- hight temp cpu /gpu
- memory leak
- low usage gpu
find out
1) performance lost over time main cause , reflection RT
2) hight temp cpu/gpu , low usage gpu , since the 3 ndvia driver , issues with power plan management setting , on this game i get better performance by pick factory power plan both for my cpu and gpu ..Oo..
with le last ndvia driver , we get finally lower temp , now mostly 65/70¨°c , before the 527.56 drivers , crazy temp ( over 85/90¨¨c )
dlss seems working better , screen less blurry and more sharp in my case .

the other fun fact , its seems , with this new drivers i use less VRAM , above 200/400Mo less on complex scene , but more like as if the vram don't get overloaded any more ( having the 10% free space safety VRAM even my gpu running at 99% )
steel monotoring , but i feel game finally running better

I just looked at power usage between benchmark runs of 1.5 vs 1.61 and it turns out 1.5 consistently uses 10-15 more watts than 1.61 uses. I didn't notice it before since I was mostly looking at gpu util which were both around the same (actually 1.5 was reporting 1/2% lower util). I confirmed it in 1.61 in-game too I - I noticed I could turn down settings and see 99% util and my cards highest clock but not getting much more frames and the power usage was at 130-160 W - WAY UNDER the average 200+ W my Vega 64 usually reports under full load. I haven't been following the discussion too closely so you guys probably already noticed this but it is strange. And this is on the same drivers, same machine, same settings, and same windows power plan (afaik amd doesn't have an equivalent setting to nvidia's power options).

Edit: Another interesting thing. It seems in-game on 1.61 I can turn FSR to 'Ultra Performance' (scales from 480p to 1440p) and only get ~5-10 more fps than at Quality (scaling from 960p) and both will report 99% util @ ~1630 MHz but Ultra Performance reports ~115 W vs Quality's ~150 W. Native is ~5 lower fps than Quality in this location and reports ~165 W but again 99% util ~1630 MHz.

Last edited:
I just looked at power usage between benchmark runs of 1.5 vs 1.61 and it turns out 1.5 consistently uses 10-15 more watts than 1.61 uses. I didn't notice it before since I was mostly looking at gpu util which were both around the same (actually 1.5 was reporting 1/2% lower util). I confirmed it in 1.61 in-game too I - I noticed I could turn down settings and see 99% util and my cards highest clock but not getting much more frames and the power usage was at 130-160 W - WAY UNDER the average 200+ W my Vega 64 usually reports under full load. I haven't been following the discussion too closely so you guys probably already noticed this but it is strange. And this is on the same drivers, same machine, same settings, and same windows power plan (afaik amd doesn't have an equivalent setting to nvidia's power options).

Edit: Another interesting thing. It seems in-game on 1.61 I can turn FSR to 'Ultra Performance' (scales from 480p to 1440p) and only get ~5-10 more fps than at Quality (scaling from 960p) and both will report 99% util @ ~1630 MHz but Ultra Performance reports ~115 W vs Quality's ~150 W. Native is ~5 lower fps than Quality in this location and reports ~165 W but again 99% util ~1630 MHz.
Sounds too me like the settings dont apply? ultra performance should give you way less GPU usage since 480p should get you very very CPU bottlenecked or give more fps. Not sure about how powerfull the vega is really but that those resolutions i would guess pretty much any cpu runs into problems. Did you try too set the settings restart the game and see if they still say the same?

Sounds too me like the settings dont apply? ultra performance should give you way less GPU usage since 480p should get you very very CPU bottlenecked or give more fps. Not sure about how powerfull the vega is really but that those resolutions i would guess pretty much any cpu runs into problems. Did you try too set the settings restart the game and see if they still say the same?
I didn't restart to check if settings applied before the first part of my post but the edit happened afterwards on same settings just with the FSR changed which visually appeared to change to lower resolution. I don't know the location where I was playing around with the FSR and I wish I took screenshots of it to show. I just now redid the test (same settings just different FSR setting) and took screenshots outside of V's apartment megabuilding, I also went ahead and took screenshots on 1.5 as well even though FSR 1 and 2 aren't really comparable since 2 has more overhead. Also threw in a 720p non-FSR 1.61 screenshot to show it's not necessarily a FSR 2 problem. All these are same settings but I also cranked down crowd density to low just to be sure that doesn't bottleneck things too bad.

Attachments

• 1.5 FSR1-Ultra Performance.png
    1.5 FSR1-Ultra Performance.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 1.5 Native 1440p.png
    1.5 Native 1440p.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 1.61 720p.png
    1.61 720p.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 36
  • 1.61 FSR2-Quality.png
    1.61 FSR2-Quality.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 1.61 FSR2-Ultra Performance.png
    1.61 FSR2-Ultra Performance.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 1.61 Native 1440p.png
    1.61 Native 1440p.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 39
  • 1.5 FSR1-Quality.png
    1.5 FSR1-Quality.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 32
I didn't restart to check if settings applied before the first part of my post but the edit happened afterwards on same settings just with the FSR changed which visually appeared to change to lower resolution. I don't know the location where I was playing around with the FSR and I wish I took screenshots of it to show. I just now redid the test (same settings just different FSR setting) and took screenshots outside of V's apartment megabuilding, I also went ahead and took screenshots on 1.5 as well even though FSR 1 and 2 aren't really comparable since 2 has more overhead. Also threw in a 720p non-FSR 1.61 screenshot to show it's not necessarily a FSR 2 problem. All these are same settings but I also cranked down crowd density to low just to be sure that doesn't bottleneck things too bad.
Wow seems your not cpu bound. Even getting 83% cpu usage on ultra performance. seems like a balanced build with enough cpu too handle even low resolutions.

I can see this thread is alive and well. I posted in it on 3rd page. Back then I also sent a ticket to support with my findings (more detailed than here - with CapFrameX data). 1.61 arrived and sadly didn't help.
Now I upgraded my CPU from 3600 to 5600 and figured I'm gonna test it again and post more detailed data in this thread too. Everything in one image. Custom identical settings in both builds (since presets have changed in 1.6). Data from benchmark but also from a ride around the city (64 seconds long).
In-game CPU usage in 1.52 is higher (41% vs 32%). GPU power draw is also higher (168W vs 208W). Very odd.
Basically, on these settings, older 1.52 build has 50% more average FPS and 66% more 1-percentle FPS. Sorry, but that's not normal. And yes, I already tried reinstalling drivers, windows, resetting game configs etc.
I can only hope that this problem has been acknowledged, is being worked on and will eventually be fixed.

EDIT: My PC is Ryzen 5600, Vega 56, 16GB 3733 MHz CL16 DDR4 with tight sub-timings. Running up-to-date Windows 10.

fps_drop.jpg

Last edited:
i relaunch the game today before i do a clean install
- delete all cache shader , cache file , temp file , all saves
- remove Red mod launcher
- verify integrity / repair
( don't miss to delete all leftovers files )

all seems good for me , but steel monotoring cpu./ gpu /vram / frametime
may be its a "placebo" effect but game running more smoothly without Redmod launcher

running the game at 45/50 fps
1080p , all setting max ( apart cloud quality off , distant shadow quality low )
RT enable with RT local shadow & RT sun shadow

nota : if you enable mods on GOG launcher , Geforce experience can't see cyberpunk 2077 app .
( with the last diver ndvia , geforce experience changed their optimized setting ,before i only get RT enable , distant shadow was on high , ssr was on high )

ive had success with disabling and re enabling improved facial lighting geometry while in-game, seems to get rid of my frame stutters.

Top Bottom