Frame drops and Stutter FIX

+
Frame drops and Stutter FIX

Hey guys.

I used to get awful frame drops and stuttering whilst playing W3, especially in Novigrad.

The following steps have pretty much eradicated all major instances of drops/stutter for me. I cant promise they'll work for everyone, but it's worth a shot:

1) Start the game from the .exe file (as admin) instead of via GOG. This seemed to have the most impact.
2) Run in 'Borderless Window' - I've ran tests in Full screen and BW and found that the game runs much smoother for me in BW.
3) Turn Frame cap to 'unlimited' - If you cap the frame rate using the in game option, it caused stutters for me. Stick to just V-sync or a third party method.

Further steps if you still get bad drops/stutter:

I) Lower your GFX settings - With more FPS headroom, when you get drops it will not hit so hard and will be a lot less noticeable. Shadow quality and HBAO+ are good options to lower as the differences are barely noticeable. If you haven't already, disable Hairworks.
II) Overclock your GPU - I have a 970 and found a tiny boost to the core clock had a huge impact (+60 increased FPS by 7 in Skellige).

Hope this helps if you have the same problems!

You need to understand the meaning of "fix".

This isn't a fix, this is a workaround at most.

Stuttering seems to be a hdd, cpu hz, graphic card problem. Check those and you should be fine. Take a note that this game supports nvidia.

Everyone's mileage may vary. For me and many others BW is a stutterfest.

Yeah it seems everyone has a different experience, some are better in FS, some like me are better in BW.

The difference for me is night and day; as soon as I go back to FS, it lags horribly.

---------- Updated at 09:07 PM ----------

You need to understand the meaning of "fix".

This isn't a fix, this is a workaround at most.

That's a great lesson in semantics. Thanks.

My post may fix the problem for some people, as it did for me.

Thanks. I have also found that playing in BW eliminates almost all of the stuttering. For me, that's what makes the difference. I tried the admin exe thing and it doesn't seem to help.

Top Bottom