Frame generation stuttering on Ryzen CPUs

+
PT work around ...

So I just upgraded 7800X3D (with a RTX 4090) from intel and am experiencing the horrendous stutter in and out of menu for path traced mode when Frame Generation is on ( very smooth in game apart from this).

Anyway after reading on this and other posts, setting a frame cap to around half of what you average( realistic) framerate is in game seems to sort it out. Sounds a bit mad but it works .

For example my display does 120hrz , typically i would set my frame cap to that , but with Cyberpunk PT mode , If I run the game at 4k with DLSS quality mode and set frame cap to 30fps (in game) with frame generation on I get a steady 60fps with no menu stutter, if I set frame cap to 45 with DLSS auto I get around 85 to 90, again no stutter.

So look at what your desired / realistic framerate is based on your DLSS mode , set your frame rate to around half of that and you should be good.

Though I dont think there is a magic number to set , its based on how many frames your rig is putting out but you can actually play with the framecap number and dlss settings in game to find the sweet spot for you, just set your DLLS mode and frame cap and lower / increase frame cap to point where stutter disappears

Anyway worked for me (based on reading what cleverer people have looked into ) hope tit works for you

Bytes

You are a gentleman and a scholar friend, thank you! It worked a charm :)
So look at what your desired / realistic framerate is based on your DLSS mode , set your frame rate to around half of that and you should be good.

Though I dont think there is a magic number to set , its based on how many frames your rig is putting out but you can actually play with the framecap number and dlss settings in game to find the sweet spot for you, just set your DLLS mode and frame cap and lower / increase frame cap to point where stutter disappears

Anyway worked for me (based on reading what cleverer people have looked into ) hope ti

PT work around ...

So I just upgraded 7800X3D (with a RTX 4090) from intel and am experiencing the horrendous stutter in and out of menu for path traced mode when Frame Generation is on ( very smooth in game apart from this).

Anyway after reading on this and other posts, setting a frame cap to around half of what you average( realistic) framerate is in game seems to sort it out. Sounds a bit mad but it works .

For example my display does 120hrz , typically i would set my frame cap to that , but with Cyberpunk PT mode , If I run the game at 4k with DLSS quality mode and set frame cap to 30fps (in game) with frame generation on I get a steady 60fps with no menu stutter, if I set frame cap to 45 with DLSS auto I get around 85 to 90, again no stutter.

Anyway worked for me (based on reading what cleverer people have looked into ) hope tit works for you

Bytes
this solution will introduce additional input latency on top of already extended latency due to Frame Generation. Not to mention limiting performance in half of the game environments outside the city where fps usually much higher than in the city. hope CDPR fixed it properly
Post automatically merged:

One interesting thing I've noticed the other day when I had cars and crowd mod isntalled. GPU usage drops from 99% on my RTX4090 (with Ryzen 5950x) to 80-90% with that mod after like 2 mins of gameplay in the city (because of high cpu bottleneck I guess due to increased draw calls because of this mod) and in these cases I had no stutters after menus. But as soon as I delete this mode my GPU usage goes up to 99% again - then stutters return.
I wish there was a way to artificially lower GPU usage from 99% to 95%. to see if it helps. But I've done my research last night and looks like there's no way to do so. GPU always works at max power. Only way to limit it's usage it's to limit fps. Which introduces extra latency. Could be cool if there's was at least some dynamic fps limiter of sorts that's could've lower fps depending on gpu usage % or something.
But most probably a better solution would be CDPR just looking into this issue and solving it on their side.

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve noticed the issue disappearing when below certain gpu usage thresholds also. Not entirely sure why, given this seems to mostly occur in CP and The Witcher I can only assume it’s something funky on the engine side of things from CDPR, hopefully they can locate it and it’s a relatively easy fix.

Lors

Forum regular
PT work around ...

Bytes

I know this workaround, but you have to make sure to stay below this GPU threshold at all times. I'm playing this game at 4K DLSS quality with 60-80FPS on average (with some rare dips below 60FPS) on my 13700K with no issues. I could not play this game with this settings on my old 5800X3D because the GPU usage is maxed out far to often and it would start to stutter.

This is somehow a workaround for Ryzen CPU users, but not a good one IMO. I had a feeling that this issue will not be fixed quickly. I guess I was right.

Last edited:
I don't disagree mate, definitely a work around till it gets addressed, and perhaps one that works best with more performant AMD CPU's, but as CP has you going in and out of map etc quite a lot , suggest its better then the alternative.

Best to file a report on it. The more people reporting, the more pressing the matter to fix it (hopefully). Bit of a shame that CDPR doesn't really communicate what they classify as known issues and what they're working on.

Yeah I'll file one for Witcher and CP2077 each I guess (both games exhibit this behaviour)

EDIT: tickets created

Last edited:
Same problem with RTX 4080 and Ryzen 7800X3D. I refunded Cyberpunk because the stuttering was really annoying. Waiting for a fix now

Add me to this list and adding my voice - new system with 7800X3D and RTX 4090... completely unplayable stuttering with frame generation.

7800x3D + 4090 here - and I have the same issue.

I also had the issue with my 5950x CPU before I upgraded, by the way.

Capping the framerate does work and I didn't have to set it to half my expected frame rate, I just capped it using NVCP. With 4K and everything maxed out, including Path Tracing - my average FPS is around 80 (DLSS auto) and that's what I cap it at.

Sadly, it will start stuttering again if you enter a particularly demanding area and your FPS drops below the average - but at least most of the game will be smooth.

I COULD cap it at 60 and (probably) never have stuttering, but that's too low for me in this game.

Yes, Witcher 3 has the exact same issue (huge FPS drops and stuttering at UI/in-game transitions) - but I can run that at max settings without FG and still have around 80 FPS (my personal sweet spot), so I just don't use FG in that game.

Pretty terrible bug and I have no idea why these two games are the only ones that have it. I've played at least a dozen games with FG - and these two CDPR games are the only ones that stutter in this way.

I guess it could be related to their UI integration. IIRC, these games also struggle with VRAM limitations when you enter and exit the UI. It seems they're doing some weird stuff in their code - and I know Witcher 3 has an annoying FPS cap within the UI itself - for whatever reason. Maybe it's due to UI animations having to run at a fixed rate - but I'm just speculating based on next to nothing.

Best guess is that FG gets messed up because of their UI frame rate cap - and has to re-adjust or whatever when exiting the UI. It certainly looks like it's being reset and that it has to calculate motion vectors or whatever it does after exiting the UI all over again.

Just clarifying that DLSS and DLSS's Frame Generation feature are not the same thing:

DLSS will work on Nvidia GPUs from 1000 series onward. (Not sure about all 1060s, but the 1070s, 1080s, and up will be fine.)

DLSS Frame Generation is an added feature that requires a 4000 series card or higher. It's "Frame Generation technology" for Nvidia's DLSS. You may need to activate it in your Control Panel for it to work.

It is not recommended to enable both FSR and DLSS. FSR is AMD's attempts to accomplish the same things as Nvidia's DLSS, and will likely cause issues if used at the same time. If you have a compatible GPU, and you're not seeing the options in your settings menu, then it may be time to use DDU, perform a CLEAN installation, and be sure that you're using the latest reference drivers downloaded directly from nvidia.com.

Not sure if this will help anyone else but I was getting this stuttering and an in-place reinstall of Windows 11 seems to have fixed it (I just did about 15 mins of running around in the game). I only get a very mild stutter now when opening and closing the map/journal/inventory. Almost not noticeable and way better than before. I wasn't actually reinstalling Windows to fix this problem - I assumed it was going to be fixed by the upcoming patch - I was reinstalling to fix an annoying crackling I had happening when Dolby Atmos was switched on (which the reinstall also fixed!). But thought I'd report it here in case it helps anyone else. I'm using a RTX 4070 with a Ryzen 5800X3D. DLSS 3 is on. Incidentally, I was also getting stuttering ingame every so often (only when DLSS 3 was on), and this also appears to have gone away. My Windows 11 install was pretty overdue for a reinstall it seems so YMMV...
1685260097922.png

^much easier to do than I thought too, and didn't need to reinstall any apps or anything.

Attachments

• 1685259824848.png
    1685259824848.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 33
Do we have any news on when the fix update may deploy? My playthrough is on hold waiting for this fix.

Apparently it's fixed now with patch 1.63
Them specifying addressing this particular issue on AMD CPUs in patch notes.
I've tested it. Works amazingly now. Smooth as butter!

They need to apply this fix to Witcher 3 now!

Agreed, just tested this and it works! I can finally play again and path tracing looking better than ever!

Top Bottom