Frame rate drops but only while driving

+
Hi,

So i've looked through a bunch of resources online and I can't seem to find anything about how to fix this issue, or if this is even an issue at all.

I have an RTX 2060, I7-7700K, 16 GB RAM and M.2 SSD and the game works fine at 1440p, after using Nvidia Control Panel for optimization, hitting around 60 FPS, in almost all places... EXCEPT one. When I drive, especially if I'm in a fast vehicle like a bike, the FPS varies wildly. In certain sections of the town, which seem less demanding, I'm getting a solid 60 FPS no matter the speed I'm driving at. But in other sections of the city, my FPS drop to below playable numbers. I'm talking about low teens perhaps even less.

This is a jarring shift. I've tried capping the FPS to 50 in order to stem the drop from the variable framerate but the difference is still huge. I've tried turning on "Slow harddrive" mode but that doesn't seem to help much. It still seems like I'm getting at least 20-30 FPS dropped between regular play and the driving sections.

What's weird is that if I walk this isn't a problem. Everything works kinda-OK. Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue? Currently I'm holding off on playing anymore of this amazing game because exploring the city and driving through it are half the fun, IMO. Is this perhaps going to get patched or is it just a solitary incident due to my hardware, which is not likely to be addressed soon?

Any help would be greatly appreciate, cause I'd like to know if it's worth holding out for future patches or if my hardware is just s***.

I have been struggling with the same issue, and no one seems to talk about it. I really don't get it. Your hardware is not shit.

I am running
R5 3600
RTX 2070 super
16gb 3600 Mhz cl18

And I am also running the game on a 1440p monitor. Everything works decently except while driving everything turns to shit. Really don't know when this will.be fixed.

You sure you are both using the ssd?
It can be the background streaming of assets or the ray tracing. Vehicles are one of the elements where ray tracing has the most impact.
For me it is the time of day in-game that reduces my performance (population density and traffic).

I have been struggling with the same issue, and no one seems to talk about it. I really don't get it. Your hardware is not shit.

I am running
R5 3600
RTX 2070 super
16gb 3600 Mhz cl18

And I am also running the game on a 1440p monitor. Everything works decently except while driving everything turns to shit. Really don't know when this will.be fixed.
Can confirm there are some 3 - 5 specific spots in the city where FPS drops.
Can confirm, using a mod that stops cars spawning, the current vanilla traffic configuration does NOT in any way cause FPS drops.
Can confirm, using a mod that stops NPCs spawning, in my game, crowds drop FPS by between 3 - 18, especially at one of those specific spots. Can safely say FPS dropping at the specific spots, has been happening ever since launch.
Can confirm, without crowds or traffic, high speed by itself, does not cause any FPS drops, in my game at least.

Your issue stands a chance of being fixed if you forward it to them, which you can do here.

Guest 4561861

I used to have this problem when I had an AMD Vega 64 card. In the "Tunnel Caliburn" I could easily run out of road texture in the badlands, and some parts of the city would be flying by so fast the FPS would really take a hit playing at 4k. Since I updated to an RTX 3090, I haven't had these problems. Some of the bikes and cars can really stress out GPUs, and outrun the frame buffers. Tweak the graphics settings, especially the cloud volumetric settings, to lessen the workload, and you should be able to find a happy medium between graphics and performance.

Top Bottom