Framerate drops in Night City - not AMD, no limiter, no Asus AI

+
Guys, I have unexplained framerate drops in Night City. Some specs below:

i7-9700k
RTX3080
32GB RAM
Both latest and older drivers tested, W10 up to date, no Asus AI or anything, MoBo's by MSI.
Tested all available "fixes", nothing applies.

Frames drop from over 100 in Badlands and some parts of NC to 40 in Japantown and a few other places. When FPS is close to 100 the GPU utilization is 99%. When the drops occur, it drops to 60%. CPU utilization also goes down. Settings don't change anything. Can be ultra with ultra RTX or lower/without RTX and the same happens on every DLSS setting. 1440P resolution.

Any ideas? As i said, all popular tricks were tested, no joy.

I would try disabling Hyper-Threading in BIOS. I don't think any games use those extra fake cores anyways -- it's meant for highly parallelized software like video encoding.

I don't have "extra" cores, mine are purely physical, 8 cores, 8 threads, 's it. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

RTX 3080
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI MoBo

I have the exact same problem. Playing now on 4k raytracing on with 30 - 40 fps in the City because there is no difference in fps on 4k or 2k or lower resolutions.

I saw a post on Nexus mods about a "pool" or something or other, to do with vram and cpu usage etc. It was posted yesterday and it just replaces a file within your game folder, I tried it yesterday as I'd be having some weird frame trouble lie you said I'd be great on less busy areas with around 90ish usage for my videocard but then in the city it can dip lower than 50 whenever the city is more intensive surely so why does it drop usage then? Not entirely sure what the fix does so I made a backup and replaced the file and my fps does seem to be a bit more stable now. I'm using ryzen 5 3600 (had a bottleneck issue with it not be utilised properly as well) 16gb ram and rtx 2070 super, not using any Ray tracing usually sits about 60 until I'm driving about or in a dense area like the market near wakako? Also haven't had any luck or boost with DLSS, all it seems to do is make the character in inventory blurry and muddies up some of the visuals for no real increase in frames

As stated in my original post - all of the current workarounds were tested and there's no improvement. Sadly I think it is a bigger bug in how the city is handled. It's not normal that when I'm on one street I have almost 100 fps, all ultra and just crossing that street causes the fps to drop to 45. I would accept an issue where the rig is not up to the challenge, a high cpu and gpu usage and 45 frames would mean that my rig is insufficient to produce more, but it defiinitely is and easily gives 100+ frames 10 meters earlier and 10 meters later xD. Also, my earlier card - 2070s seemed to work a bit steadier of course without RTX on.
Post automatically merged:

Additionally once again - the issue is present only in certain parts of NC. Most areas give a steady 80+.

[MERGED FROM PREVIOUS TOPIC]

Hi, I'm here to talk about a strange performance issue that I often have experienced while playing.

I'm playing at 2560x1440 with DLSS performance, RT reflections ON, RT shadows OFF, RT light Medium, and all the classic rasterizer settings to high/ultra. I usually get 45-60fps.

The problem: sometimes (usually while driving) I get 25-30fps in zones where I remember to get around 45-55fps... so I've noticed that if I save the game, and reload that save (without restarting the game) after waiting cars and pedestrians to spawn (so after waiting the game to really return in the same condition as before) I "restore" my framerate to higher values.... It's like if sometime something broke the game and performance are ruined if game is not reloaded. A friend of mine (with actually the same setup) has also noticed this problem. I have to say that, when this occour, cpu/gpu/ram % usage are not anomalous, I'm not getting for example 50% gpu usage instead of 90-100%.... I'm going to say some stupid things... but maybe the problem is some kind of vram memory leaks, assets not deallocated properly, or maybe some rendering distance/areas that are rendered when they should not? Maybe performance fall slowly due to a bug until you notice that framerate is not right... and then, reloading the game restore performances.

So... I'm the only one?

Hardware: I7 9700K 4.9, RTX 2070, 2x8GB 3400Mhz, game installed on nvme 970Evo Plus, Win 10 last update, nvidia last driver, no strange background processes sucking performance.

Last edited:
Your theory sounds good, but for example in my case, the drops (both FPS and GPU usage) happen in certain areas, no matter if i am loading into the area or driving/walking to it. So it seems you have a different, interesting case for which you might have found the root cause.

The problem on your end is that 8 GB of VRAM is simply not enough when using Raytracing (no matter how much), in conjunction with high texture.
I personally switched to medium textures, and those heavy framedrops are now completely gone.
I can even use all raytraced effects >40 fps all the time with DLSS balanced.
That is at 1440p on a RTX 2080 Super.

Dude, read my original post xD I have 3080OC. So no issue in the rig - issue is in the game optimization in denser areas.

The problem on your end is that 8 GB of VRAM is simply not enough when using Raytracing (no matter how much), in conjunction with high texture.
I personally switched to medium textures, and those heavy framedrops are now completely gone.
I can even use all raytraced effects >40 fps all the time with DLSS balanced.
That is at 1440p on a RTX 2080 Super.

Man, that's really cutting it down. I'm rendering at 75% of 4k resolution Image Sharpened up to a 4k screen, from the DLSS Quality AI base which is scaling up from 1440P already.

Everything is Ultra, the only setting I can't flick them to is Psycho, both of the Psycho settings otherwise including Ray Tracing are still Ultra.

Depth of Field is off, Motion Blur is off, as is Film Grain.

I'm only using a 2070Super OC'd.. Average FPS stays between 30-37, however, to get that stable rate, the game must be started, and exited a few times before it sticks.

Also, the sacrifice is, I have to reload every few minutes moving around in major city areas before something random causes the frames drop to below 20's, or after transitioning to another/multiple area/s. UPDATE: In 1.06 the framerate even goes up sometimes when I leave an area and enter a new one. AS I said, this is clearly optimization.

I disagree and still believe this could be better optimized. Sometimes the FPS stays solidly at 40+, too with nothing changed in settings, it just doesn't set values and use them properly, imho.

Furthermore, the frames can drop permanently until reloading or restarting the game in the menus, just looking at messages, and even just taking a photo in photo mode.

Last edited:
You have a serious issue in your hardware, seems. I have a second rig with rtx2070s, no OC - 60fps solid without RT, on ultra, 45 with RT.

You have a serious issue in your hardware, seems. I have a second rig with rtx2070s, no OC - 60fps solid without RT, on ultra, 45 with RT.

I'm running a fourth gen CPU and DDR3 ram. Everything else runs perfectly fine, nothing has issues like that. A cpu upgrade alone would double my FPS in many newer titles, but the optimization is not good..

You also said nothing about your resolution, which literally is the biggest FPS killer I have tested for this title.

Furthermore, it stabilizes better in this patch, 1.06, which is why I updated my findings, herp derp.

Let's literally defend something that needs patches because it happens to be optimized better for your specific rig and monitor.

Last edited:
in corpo plaza, which i believe is the heaviest RT place in the game, with my 2700 and rt lighting on medium I’m getting at

night 45-50fps while driving (almost no traffic).at daytime huge drop to 30 or less, again with almost no traffic.

the I took below screen which answers the why,

lights still working in daylight and also shooting through walls wasting gpu resources especially for 1st generation rtx cards

the game faces in general the same issue battlefield 5 had ,doing rt when is not need it .

we will probably not see this things fixed before the big patches.

photomode_26122020_105848.png

Well - I fixed my issue - it was clearly the CPU and/or RAM. When upgraded form i7-9700f to i7-10700kf, RAM to 3200 and a better mobo - from h310 to z490 - the lowest i get with max settings incl. psycho on 1440P is 75 FPS. Jig Jig, Corpo Plaza, driving over 200 - no drops.

Top Bottom