Francesca dominance in ladder

+
Dear CDPR, as you can see, almost all the players in the tournament banned Francesca, and it's understandable, since the previous patch made it completely unbalanced. The tournament was over, but now this mud has filled the ladder (it was before him, but now it's quantity is going through the roof). Maybe it’s time to introduce the "Leader Ban" function (similar to a tournament)? The implementation' s very simple, so maybe you add this to your "priority list"?

The problem is that they shouldn't buff her up last patch. She was in good position before DJ/Foltest/Usurper shenaningans last month- not too op, not too up. I think they decided to buff her because of the change of her ability- to play only ST special card, not any special card. And we see the result. :)
P.s. I like the buffs/changes to some other cards that received Harmony/ Poison though!

She was fine actually while she could replay any spellcard. To change it affected the Scorch and Spellatel decks in a bad way, she's only sort of a tutor atm. Since theres not many ST cards at all. I'd say Scorch is now so bad as card it should be reduced in prov costs.

She was fine actually while she could replay any spellcard. To change it affected the Scorch and Spellatel decks in a bad way, she's only sort of a tutor atm. Since theres not many ST cards at all. I'd say Scorch is now so bad as card it should be reduced in prov costs.
That argument makes no sense (if I do not fail to understand your point), you state it having less targets, not gaining any new targets, is what broke her.

On a side note, I am not a believer of "Reducing her provision cost back to the pre-buff state fixes her".

I agree, i am currently at rank 7 and ranked mode is unplayable. Thank god i got casual unlocked. Everybody plays Djikstra, Francesca or portal abuse Calanthe. I even stopped sending GGs to those people. Its just one click so i was sending it all the time, but not anymore. Getting bullyed every single game by people who dont even know how to properly play those decks they dowloaded, made me mad, really mad. I am not the one downloads few pro made metadecks and plays them over and over again, only bcs they want to get a victory... Where is the satisfaction in that?

You talk here about balance all the time, but thats wrong. Yes, game needs polishing, its much better now than ever, but still there are tons of cards that need rework or a buff. There are archetypes which are currently not played at all. Like pirates, bloodthirst for SK beasts, organic for monsters etc, you get the point.

The thing is, despite all the effort put into it, the game will never be balanced as we would like it to be. There will always be certain decks and leaders stronger than others.

We got to ask how to fix that. CDPR has to create a situation in which it would be more atractive to play ,,weaker,, leaders. The only way how to achieve that in my opinion is to create some sort of leader rankings. We got how many leaders right now? 36? So, in those leader ranking will be leaders put in order by the amount of games they were played. ( those numbers would be hidden for obvious reasons, but the rank 1 leader would have the most games, rank 2 less etc ) And now the important part. Leaders at the bottom would have certain benefits and those in upper ranks the opposite.

And since people care for rankings so much, leaders at the bottom would gain more rank points for winning and loose less for losing. Leaders at the top the opposite, gain less for winning and loose more for losing. That way people would be encouraged to play the unpopular leaders and make decks for them which would mean they wouldnt be that weak after all. Rank would be changing all the time, there would be mroe variety in leaders etc.

If you ask me, that might actualy work. Just because of human nature.

And btw, Francesca change was a very bad idea. I think she should stayed the same. I had a fun deck that was based around having 2 ragnarooks... She was the most variable leader only bcs she could replay any special card. Now its like, play waters and justice or go home... boring, not fun and abusing.

And now a litle about portal theme. I really like that card, it makes 4p engines less useless, but there is not enough risk involved so people feel safe putting it into every deck. So, again, how to fix it? I was thinking a litle bit about this and got an idea. What if there was a catch in it. What if it had a deathwish tag, the negative one. If portal got destroyed, it would destroy one of the adjacent units. What do you think about that?

[...]
You talk here about balance all the time, but thats wrong. Yes, game needs polishing, its much better now than ever, but still there are tons of cards that need rework or a buff. There are archetypes which are currently not played at all. Like pirates, bloodthirst for SK beasts, organic for monsters etc, you get the point.
[...]
And btw, Francesca change was a very bad idea. I think she should stayed the same. I had a fun deck that was based around having 2 ragnarooks... She was the most variable leader only bcs she could replay any special card. Now its like, play waters and justice or go home... boring, not fun and abusing.
[...]
And now a litle about portal theme. I really like that card, it makes 4p engines less useless, but there is not enough risk involved so people feel safe putting it into every deck. So, again, how to fix it? I was thinking a litle bit about this and got an idea. What if there was a catch in it. What if it had a deathwish tag, the negative one. If portal got destroyed, it would destroy one of the adjacent units. What do you think about that?
SK beast was murdered in a pretty obvious way, there is no way they thought it would still be playable without the only good card in the deck (given the new cursed flaminica they took an ok deck and just took away copies of their only good card).
No way anyone could have been under the illusion that Beast SK could even be a tier 5 or 6 deck, literal cardpiles without synergy at all are better.

Francesca good a smaller pool and got no new options, Francesca was always this busted with her targets, only that people also used more meme targets like Ragna (also she can play Novigradian Justice).

That deathwish tag would be fine, adding value to artifact removal, without overdoing this (some people suggested it killing both summoned targets, which would be too much).
Another option would be to halve the tutored units power or reducing them by 1 (because taking a portal is stressful on the body or something like that).

@InkognitoXI: I ment since she now only can recycle ST cards (thats a 5) she is very limited, unless ofcourse the game expands ST spellcards. Once she was fine with Scorchdecks, better then Eithe actually in my opinion since I dont need to ping 1 damage via a leader-ability, and ofcourse in Spellatel my favorite since the beta. She was fun to play with but currently it looks like tutoring is her best skill.

@InkognitoXI: I ment since she now only can recycle ST cards (thats a 5) she is very limited, unless ofcourse the game expands ST spellcards. Once she was fine with Scorchdecks, better then Eithe actually in my opinion since I dont need to ping 1 damage via a leader-ability, and ofcourse in Spellatel my favorite since the beta. She was fun to play with but currently it looks like tutoring is her best skill.
My point was that she was always able to do that, I agree that Spellatel was massively hit by her change, however the targets that break her were available before the change as well.
Tutoring was her best skill before as well, however now the options, while being more narrow, still include the most ridiculous ones.

To be honest, in case Spellatel is supposed to be a thing the start should not be with Francesca to fix them.

Running 13 units only in a deck makes tutoring questionable. Just 6 of them are ST. We just got to wait untill there is more spellcards for ST in times of expansion concerning Spellatel decks. Having a double Garrison was awesome.

I haven't played in a while, can someone fill me in why Francesca is so good now? The last thing I heard was that she was nerved to only re-use ST spells istead of all spells.

Last edited:
I haven't played in a while, can someone fill me in why Francesca is so good now? The last thing I heard was that she was nerved to only re-use SC spells istead of all spells.
Well she is overused due to the super effectiveness of the ST cards - Waters of Brokilon, Call of the Forest, Novigradian Justice and the poison removal thematic. Plus her provisions were buffed by 2. It's the general strength of ST rather than Fran that makes people overplay those decks, Fran is the cherry on the top.

Fran's ability was always problematic and the same can be said about any leader that can play a card - do you remember that Calveit+Zoltan+Vivi combo ? :D
They realy f*cked it up by increasing her provisions, even 13 was too much. Plus Justice and Waters are very powerfull on their own, especialy when you can make good use of those 2 extra engines.
Fran will probably get nerfed in the next patch, i just hope they will touch her provisions and not her ability. They should also nerf ST as a whole, that faction is a bit overtuned.

Fran's ability was always problematic and the same can be said about any leader that can play a card - do you remember that Calveit+Zoltan+Vivi combo ? :D
They realy f*cked it up by increasing her provisions, even 13 was too much. Plus Justice and Waters are very powerfull on their own, especialy when you can make good use of those 2 extra engines.
Fran will probably get nerfed in the next patch, i just hope they will touch her provisions and not her ability. They should also nerf ST as a whole, that faction is a bit overtuned.
They could also give her a passive and restrict the provision cost of the cards she can access.
Though that is also me being a fan of passive abilities like Queen, DJ (and Gerni), which create a playfield with additional rules for archtypes.
In that way Franchesca could be more tacked to Spellatel.
Edit: Also let us not forget that Justice and Water are basicly cheaper Portals with little to no way to brick (basicly strictly better Portals).
Which Franchesca can use for a third copy, also being able to put out 4 engines in 1 turn.

They could also give her a passive and restrict the provision cost of the cards she can access.
Though that is also me being a fan of passive abilities like Queen, DJ (and Gerni), which create a playfield with additional rules for archtypes.
In that way Franchesca could be more tacked to Spellatel.
Edit: Also let us not forget that Justice and Water are basicly cheaper Portals with little to no way to brick (basicly strictly better Portals).
Which Franchesca can use for a third copy, also being able to put out 4 engines in 1 turn.

Portal thins two cards out of your deck. Justice thins one and Water by itself doesn't thin at all.

Portal thins two cards out of your deck. Justice thins one and Water by itself doesn't thin at all.
That is true, however Portal restricts the 4 provision cards one can play and can brick, while Justice and Water are almost unbrickable.
Not to mention that Portal forces to give up several mulligans to get the full effect out of it.

All leaders who allow you to play 2 cards in one turn are powerfull. Just look at calanthe, calveit, francesca and even dana ( she is hidden in the frans shadow, but still... ) And cleaver, he is not considered to be strong bcs most of the time he is used on bronze low prov card.

Edit. I am not sure if it would correct, but maybe CDPR should change those leaders to do something else, just for the sake of other leaders.

Top Bottom