Free song from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt soundtrack!

+
Free song from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt soundtrack!

Here is another musical piece from Geralt’s adventures!

This one you’ll hear while exploring the wind-swept Skellige islands. The song is based on an old English folk song “Bonnie At Morn”, but one of our composers, Mikolai Stroinski, made it our own by creating his own version. You can listen to it here or, if you prefer, on SoundCloud. Enjoy!

It's a beautiful piece. It feels very different from what Marcin did for The Witcher 3. Sounds more like The Witcher 2.

Is it wrong that I much prefer the instrumental-only version? Not too happy about the amount of vocals used so far ((and with the tone/style them)).

I like the pure instrumental version more as well. It surely would sound better in the game as background music. May be because it sets the mood better. It's not wrong and accidental however. Non verbal expression is a higher level than verbal one. I.e. verbal part usually draws some attention to itself, while pure instrumental music gives way to non verbal expression fully. It doesn't mean that songs don't have their own place and beauty however.

Last edited:
Without vocals.

Thanks for the track, but just to be clear, are you also saying you would prefer the game track to be without vocals? I know this is an issue for some people.
(I don't need an answer btw, just in case you want to clarify your post which is currently murky ;))

Thanks for that too, and I note its not your mistake, but that video track calls it "celtic Northumbrian music", and while there certainly is a celtic influence in Northumbria, that song does not sound celtic to me, at all, a Scottish brogue to the words isn't enough, imo. So kudos to the REDs for getting its extraction correct ;)

It sounds very medieval English. I also don't think it particularly suits Uilleann pipes, the player should get some Northumbrian small pipes for it, which have a sweeter, lighter tone, I reckon they'd be far more suitable.

The small amount of sampled pipes on the RED version are fine though.

And I really like their version ! I've just listened to it looping for the last 30 mins, actually reminds me of both previous games in part, but mostly TW1 (Murky waters a little in the whistle, Vizima outskirts in the synth). It's not what I was expecting for Skellige - I wasn't expecting peaceful moments ;)

I could go on, but its enough to say it sounds great to me - I'm not one of those bothered by vocals in the exploratory music in the right places at the right times (i.e. around inhabited areas). I approve of this music choice. :)

Thanks for that too, and I note its not your mistake, but that video track calls it "celtic Northumbrian music", and while there certainly is a celtic influence in Northumbria, that song does not sound celtic to me, at all, a Scottish brogue to the words isn't enough, imo. So kudos to the REDs for getting its extraction correct ;)

I agree - it sounds like what it is, an English folk song played with Celtic instruments. I think that it's mainly the intervals, I didn't sit down and analyse it, but the tune definitely "feels" more English than Celtic. (As it should, if it's from Northumberland).

Top Bottom