From Ofier's Distant Shores bug. Possible Spolier

+
I've played this game for years without issue, then I install the DLC and in the space of one week I come across two bugs that have been present and known about for as long as I've been playing, that render two quest lines incompletable.

I can't know the precise ins and outs of how CDPR build their games, but I've worked in the games industry and I know how games similar to this work. If the tools they use to build the game are so flawed that they can't build a workaround that:

- adds the missing items to the game in the form of a nearby chest (only visible when the quest has started)
- mark the associated quests as complete
- marks the appropriate flags for quests/NPCs/player states/game states

they literally wouldn't have been able to make the game. The idea that such things can't be added without breaking everything is absurd. It implies that the whole game would need to be built from point A to point Z without any deviation from the next consecutive letter. Anyone who's worked in game development knows that's impossible. If anyone had made a mistake in a prior task, they'd have to scrap everything they'd done after that task in order to fix it.

I'm not going to boycott CDPR, or declare the game the worst thing ever, because what they've achieved with Witcher 3 is incredible. But to leave bugs like this in a game, years after release, when they easily have the resources available to provide a workaround that allows players to enjoy the content they've purchased, is incredibly disappointing. An apology isn't what people paid for. Even if the bug can't be tracked down, a workaround could be made that wouldn't compromise the game for players that don't experience the bug. I'd be genuinely surprised if such a workaround took longer than a day to implement, and a week to push through console update procedures.

I'm with "deked" up there at #179.

No depiction of "self entitlement" when this issue was presented to the developers over three years ago, with no avail.

Consumer's purchase. Consumer's problem.

Last edited:
2019 and still broke. The only game coming out that I am so excited for is Cyberpunk 2077 I hope its not so buggy. Witcher 3 is great but not being able to get armor or finish quests is BS

There is no known fix (or cause) for the bug. If it occurs, the only option is to reload a save and try to begin the quest again. If it simply refuses to work, you are still able to play by "beginning a new game" for HoS content only. Alternatively, you'll need to start a whole new playthrough of the main game.

There's no guarantee that any of the following suggestions will work, but based on other issues, it may affect the likelihood of the bug appearing:

1.) Limit any background processes (marketplace, background updates / downloads, chat / friends features, streaming, etc.) on the PS4. Disable all of it and play offline. Free up as many resources as possible on your console.

2.) Do not try to start the quest very late into a playthrough. The longer you have been playing the same game (saving and reloading the same paythrough), the more of a chance things have of borking. There is a similar concern for NG+ mode and very high levels. The game was designed to be played through to a conclusion; it was not designed for a single playthrough to be played "indefinitely".

3.) Manage your inventory before beginning the quest. Dump every single thing you don't absolutely need into a stash or sell it. Having a very loaded inventory can create issues after a while due to how the game saves items and keeps track of them. This is especially true if you have multiple "copies" of weapons or armor in your actual, carried inventory. (Meaning, for example, numerous "Velen Longswords" -- especially if they have been in your inventory for a long while.)

4.) If the game has been running for a time when you're about to start the quest, exit, restart your console, and reload the game fresh, then start it. Again, ensuring the game has a lot of resources available may help.

5.) Don't fast-travel once you start the quest. (At least, not until you get passed the part that's bugging out.) Also, don't take any "shortcuts" to save time (hopping over mountains to avoid traveling around, etc.) Just follow the path the game sets out for you and ensure you interact with all the stuff on the way.

To date, as far as I know, there is no known reason for the bug to be happening. Why it affects certain people and not others is a complete mystery. All attempted fixes have worked for some people...then it would simply crop up again for others. Everything that can be done has been done.

Lets be fair now theres a lot of people getting mad at the developers and its not fair theyve made a god damn masterpiece of a game and its huge theyve had so many bugs to fix and theyre working through them theyll fix this one eventually

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no known fix (or cause) for the bug. If it occurs, the only option is to reload a save and try to begin the quest again. If it simply refuses to work, you are still able to play by "beginning a new game" for HoS content only. Alternatively, you'll need to start a whole new playthrough of the main game.

There's no guarantee that any of the following suggestions will work, but based on other issues, it may affect the likelihood of the bug appearing:

1.) Limit any background processes (marketplace, background updates / downloads, chat / friends features, streaming, etc.) on the PS4. Disable all of it and play offline. Free up as many resources as possible on your console.

2.) Do not try to start the quest very late into a playthrough. The longer you have been playing the same game (saving and reloading the same paythrough), the more of a chance things have of borking. There is a similar concern for NG+ mode and very high levels. The game was designed to be played through to a conclusion; it was not designed for a single playthrough to be played "indefinitely".

3.) Manage your inventory before beginning the quest. Dump every single thing you don't absolutely need into a stash or sell it. Having a very loaded inventory can create issues after a while due to how the game saves items and keeps track of them. This is especially true if you have multiple "copies" of weapons or armor in your actual, carried inventory. (Meaning, for example, numerous "Velen Longswords" -- especially if they have been in your inventory for a long while.)

4.) If the game has been running for a time when you're about to start the quest, exit, restart your console, and reload the game fresh, then start it. Again, ensuring the game has a lot of resources available may help.

5.) Don't fast-travel once you start the quest. (At least, not until you get passed the part that's bugging out.) Also, don't take any "shortcuts" to save time (hopping over mountains to avoid traveling around, etc.) Just follow the path the game sets out for you and ensure you interact with all the stuff on the way.

To date, as far as I know, there is no known reason for the bug to be happening. Why it affects certain people and not others is a complete mystery. All attempted fixes have worked for some people...then it would simply crop up again for others. Everything that can be done has been done.

Hello,

I am playing on PS4 Pro and just ran into this glitch/bugged chest for the quest "From Ofier's Distant Shores - search bandit camp". I tried everything listed above and no fix, the chest is still bugged. But I wanted to give some details I noticed in trying to debug the issue myself.

1) After reloading an older save that was before ever starting any of the DLC from the current save that has the bugged chest results in the chest and enterance to the underground bandit to be left open and looted already with no enemies. Strange.

2) Some shopkeepers are missing from their posts even though the map shows they are there. Meditating does not make them reappear. This only occurred after the chest bug so it may or may not be related to the chest bug?

3) This is something I posted to my Youtube channel because I couldn't replicate it again but while trying to loot the bugged chest while using "Witcher Sense" the prompt to loot chest appeared for a split second. I'll post the link below for reference purposes and in case if it is at all helpful to debugging this glitch/bug.

Well that's about it. Hope this helps the devs out on figuring out this bug.

2020 bug still exists... ran into the wolf school gear bug as well so this is a newgame+ and now I have the Ofier's distant shore bug... new playing this companies games again..

I just purchase the expansion, and only after a couple hours on it I find this bug. I tried to reload a previous save from before activating the quest, same issue. It is so infuriating...

It's not a reliably-replicable bug. I've played TW3 through to completion 3 times so far (including HoS and B&W) and never once encountered this bug.

It's not a reliably-replicable bug. I've played TW3 through to completion 3 times so far (including HoS and B&W) and never once encountered this bug.

Nor I in the 3 playthroughs I engaged in the HoS content. However, it's definitely an issue, and seems to be more prevalent on consoles from what I can tell. My only guess is that it has to do with available RAM or the way RAM is managed for that part of the game. I don't know if any rhyme or reason for this, the Wolf Chest bug, or other such issues was ever found.

July 2022, Xbox Series X, still bugged. Saving/reloading doesn't work. Yes, I'm far into the game, and no, I don't want to start over just to work around this bug.

I find this utterly ridiculous.

Top Bottom