FudgeMuppet's analysis of Cyberpunk Marketing versus Released Version

+

Do you agree with their assessment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Releasing before the game was ready imho will go down as the biggest missed opportunity in gaming for a long time to come. You can see how well done the game world is done.

It shows to me when I play the game, that certain elements were simply just not given any love whatsoever. In particular, the NPC interactions are extremely empty. To the point that you realize the NPC's are just an illusion fill mechanic to immerse the player. When you reach this point you lose yr connection to the game world. Of course I dont just refer to yr run of the mill NPC but all the NPC vendors you cant interact with, the generic consumables with no variation in the benefits they avail to you.

The fact that once you reach end-game, and have spec'd yr character correctly, you can terminate an entire max-tac team, 4 star wanted level and there is no impact.

Guest 3573786

I would probably agree, but I stopped watching after the spoiler warning. I dont plan to start playing until goty with all the expansions comes out and a few hundred mods to boot.

*yawns*
It's funny how easily people get sucked in the marketing hype. If you actually think teasers and pre-release trailers are going to resemble the actual game you must be new to video games.

You people need to realize ever since Fallout 4 these types of games have never been the same.

*yawns*
It's funny how easily people get sucked in the marketing hype. If you actually think teasers and pre-release trailers are going to resemble the actual game you must be new to video games.

You people need to realize ever since Fallout 4 these types of games have never been the same.

Valid point hence this excellent weigh-in from FM

*yawns*

While true, in this case it wasnt just marketing. There were devs, producers etc saying this and that will be doable just 6 months prior to release, then silently gut all that without saying a word as well as hiding the true state of the game until release but yup, people should just accept getting a turd in a box cus THEY listened to the game makers lie about whats in the game.

HOW is that the consumers fault? Its people like you that give companies the cajones to do this crap because youll not only take it but youll sniff the crap and lie and say it smells like roses.

Companies that lie or deceive in any way shape or form are the problem, as well as people like you for accepting this bs.

Interesting thought about the last minute rewriting to give Johnny Silverhand space. So maybe without him we could have a RPG, instead a Action Adventure Looter Shooter.

What really knocks me off is that there are so many cutscenes with "your" V in ingame-Footage (Saving the girl, meeting with Dex in the Motel).
And in the game? Nothing.
Let it swing in the inventory, make a few pics and see him/her again in the endings.
That's it.

+ 1 thing after the vid. Why the crafting is not a open world vendor thing? why it is an in build skill?
Right now all the builds are starting with this skill if you want to play a character with cool armors and weapons

I cant understand ONE thing...and, its a critic:

Why i need to agree with a yes or a no or 'i dont know?

Cyberpunk, as a complex game - and it is - has elements that work for some, do not work for others, in third parties, we will concretize and, even so, with different ideas - it happens.

Why, then, is there no such alternative in the 'poll'? because what we propose is and merely 'organized supporters', something like 'if it's not A, it's B ... if it's not B, it's A'.

I, in particular, find this so 'mediocre' ... it is as if, whoever asks the question, tries to impose, by hammering, an opinion on others ...:

'Jhon doesn't like ice cream, so he likes Sandwiche' ... :B

Cyberpunk, as a complex game - and it is - has elements that work for some, do not work for others, in third parties, we will concretize and, even so, with different ideas - it happens.

Why, then, is there no such alternative in the 'poll'? because what we propose is and merely 'organized supporters', something like 'if it's not A, it's B ... if it's not B, it's A'.

I, in particular, find this so 'mediocre' ... it is as if, whoever asks the question, tries to impose, by hammering, an opinion on others ...:

Valid point, I had this in mind when I added "Don't know". But if I may be so bold, with all polls you don't have to add your input if you dont wish to.

The main point of the post was to bring awareness on the forums to a very detailed analysis of the game and I wanted to know if people agreed or disagreed with said analysis.

Value your input. Cheers

*yawns*

Most people are sheeps that get influenced by some influencer on Youtube to preorder, and later get influenced to hate the game. Even game journalists get influenced, the average score for PC at release date was 92, now that the game is better because of patched the score is lowered to 86.

This is not directed at the OP. I did not watch the video because of spoiler warning. If there is constructive feedback in there it is appreciated, it will drive developers to improve the game or do better next time.

Brilliantly done deserves to be seen. Kindly complete the poll if you would like to weigh in.
By now as I assume most people that got it at launch must be through it or at least well into it. I think most would have to agree that the game is not really what they said it would be.

I really hope that they do what is right and bring it to the game, whether that is sort of a remake or simply release a sandbox version, where you can have a fun time in Night city doing all kinds of things, maybe going back to an earlier build and take it from there or whatever is possible, I really don't know.

But I still think that the whole environment and just fooling around in Night city could be a lot of fun, because it is still an amazing looking place, especially if they fix the traffic, NPCs and make it possible to do something there etc. It would just be sad to see it go to waste on a linear action / adventure game like this, when so many cool things could be done here.

I also think that's why so many people react so strongly to it, because of the lack of possibilities of what it could be. Its such a shame, and if they have no intention of doing it and just fix bugs and sort of swipe it under the carpet. It would obviously completely ruin their reputation more than it is now. They should at least release it to modders and let people have their own fun with it. But personally I hope they do a mixture, let modders go nuts and then pull a No man sky on it, meaning that they admit that the game didn't release as they led people to believe, but that they are committed to deliver what they promised people years ago.

And hopefully learn to not build a game around a movie star ever again, unless that is the actual character you play, like in Death stranding.

Most people are sheeps that get influenced by some influencer on Youtube to preorder, and later get influenced to hate the game. Even game journalists get influenced, the average score for PC at release date was 92, now that the game is better because of patched the score is lowered to 86.

This is not directed at the OP. I did not watch the video because of spoiler warning. If there is constructive feedback in there it is appreciated, it will drive developers to improve the game or do better next time.

Exactly this post brings awareness, appreciate the sentiment. I for one are very critical of what has been released versus what was promised however I hope they hear this feedback and do pull a "fixeroo" and add content that needs to be in the game.

I think this will add value and I also believe that this game is only the first in the series of Cyberpunk games.

Interesting thought about the last minute rewriting to give Johnny Silverhand space. So maybe without him we could have a RPG, instead a Action Adventure Looter Shooter.

What really knocks me off is that there are so many cutscenes with "your" V in ingame-Footage (Saving the girl, meeting with Dex in the Motel).
And in the game? Nothing.
Let it swing in the inventory, make a few pics and see him/her again in the endings.
That's it.
Same here. Really makes you wonder how much they changed when they got Keanu on board. I mean nothing definitively says they didn't have the game as it is planned from the start and were just waiting to cast their Silverhand but like they point out with the bit on the radio about Silverhand dying last year, it does seem like they changed direction 2 years ago. If that's true it explains so much.

To be fair if I was an exec of the game studio, not a dev but an exec, and I had an opportunity to get Keanu into my Cyberpunk game, not sure how you'd turn that down.

My general problem with the game world is that the world feels _almost_ alive, but not quite there. Compared to GTA, RDR and other staples of the genre, it's really hard to give much merit to CDPR on this front.

I don't think that Keanu is the reason for why CP 2077 is in the state it is, I have a strong feeling that somewhere down the line they switched directions internally and moved most of their developers to work on the standalone multiplayer.

CDPR is very much intended on releasing a standalone MP game in the Cyberpunk 2077, it's been confirmed by them multiple times and parts of it are already in the game client.

When they made that choice they had to essentially align the game mechanics to work in a GTA Online style multiplayer setting and a lot of the mechanics they showcased or advertised don't.

If you look at CP:2077 as a demo for Cyberpunk Online then everything makes sense, blaming it on "Keanu" doesn't nothing in the current story line would've prevented CDPR from having all those features they advertised, nothing but time and a strong single player focus which they clearly didn't had and both of these things are more easily explained by MP becoming the focus of the studio than Keanu being cast.

Especially when you see the CP 2077 books like the art of CP 2077 that show a ton of very early concept art focusing on Johnny. I think the overall story we got was pretty much there from fairly early on, and that's about what we got.

They run out of time and because they had to release on the older consoles Dec 2020 was their last chance, so what we got is the barebones game we got where every system feels like a placeholder, that doesn't have anything to do with the story direction has everything to do with the fact that they didn't had time to finish anything quite likely because they were working on the MP more than they should have.

Cyberpunk is anything but a complex game and that is the problem, it's a shell filled with placeholders there isn't anything complex about it, if there was people wouldn't have complaints.

Everything in this game is unfinished including the main story, this isn't an opinion it's an objective fact.

Last edited:
Same here. Really makes you wonder how much they changed when they got Keanu on board. I mean nothing definitively says they didn't have the game as it is planned from the start and were just waiting to cast their Silverhand but like they point out with the bit on the radio about Silverhand dying last year, it does seem like they changed direction 2 years ago. If that's true it explains so much.

To be fair if I was an exec of the game studio, not a dev but an exec, and I had an opportunity to get Keanu into my Cyberpunk game, not sure how you'd turn that down.
I think that is the issue, because we as players interested in the game as it is developed can only relate to whatever information the give us. And as you say Silverhand and Keanu weren't especially focused on in the first trailers or information, looking at the character sheet from back then Silverhand is just one among 3 options of a childhood hero. So if that were intended to have been important for the story or character, one can only assume that each option would have more or less equal influence on whatever it would be.

So maybe Keanu got hired and they had to build a story around him and just selected one of the 3 original options to be the role that Keanu should play, which might have resulted in a lot of changes being made to the story and missions etc. don't know. And maybe the other sections in the character sheet and characters weren't relevant anymore, because everything had to focus on him.
At least to me, it seems like that were the case and they probably ended up focusing so much on it, that they never really had time to fix the rest of the game and the idea of choices that should matter etc. never really got implemented. Because its hard to deny that this have been one of the main points that they have been highlighting throughout most of their marketing material up until release.

I think that is the issue, because we as players interested in the game as it is developed can only relate to whatever information the give us. And as you say Silverhand and Keanu weren't especially focused on in the first trailers or information, looking at the character sheet from back then Silverhand is just one among 3 options of a childhood hero. So if that were intended to have been important for the story or character, one can only assume that each option would have more or less equal influence on whatever it would be.

So maybe Keanu got hired and they had to build a story around him and just selected one of the 3 original options to be the role that Keanu should play, which might have resulted in a lot of changes being made to the story and missions etc. don't know. And maybe the other sections in the character sheet and characters weren't relevant anymore, because everything had to focus on him.
At least to me, it seems like that were the case and they probably ended up focusing so much on it, that they never really had time to fix the rest of the game and the idea of choices that should matter etc. never really got implemented. Because its hard to deny that this have been one of the main points that they have been highlighting throughout most of their marketing material up until release.

If you utilize the source material to inform narrative, Johnny Silverhand as a character was always there. Filling the role with Keanu's likeness and voice would not have changed the direction of the storyline imho.

I think the main-story narrative was relatively free-flowing.. Where things started to suffer was with the game world and the systems that CDPR chose for the player to experience night city. They very much used the Witcher point of interest model and maybe, just maybe that was not the right way to drive the lesser story arch narratives, eg how you interact with the fixers.

The Devs and the design team have tried to interpret the Cyberpunk board game nuances and best integrate them into a living, breathing world. Maybe they needed more actual facetime with the fixers, more focus on having a drink with a client etc. When they do this, it's very convincing. In the main storyline, which I have played countless times at this point, I genuinely felt whisked away into my characters shoes, unfortunately being yanked out of that surreal immersion by poor implementation of the next phase of the narrative.

Top Bottom