Full PC reset *minor spoilers*

+
So I'm experiencing a new problem with CP2077 where the game completely reboots my computer. I play the game and all of a sudden my screen just turns off and PC restarts itself. At first I thought it was a temperature issue but temp is just fine and so is the power. Initially I had this happen once or twice during about 30h of gameplay but now I'm at the quest where you inside the VDB's BBS and simply can't finnish that quest. I can go maybe 15min before the game and my computer crash but once I get to the point where I'm having the final talk with Johnny and Alt, the game just crashes and forces my PC to completely reboot.
Anybody else having this issue?
The problem is the game since my rig is working as it should and this is the only game that does this.
When I was freeroaming, things worked great and only had one crash issue during the quest Pyramid Song but now, I just can't complete the VDB quest.

My PC specs are:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
NVIDIA RTX 3080
32GB RAM
and all the drivers and other updates are up to date.

CDPR support can be reached here:

When I had comparable problems with other games, it was usually hardware/ventilation related.
So no idea, if they can really help you in that case....

Definitely try this first, if you haven't done it already:

If it was playing nicely, and only recently experiencing such problems, in my experience it's a hardware issue rather than software. Something is beginning to fail - perhaps RAM.

Seems to me like a gpu issue, if it was RAM, normal operations would have also made the system reboot at some point.

My suggestion is to run a Stress Test and identify if any hardware is failing. Testing GPU and CPU separately would be better.

This happened to me with Baldur's Gate 3 and I thought it was a problem with the game. Then loaded up Cyberpunk or any other challenging game - same thing. Turned out that my CPU cooler had died and needed to be replaced.

Would suggest monitoring your system temps as part of your testing.

I think its power draw. Have hade it happend a couple of times. If the gpu pulls above what its allowed too pull this generaly happends. Psu protects itself and resets. Either your not getting enough power trough your wall socket or your gpu pulls too much. Could also be a power spike issue. My gpu has small red diodes over the 3 power plugs on it. They start flashing if something goes on with power delivery. Not sure what brand you got so dunno if its present on your 3080.

If its a software issue you should be able too se it in crashlogs. Or in Eventviewer. If its a psu issue i dont think you will get any logs since it just switches off.

Last edited:
Initially I had this happen once or twice during about 30h of gameplay but now I'm at the quest where you inside the VDB's BBS and simply can't finnish that quest. I can go maybe 15min before the game and my computer crash but once I get to the point where I'm having the final talk with Johnny and Alt, the game just crashes and forces my PC to completely reboot.
If everything is o.k., this should not happen at all. It is possible that a crash has also damaged a savegame, so that this error now occurs at this point.

Add infos about power supply, RAM, RAM settings, case and cooling. Maybe there is something odd.

If it was playing nicely, and only recently experiencing such problems, in my experience it's a hardware issue rather than software. Something is beginning to fail - perhaps RAM.
Seems to me like a gpu issue, if it was RAM, normal operations would have also made the system reboot at some point.

My suggestion is to run a Stress Test and identify if any hardware is failing. Testing GPU and CPU separately would be better.
This happened to me with Baldur's Gate 3 and I thought it was a problem with the game. Then loaded up Cyberpunk or any other challenging game - same thing. Turned out that my CPU cooler had died and needed to be replaced.

Would suggest monitoring your system temps as part of your testing.
I think its power draw. Have hade it happend a couple of times. If the gpu pulls above what its allowed too pull this generaly happends. Psu protects itself and resets. Either your not getting enough power trough your wall socket or your gpu pulls too much. Could also be a power spike issue. My gpu has small red diodes over the 3 power plugs on it. They start flashing if something goes on with power delivery. Not sure what brand you got so dunno if its present on your 3080.

If its a software issue you should be able too se it in crashlogs. Or in Eventviewer. If its a psu issue i dont think you will get any logs since it just switches off.
If everything is o.k., this should not happen at all. It is possible that a crash has also damaged a savegame, so that this error now occurs at this point.

Add infos about power supply, RAM, RAM settings, case and cooling. Maybe there is something odd.
I really don't think my rig is the reason. Temperature for both CPU and GPU are well within normal limits and I tested by starting a completely fresh character and all was good. Played about 1h and all worked well. Then reloaded the save where I was talking to Alt with Johnny and boom. PC restarts itself. It has to have something to do with that quest itself because performance wise that is not hard on your rig. It's just a static space with three characters. It takes way more effort for your rig to run the freeroaming. So either I have broken save file or the quest itself has something seriously wrong. Last time I tried it, I just basically speedran through the quest so gametime was less than 15min and still the crash happened the moment I was talking to Alt with Johnny.

I'm going to keep playing this fresh character and see if/when I get more crashes like this and if they're a regular occurrence or just isolated cases, if they even happen at all. As for the former save file, I just deleted it completely now.

I was also testing the rig by playing Far Cry 6 with everything on max and no problems at all.

Add infos about power supply, RAM, RAM settings, case and cooling.
I have liquid cooling with fans all over and pc itself is pretty clean. No major dust.
Power is 800W 80+ Gold
I don't cooling is the issue since temp is quite normal and my fans aren't even blasting at full speed while playing the game. At most they're about ~60% capacity when things really heat up.

But we'll see. I will report here again if I experience more crashes like this at different locations as I continue this new playthrough.
But thank you all for your initial help :)

I really don't think my rig is the reason. Temperature for both CPU and GPU are well within normal limits and I tested by starting a completely fresh character and all was good. Played about 1h and all worked well. Then reloaded the save where I was talking to Alt with Johnny and boom. PC restarts itself. It has to have something to do with that quest itself because performance wise that is not hard on your rig. It's just a static space with three characters. It takes way more effort for your rig to run the freeroaming. So either I have broken save file or the quest itself has something seriously wrong. Last time I tried it, I just basically speedran through the quest so gametime was less than 15min and still the crash happened the moment I was talking to Alt with Johnny.

I'm going to keep playing this fresh character and see if/when I get more crashes like this and if they're a regular occurrence or just isolated cases, if they even happen at all. As for the former save file, I just deleted it completely now.

I was also testing the rig by playing Far Cry 6 with everything on max and no problems at all.

I have liquid cooling with fans all over and pc itself is pretty clean. No major dust.
Power is 800W 80+ Gold
I don't cooling is the issue since temp is quite normal and my fans aren't even blasting at full speed while playing the game. At most they're about ~60% capacity when things really heat up.

But we'll see. I will report here again if I experience more crashes like this at different locations as I continue this new playthrough.
But thank you all for your initial help :)
Might be the save file like you said, have you tryed reparing the game install? not running any mods? Never ran any mods in that save file? Thats kinda the issue with diagnosing something over forums ^^ cant really see the issue yourself and cant check anything you generaly would when troubleshooting. Anyways hope it works for the new playtrough!

have you tryed reparing the game install? not running any mods? Never ran any mods in that save file?
I tried the "Verify integrity of game files" like the first answer suggested but that was okay.
As for mods, I have only two and neither of those should have any effect on that quest in particular. One mod slightly alters the in game ads and billboards and the other one alters a couple of outfits.
But let's indeed hope it was just a glitch in the save files and this time all goes well. If the game runs smoothly up until that quest again, then there's no question about it where the issue is.
Post automatically merged:

Well, I spoke too soon and it did it again after about 15min I started playing again, so the quest is not the issue.
I'm going to have to try and reinstall the game entirely and take a look at my drivers.
Still don't think it's the temperature or the power since the cooling is working just fine and no other game does this.

Last edited:
Have you checked the error logs? If its game related it should leave a error log either in CDPRs error reporter or in event viewer.

Still don't think it's the temperature or the power since the cooling is working just fine and no other game does this.
Just thoughts from someone without real knowledge, maybe other games don't "stress" your hardware as much as Cyberpunk.
As for mods, I have only two and neither of those should have any effect on that quest in particular. One mod slightly alters the in game ads and billboards and the other one alters a couple of
Mods doen't need to be "related", "modified files" by mods can create issues somewhere completely unexpected :(

I tried the "Verify integrity of game files" like the first answer suggested but that was okay.
As for mods, I have only two and neither of those should have any effect on that quest in particular. One mod slightly alters the in game ads and billboards and the other one alters a couple of outfits.
But let's indeed hope it was just a glitch in the save files and this time all goes well. If the game runs smoothly up until that quest again, then there's no question about it where the issue is.

Well, I spoke too soon and it did it again after about 15min I started playing again, so the quest is not the issue.
I'm going to have to try and reinstall the game entirely and take a look at my drivers.
Why don't you run benchmark programs that are made to stress your CPU 100% (like Cinebench) and GPU (3dmark, but forgot what it's free mode was good for so you might have to use another program) while running a program to monitor your temperature?
For RAM...windows had some command to test the ram, but I forgot what it was called or how to access:D
I remember I had restarts in Guild wars 2 and it turned it was my ram (as far as I know the ram have sectors so it can work perfectly fine for the rest of the time).
Anyway not an expert or something so do a heavy google research first:)

DC9V

Forum veteran
If I may add my two cents....
  1. Maybe one of your PCIe cables came loose, and now you're getting voltage spikes on one of the 12V lanes. Make sure they're both connected properly on dedicated PSU lanes.

2. Completely uninstall all your mods and again verify or even reinstall the game, not only because mods can actually cause issues, but also because you won't receive official support otherwise.

3. In case you're running tight DRAM timings, consider using more safe timings in order to prevent data corruption.

I think now that the actual problem is the temperature. After playing Far Cry 6 about 2h today, I had the same thing happen so that rules out CP2077 beign the fault. I'm now going to try out disabling automatic cooling and just manually crank it up to max and see how that works.
It shows the temperature as normal but it has a short spike at the CPU which causes it.

Well, it's not a temperature issue either. I tested it and kept checking the temperature and both CPU and GPU remained at steady 60-65°C constantly but still after like 10 minutes, the restart issue happened.
I guess the next fault point is power but don't really know what to do with that... Maybe I need to take the computer to a tech expert and see what's up.

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
I think now that the actual problem is the temperature. After playing Far Cry 6 about 2h today, I had the same thing happen so that rules out CP2077 beign the fault. I'm now going to try out disabling automatic cooling and just manually crank it up to max and see how that works.
It shows the temperature as normal but it has a short spike at the CPU which causes it.
If your CPU temp is too high, you might also wanna check your DRAM and ChipSet temps. On some older boards (x570 included) the chipset can get even hotter than the CPU.

In case you need recommendations, I'm using HwInfo for several years now without any difficulties.
Here's the direct download link to the latest version 7.24. If it does cause issues, try the beta version.
HwInfoUWU.png

Well, it's not a temperature issue either. I tested it and kept checking the temperature and both CPU and GPU remained at steady 60-65°C constantly but still after like 10 minutes, the restart issue happened.
I guess the next fault point is power but don't really know what to do with that... Maybe I need to take the computer to a tech expert and see what's up.
Like I said, check the cables. :) I know it sounds too obvious but who knows, it might solve all of your problems.

Like I said, check the cables. :) I know it sounds too obvious but who knows, it might solve all of your problems.
I did, the cables are fine. I'm starting to suspect that the PSU itself is malfunctioning. Also if a cable was loose, that would simply not give any power.
I tried different methods and settings adjustments but nothing works.
When I'm using the computer just for surfing the net and watching youtube, all is well but gaming is getting difficult so maybe the PSU can't handle the higher power needs due to some fault in it. The PSU is 800W so it should be enough but if it's not giving 100%, that might explain it.
If your CPU temp is too high, you might also wanna check your DRAM and ChipSet temps. On some older boards (x570 included) the chipset can get even hotter than the CPU.
Thanks. I did check it out and all the temps seem normal. Like I said, I really don't think it's a temperature issue since my rig has a really powerful cooling. Prime suspect now is the PSU itself.

Which power supply do you use exactly? With these components, a Seasonic PX 750 or 850 would be my recommendation.

Power supplies with inferior quality often have difficulties with fast and strong load changes. A simple 800W-Label isn´t enough.

Which power supply do you use exactly? With these components, a Seasonic PX 750 or 850 would be my recommendation.

Power supplies with inferior quality often have difficulties with fast and strong load changes. A simple 800W-Label isn´t enough.
This! Alot of people sadly skimp on the PSU when they absolutly should not. Its probably the most important part, since without it nothing will work. I allways over buy on it since id rather have too much then too little. Gold or platinum and a good brand is also important.

Depending on what 3080 you have too it can pull quite a bit of watts/volts. Also it can switch pretty fast. My 3090 with oc pulls 480w with the power limit cranked. sadly its not just as simple as buy the recomended wattage. Most PSU has an efficiancy rating too.

If your in the US you might have issue with the wall outlet too since most have 110v (lower max wattage pull from the outlet, need less stuff connected too the same circut) Anyways it can be really hard too diagnose these kinda issues.

Something also to consider, is some powersupplies also have 2 settings one in which rails have limited draw and other which have full draw on all rails. You also have to make sure your GPU is pulling off two different source ports on the PS instead of trying to use one wire from the PS to the GPU. Make sure your aren't using anything but your GPU on the two or three feeds to it as your PSU may not have enough power output on a max load to handle it otherwise.

Also you need to look at the age of your PSU along with the quality. If the PSU is a few years old, and is close to max use, then it just may be that the PSU can't put out enough power anymore due to degradation aka old age.

Also of note, when your system shuts down, 99.99% of the time it will be hardware as modern Operating systems are designed to recover or maybe lock up from program crashes. A system shutdown is something in the system failing and the hardware is shutting off to protect itself.

Top Bottom