Full Screen Flickering Witcher 3:

+
Full Screen Flickering Witcher 3:

No matter what settings, I get full screen white flashing on my screen. Occurs often in dense forests. Does not happen often inside. Latest nvidia drivers.

Specs:
CPU: 5820k @ 4.4ghz
GPUS: 2x 780ti's
RAM: 16 gig DDR4 2400mhz
Resolution: 2560x1440
Game settings: All Max except high shadows, Vsync off, Hairworks max, Framerate is fine, just flashing in full screen.

The game is unplayable for me like this. Is there a solution or will it have to be patched>?I can run other demanding games fine maxed with no issues (Crysis 3, GTA 5 maxed out, Metro LL, etc).

Could you post some screens, or a short video (if possible), to clearly show the problem you're encountering?.

If I can get a look at it, I might be able to determine a likely cause for it.

Edit: some basic checks you can make;
  • To eliminate the possibility of SLI issues. Can you disable SLI, and test if the problem persists.
  • Ensure you're not trying to force antialiasing from the NV control panel (including transparency aa) Set them to app controlled / off.
  • If you're using GOG Galaxy, or Steam, can you use it to verify your game's cache / files.
  • If you want to be thorough, try uninstalling your nvidia driver packages, and reinstalling them again fresh.

Last edited:
Asmodean thanks for the reply. After going through all of those suggestions you gave, I realized screenshots and video was not capturing the issue. I believe its the monitor. When I switch to another monitor the issue is gone, but when using my HP Envy 32 inch I get the flickering. Its 2560x1440 60 Hz. Tried various types of cables, voer display port or HDMI, does not fix the issue.

I've never seen this occur, Why would a game cause a monitor to freak out like this?

Try settings your frames in game to unlimited for SLI
Make sure shadow play is off
Make sure both cards are being used if not force them in the control panel profile.

Tried those RedBehrend :(

Running the game in windowed mode or on another monitor fixes it, but I really dont want that to be the solution. My main monitor is 2560x1440 and want to play the game at that resolution :(

Tried those RedBehrend :(

Running the game in windowed mode or on another monitor fixes it, but I really dont want that to be the solution. My main monitor is 2560x1440 and want to play the game at that resolution :(

I would send them a support report, sounds like it deals with the resolution if the other monitor doesn't do it.

A friend of mine had a weird issue with a "grid" like visuals on screen and thought that his monitor was faulty, but then he realized that for some reason there was a "scale" option to 10% in the driver settings. Display scaling options can mess up the image, underscan or overscan. Not sure if that is related to your issue, but worth looking into...

Did a little more tweaking, playing a long amount of time to see if tests worked:

-Flickering occurs on HP Envy 2560x1440 monitor, but does not occur when running in windowed mode, or on other monitors (lesser resolutions)

POST PROCESSING:
For some reason, when in full screen at that resolution, when motion blur, blur and sharpening are OFF the problem for the most part goes away, maybe occuring once every 15 minutes (compared to constantly).

So in conclusion, post process effects at 2560x1440 Fullscreen seem to be the cause of the issue for me, and my system (2x 780ti's). I would like to use sharpening its a shame I cant at the moment. This really needs to get fixed :(

So I got the same problem it looks alot like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFN5gy2BY_w, but not so much and is only noticeable on dark background.
Also it happens only when I'm in some game some more some less. I wasn't even noticing it before, but now I see Witcher 3, Battlefield 4 and Farcry 4 also have, but not so much as Witcher.

I have 970, Win 7, i5 2500K, latest drivers.
I already tried to play with post processing settings, and installed fresh drivers.

Any ideas ?

No matter what settings, I get full screen white flashing on my screen. Occurs often in dense forests. Does not happen often inside. Latest nvidia drivers.

Specs:
CPU: 5820k @ 4.4ghz
GPUS: 2x 780ti's
RAM: 16 gig DDR4 2400mhz
Resolution: 2560x1440
Game settings: All Max except high shadows, Vsync off, Hairworks max, Framerate is fine, just flashing in full screen.

The game is unplayable for me like this. Is there a solution or will it have to be patched>?I can run other demanding games fine maxed with no issues (Crysis 3, GTA 5 maxed out, Metro LL, etc).

Hey there,

I think this is some 780TI issue, i have same problem, white vertical stripes...

specs:
i7-4770K @ 4.3 , 32gb ram
GPU: 1x 780ti , GV-N78TOC-3GD bios F4
RAM: 32gb DDR3 XMP-1600
Resolution: 1920x1080 ( LG LCD TV 32'' )
Game settings: all max settings but "green" distance high...
(and yes, other games works fine with my configuration)

and this is enoying and true NOT PLAYABLE, that looks like shaders problem or st like that, and came up with patch 1.04
Do you have Gigabyte version ? That card is "broken by fabric overclock" in 3dmark 2011 i have blue blinks in some test, people give it on warranty, and came up with
bios retacted to lower clocks, FUNNY VENDOR,
When my gigabyte motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H brokedown, the FIX-IT :| not exchange ;/

What vendor of GPU you have ? drivers 353.06?

P.s. i found it 3 min after typing this post :)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...r-3-flashing-flickering-looks-like-a-stroke-/

maybe helps

Last edited:
Hey there,

I think this is some 780TI issue, i have same problem, white vertical stripes...

specs:
i7-4770K @ 4.3 , 32gb ram
GPU: 1x 780ti , GV-N78TOC-3GD bios F4
RAM: 32gb DDR3 XMP-1600
Resolution: 1920x1080 ( LG LCD TV 32'' )
Game settings: all max settings but "green" distance high...
(and yes, other games works fine with my configuration)

and this is enoying and true NOT PLAYABLE, that looks like shaders problem or st like that, and came up with patch 1.04
Do you have Gigabyte version ? That card is "broken by fabric overclock" in 3dmark 2011 i have blue blinks in some test, people give it on warranty, and came up with
bios retacted to lower clocks, FUNNY VENDOR,
When my gigabyte motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H brokedown, the FIX-IT :| not exchange ;/

What vendor of GPU you have ? drivers 353.06?

P.s. i found it 3 min after typing this post :)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...r-3-flashing-flickering-looks-like-a-stroke-/

maybe helps

You might just be baby jesus in golden gaming manger. I was on intel i3 getting 45 fps on mixed high and ultra settings 1080p since i blew up my 4790k following overclockers dream of 5ghz, and just switched back to my amd rig 8350 at 4.8ghz and 3 670s FTW 2gbs stock clocks. ( set to 2 card sli and 1 physX for witcher ) and had a 40 fps drop. both rigs set the same with same settings or so i thought.

I think this may be my issue. For some reason i didnt have any issues like this before but am hoping with all the tips and tricks here I'll be able to: 1. get witcher to use sli, ( bf4 running at 110 currently ) and 2. Be able to run in full screen mode without horrible flickering and studdering.

I will report back once Ive gone thru these steps. So far Ive reinstalled the game twice, fresh isntall of windows and delete and fresh install of most recent Nvidia driver. :cheers:

Sorry for the crazy post Im at work and supposed to be off these forums. the man is watching me.

Okay, I'm bringing this thread back from the dead to breathe in new life. I have no clue on what's going on because now this flickering is happening to me. Current nVidia driver is 385.28 updated on Aug 14th 2017. Current geForce Experience is 3.9.0.61. updated today (the 21st).

I am suspecting that it is either of those, or both, because last week this just started. Actually IDK when this started, I've been busy at work and haven't played for a few days.

And the only reason I am posting this is to let PC Witcher players (new & old) that this flickering has returned.

My GPU is a geForce GTX960 4Gb

All the ones that had this problem that I saw on a Google search were for 760 and 1080 GPUs. Most had dual GPUs running SLI and had this problem. I only have one and this problem is going again. I'm going to revert to a older version on both to see what happens. I don't believe it is the g-sync, I turned it off using nVidia Profile Inspector, turning it off both globally and Witcher 3 specific and it is still happening. I have everything in-game set to low, still happening.

Again, I am only posting this because the flickering is back (at least for me), and to help others gain awareness to this issue. I will post an update if reverting to an older version works.

BadWolf

UPDATE:

That was not it. Now I have to go through each texture mod to see if it was any of them. Will give another update.

New Update:

I found out what it was, it had nothing to do with nVidia. It turns out that the new mod: Better Containers does not like Auto Loot. There were no conflicts when using Script Merger, so I didn't think anything about it, until I looked in my mods folder. Then that started me thinking that Auto Loot was trying to open the containers in the area. Problem solved, so if anyone has this problem & has both the above mods, that's the reason for the flickering.

Last edited:
Is this the checkered white pattern you see in tree foliage at certain angles? Or its completely white screen? For the checkered pattern I think its related to the way the game handles texture transparency for performance

Top Bottom