Future update suggestion: Mod Browser for Consoles

+
As the title suggests, I think this would be an excellent addition to an already great game. With the future of this game being uncertain, outside of what the developers contribute, a Mod Browser and New Game+ would add infinite replay-ability to Cyberpunk 2077...on consoles.

Legend has it Hanako is still waiting at Embers. At least thats true for me, because I refuse to finish the game until CDPR give us a "good" ending. Which coincidentally kills replayability for me.

On a more serious note, modding is something that is complicated. It usually requires you to download files, then place them in the game's install location on the hard drive. Of course you can't do this on a console because of the restrictions in place.

What usually happens is that Game Developers usually make some modding tools for Gamers to download, and then leave the community to do what it wants with them (develop, and distribute whatever mods). In the case of a console however, the Game Developers have to develop modding support for their game. This costs money on the developer's end, and is not something that every developer can/wants to support.

So I wouldn't hold my breath for console mod support, just buy a PC. New game+ on the other hand is a posibility.

Mods on console ?
I wouldn't count on it whatever the game, except on Bethesda's ones. Knowing that as far as I know, there are only two games which support and offer mods on consoles and both come from Bethesda (FO4 and Skyrim). I suppose the next one will also support mods, but as the previous ones, it will probably be very limited.
However, NG+ will probably be released as free DLC like for TW3 :)

As the title suggests, I think this would be an excellent addition to an already great game. With the future of this game being uncertain, outside of what the developers contribute, a Mod Browser and New Game+ would add infinite replay-ability to Cyberpunk 2077...on consoles.
Ask a forum moderator to move this thread to SUGGESTIONS for the developers to consider.

Mods on console ?
I wouldn't count on it whatever the game, except on Bethesda's ones. Knowing that as far as I know, there are only two games which support and offer mods on consoles and both come from Bethesda (FO4 and Skyrim). I suppose the next one will also support mods, but as the previous ones, it will probably be very limited.
However, NG+ will probably be released as free DLC like for TW3 :)

On Playstation, they can only use in-game assets.

On Playstation, they can only use in-game assets.
The worst I think (on playstation or xbox), it's there is no official "rules" from microsoft or Sony... So they can reject any mod without official reason, nor need to explain "why" the mod was refused. So even by following exactly the "understanding" rules provided by Bethesda, a modder can't be sure that his mod will be accepted and available (and his work turned into "a waste of time"...) :(
Bethesda.net Modding Guidelines for Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4
Examples of why Mods are removed:
  • Do not upload mods featuring nude or sexually explicit material.
  • Do not upload mods featuring violent acts towards children.
  • Do not upload mods that feature real world religious/political content. Content specific to game content is admissible.
  • Do not upload mods that include hate speech, malicious content, or content that slanders/harasses other members.
  • Do not upload mods that include private information.
Specifics to Sony (don't know about Xbox):
Understanding SONY restrictions on PS4 mods - things to know before you make a request
The SONY block on external assets in free community mods covers:
  • New models (so any shape that doesn't already exist in the game files whether that's weapons, armor, body etc)
  • Altered models (to add snap points, to remove part of a model like the arm-piece of Kellogg's armor etc)
  • New color patterns (recolors of existing patterns etc)
  • New .bgsm 'linkage' files to enable high quality material swaps (aka color swaps) linking an item model to an existing color pattern for another item in a way that retains the fine details and shape of the model.
  • New scripts (which run in game either via a pipboy menu, an onscreen toggle, or just in the background and change the way certain parts of the game function)
  • New Precombined Environment data (which is a key component of the game optimization to reduce processor load on weak hardware like consoles)
  • New Long Distance View data
  • New Sound Files
----------------
Why did Bethesda block these?
Bethesda didn't - the reason mods for XB1 are different than those for PS4 is due to the policies and restrictions SONY put in place. Having different rules for different platforms is not in either Bethesda's or Author's benefit and creates more work and cost to maintain.
Why did SONY block these?
SONY has never addressed this publicly. For whatever reason they don't seem to feel that customers who've purchased consoles from them should receive an official explanation.

As @LeKill3rFou and @ciorex touched upon. Mods on consoles isn't as simple as simply making it happen.

More specifically it requires working closely with Microsoft and Sony for a multitude of reasons and their rules are especially stringent. It would mean throwing a lot more money into the game and, more importantly, towards developing proper modding tools for an engine CDPR is moving away from.

As it stands there aren't even proper modding tools on, or at least anything worthy of that name, available even for PC modding.

I wish y'all could get mods the same way we PC players do but so far only Bethesda has taken that leap and in a severely limited fashion compared to what is available on PC.

Mod support on console isn't happening. There is no doubt about that. If New Game+ happens, we'll all get it though.

Setting aside "rules & maturity ratings" and any other legal obstacles, modding isn't all that complicated. If the game supports mods, which Cyberpunk 2077 already does, it's just a matter of downloading the assets and making sure they're placed in the appropriate destination. So, in the case of Cyberpunk 2077, all they're lacking is the console browser and a server to host the mods. I think it IS doable. Whether or not this will happen...well, I can wish, can't I?

Setting aside "rules & maturity ratings" and any other legal obstacles, modding isn't all that complicated. If the game supports mods, which Cyberpunk 2077 already does, it's just a matter of downloading the assets and making sure they're placed in the appropriate destination. So, in the case of Cyberpunk 2077, all they're lacking is the console browser and a server to host the mods. I think it IS doable. Whether or not this will happen...well, I can wish, can't I?
In fact, knowing that ONLY two games have ever supported mods on consoles (from my memories, there is no other ones since more than 20 years on xbox) could mean that it's not very easy (in fact, almost impossible). And I guess "mainly" because Microsoft and Sony don't care about mods and don't really want mods on their platforms...

So you can hope to see mods on console (outside of Bethesda games), but I guess you have better chance to win a lottery :D

Ofc you can wish, hope is humanity's first and most powerful drug. Still I think its simpler, although admittedly not cheaper, just to buy a PC, just sayin. The PC master race is awalys happy to welcome another one into our ranks.

The issue as I understand it is that the assets have to be "official" for Sony to allow them. With the bethesda mods available on console they are either modified existing assets (new colours etc) or slightly tweaked mechanics the assets on the "anniversary edition" of skyrim effectively became official DLC. CDPR or the mod authors would have to pay for Sony Accreditation for their mods (I don't imagine that's cheap) for them to be released. I was playing fallout 4 when the mods were announced and I was super excited, but they weren't as impressive once they were released because they had to pass through Sony's filter first.

Without going more into how it wouldn't happen because of SONY/MS. That is such a vast oversimplification of what modding is.

CP2077 doesn't exactly support mods. At least, not anything with any degree of complexity without other mods. CET, RED4ext and redscript are the most basic of what you need to get more complex mods working. Seamless integration of new content is absolutely impossible so far without those. That's just the basics at this point. There are plenty more archives and frameworks around to get other mods working. These same mods wouldn't necessarily work right out the gate on a console and would most likely require extensive work to work with consoles. Especially with so many mods having dependencies.

It's like saying Dragon Age Inquisition supports mods because there are a few thousands mods for it out there. No, it doesn't. It was never meant to allow mods. PC users simply figured out a way of doing it because we have greater access to game files and people really wanted to mod it. This has been a fact of modding forever.

CDPR knew modding would happen but the game was never built for it.

Modding on consoles for Bethesda's recent titles works as well as it does because Bethesda builds it's games from the ground up with modding in mind. CP2077 wasn't.

Is it doable? Absolutely. That's the beauty of modern gaming, it's all possible. CDPR could literally re-write the entire game and send it to us as an update. Modding on consoles would require far more than a simple console browser and a place to host the mods though and that's work I am 200% certain CDPR won't invest in.

Still, sure, you're allowed to dream of course but no one should realistically expect that. At this point I'm fairly certain we'll never actually get decent modding tools to begin with.

It's not going to happen. As far as I know, the number of games that Sony officially allows to be modded can be counted on one hand, with fingers left over. Maybe Microsoft will drift more toward console mod support, but unless Sony get's on board, I can't see many cross-platform developers even bothering to try. Bethesda showed what a mess it can be. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be great. I'm just saying that the barriers are too high to justify the investment; particularly for a game that seems to be already approaching the end of its development cycle.

What would be your modifications that you absolutely want to have in it?
Maybe we could vote here in the forum what we absolutely want to have in the game, so that CDPR programs the next DLC or update or integrated into the game, instead of wanting to have MODs.

My only relevant wish would be flying vehicles and the mono-rail.

If most here have this my wish too, we could e.g. a request here to CDPR with all forum members present in the sense of a petition - to enforce that.

What do you think of this?
Or does that already exist?

The question is not that its doable. It IS.
It hinges ENTIRELY on the willingness of both Microsoft (for Xbox) and Sony (PS)
And especially Sony have stated they do NOT accept external assets to be installed on their console device. And I do not want to know what Bethesda had to do to make them support mods in the first place. But I bet you there's a deal behind that which is very attractive for Sony businesswise.
Thats also the reason why many mods for Fallout 4 and Skyrim are not available for Playstation. Bethesda has found a way around this via the creation club to an extend. But casually-made mods with external textures for example... no way in hell Sony will allow as it stands.

It's not for consoles, but what are the odds? Checkout the latest patch, 1.6. Mod support for the PC.

Still keeping my fingers crossed!
Post automatically merged:

It's not about a specific mod, it's about having endless opportunities to expand an already great game, long after the developer discontinues support. It will allow players to breathe new life into the game!

I love the realistic pessimism; but really with consoles and how they're evolving into PC's, cross platform saves and multiplayer, I think mod support for consoles isn't that far off. If Bethesda can do it....

I love the realistic pessimism; but really with consoles and how they're evolving into PC's, cross platform saves and multiplayer, I think mod support for consoles isn't that far off. If Bethesda can do it....
Not pessimist, rather realist :)
I'm on console, I'm not against mods (on the contrary), but since I play on console (more than 25 years), I ended to the conclusion that "mods on console" not gonna happen, never...
Bethesda is the only studio who ever managed to provide a mod support on console, especially because their games are designed around modding (the job was almost done).

Top Bottom