[FX 8350, GTX 970] I completely fixed my crashing issue + get a completely stable 60 FPS. ~20 hours with zero crashes

+
[FX 8350, GTX 970] I completely fixed my crashing issue + get a completely stable 60 FPS. ~20 hours with zero crashes

I'm cross posting my reddit post. Sorry if there are any formatting issues.

Okay so since I started playing on Monday night my game has been plagued with crashes and freezes. I was getting 2 different kinds. The first involved the game window minimizing and then closing by itself. The second was a freeze; the game window was still up but the picture was frozen...game still running according to the sounds that kept playing (had to CTRL ALT Delete and kill the app)

I did a few different things to make my game stop crashing and run better.
Minimizing type of crash - Used to perform a clean install of the GTA V drivers (350.12). This got rid of this kind of crash completely. Unfortunately, the freezing was still there.
Freezing type of crash - I believe underclocking my card fixed this. I underclocked to -20 on the core and memory clocks via MSI Afterburner.
Nvidia Control Panel Tweaks -

• I turned off in game AA and turned on FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel (this is mostly for performance, but I can't rule out that it didn't help the crashes.)
  • Maximum Prerendered Frames = 1
  • Power Management Mode = Prefer Maximum Performance
  • Vertical Sync - Adaptive
Game Settings -

• VSync - Off
  • Max Frames Per Second - Unlimited
  • Display Mode - Full Screen
  • Nvidia Hairworks - Off
  • Number of Background Characters - Ultra
  • Shadow Quality - Low (can't really notice a difference in quality of shadows to justify leaving this on Ultra, after all I want really stable 60 FPS)
  • Terrain Quality - Ultra
  • Water Quality - High
  • Grass Density - High
  • Texture Quality - Ultra
  • Foliage Visibility Range - High
  • Detail Level - Ultra
  • Hardware Cursor - Off (I use a controller so I don't even know what this does. I assume you could leave it on if you need it)
Post Processing -

• Motion Blur - On
  • Blur - On
  • Anti Aliasing - Off (we turned on FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel)
  • Bloom - On
  • Sharpening - Off
  • Ambient Occlusion - SSAO
  • Depth of Field - Off
  • Chromatic Aberration - On
  • Vignetting - Off
  • Light Shafts - On

I've been playing for over 20 hours with 0 crashes. I WAS getting crashes every 10-30 minutes before I did this.
I hope this helps guys. I know how frustrating waiting for devs to fix something like this can be.

---------- Updated at 06:41 AM ----------

*****I used the program "DDU" to do a clean driver install.

---------- Updated at 06:46 AM ----------

Also with these setting I've been ALL over Velen. I have NEVER seen my framerate drop below 57. Even then it's only for a split second and that only happened in Novigrad.

I HIGHLY recommend these graphics settings. I haven't had a game run this well since Dark Souls II

I have a question about the maximum pre-rendered frames. I have mine set to 4, is that overkill or is there a noticeable performance increase?

Top Bottom