game always freezes when I meet Jackie at Afterlife v 1.31 and v 1.5(1)

+
When Jackie finishes the sentence about feeling as though he is "straight up lyin" the screen freezes and the sound goes for a few more seconds and I have to start Task Manager in order to quit out of the game. No CTD and no "Flatlined" message. I hope someone knows a fix because I have not been able to play beyond this point for the last 10 days or so. I have tried reinstalling, deleting all of my saves and starting over, and I am currently reinstalling to a different SSD. It feels like the kind of error one used to experience while playing a game on a failing hard disk, or a disk with a damaged sector, despite it being installed to a Samsung 970 Pro. I have tried playing the game without any mods, with mods and I ran the game with Antivirus disabled, and Firewall disabled. I'm stumped! After playing CP for so many 100s of hours even when it was at its buggiest, I'm gonna feel awfully sad If I can't get it to work now that it is in such a better state! Gonna open a ticket now, but I would be genuinely grateful for any help, Thanks!

Just a question, have you try on a save (1.51) on which there have never been any active mods. Because sadly, it could be mod datas who could remains in your save files and cause this issue :(

Thanks for reply! This problem has occurred with and without mods. I just removed CP and reinstalled on different SSD and this got me past the old crash point. But it only bought me a few minutes of playtime. Now it crashes after we get in the Delamain... same place 3 different times! To be clear, I can play for as many or as few hours as I like without a single hitch before the crash point. Just weird that it seems to develop a problem at a particular place in the game past which I am unable to continue. No errors or probs in any game or mod logs. I happen to be building a new PC and I may just wait til it is up and running to try CP2077 again. Hopefully the problem is in my current rig. Thanks for the suggestion!

When Jackie finishes the sentence about feeling as though he is "straight up lyin" the screen freezes and the sound goes for a few more seconds and I have to start Task Manager in order to quit out of the game. No CTD and no "Flatlined" message. I hope someone knows a fix because I have not been able to play beyond this point for the last 10 days or so. I have tried reinstalling, deleting all of my saves and starting over, and I am currently reinstalling to a different SSD. It feels like the kind of error one used to experience while playing a game on a failing hard disk, or a disk with a damaged sector, despite it being installed to a Samsung 970 Pro. I have tried playing the game without any mods, with mods and I ran the game with Antivirus disabled, and Firewall disabled. I'm stumped! After playing CP for so many 100s of hours even when it was at its buggiest, I'm gonna feel awfully sad If I can't get it to work now that it is in such a better state! Gonna open a ticket now, but I would be genuinely grateful for any help, Thanks!
Experience this as well. Tried several game saves. No luck.
Will you tell which mods you used up to this point?

And something else, when coming out of the factory, did Jackie slide back inside? I had to use a mod to go through the wall to interact with him to complete that job.

But it only bought me a few minutes of playtime. Now it crashes after we get in the Delamain... same place 3 different times!
Exactly the same for me. It's not your system. This time it's for sure the game.

It freezes up the moment Delamain reverses. It seems to be link to the character's position on the map than in what direction V is looking. Inside Afterlife it plays fine, but once in front of the entrance it freezes up.

If only you could safe while inside Del, like that you could progress the game to get away from there.

hey Bartinga, I cant't tell you exactly how but I got past the predictable freezing spot. I stripped away mods and eliminated background processes to an even greater degree than is my usual. I have my OS (W10 BTW) tuned up the way most of us probably do and I have always run CP2077 with background stuff closed. But this stupid freakin freeze dimension that now exists just outside the Afterlife pissed me off and I just removed every mod, ran my CPU, RAM, GPU without OC, turned off MalwareBytes, W10 Firewall, did a diagnostic startup (minimal drivers and services) and finally got past whatever the f*%! it is that haunts that particular place and time in the game. I had also forgotten about the Nvidia sound drivers that get installed when you update your GPU drivers using express, and I think that disabling the Nahimic BS might have been important to finally avoiding the freeze. So with my game completely virgin, and after using DDU to remove and install GPU drivers plus my OS running as skinny as possible... I slipped past the freeze demon. Of course now I have begun a new game in order to sink my teeth into the newest iteration of CyberMod (formerly Immersive Roleplay) by the great Donk as well as E3rokk's unbelievable CVO and Car Mod shop where you can pro-tune your cars n bikes, and of course Scissor's gift of vehicle combat and upcoming re-imagination of his transformative FGR mod! How could I not start a new game? But I fully expect to have my enjoyment of the game and all these mods frozen then killed once I meet Jackie outside the Afterlife... again!?! I don't know what it is about my system or yours that opens us up to this s*%!, but I wish someone smarter than me would figure it out and let us know! Cuz it has been 3 version updates of the game and even clean reinstalling the game on a different SSD hasn't done a damn thing. Sorry for the long ass rant... lil bit fed up, Good luck!

hey Bartinga, I cant't tell you exactly how but I got past the predictable freezing spot. I stripped away mods and eliminated background processes to an even greater degree than is my usual. I have my OS (W10 BTW) tuned up the way most of us probably do and I have always run CP2077 with background stuff closed. But this stupid freakin freeze dimension that now exists just outside the Afterlife pissed me off and I just removed every mod, ran my CPU, RAM, GPU without OC, turned off MalwareBytes, W10 Firewall, did a diagnostic startup (minimal drivers and services) and finally got past whatever the f*%! it is that haunts that particular place and time in the game. I had also forgotten about the Nvidia sound drivers that get installed when you update your GPU drivers using express, and I think that disabling the Nahimic BS might have been important to finally avoiding the freeze. So with my game completely virgin, and after using DDU to remove and install GPU drivers plus my OS running as skinny as possible... I slipped past the freeze demon. Of course now I have begun a new game in order to sink my teeth into the newest iteration of CyberMod (formerly Immersive Roleplay) by the great Donk as well as E3rokk's unbelievable CVO and Car Mod shop where you can pro-tune your cars n bikes, and of course Scissor's gift of vehicle combat and upcoming re-imagination of his transformative FGR mod! How could I not start a new game? But I fully expect to have my enjoyment of the game and all these mods frozen then killed once I meet Jackie outside the Afterlife... again!?! I don't know what it is about my system or yours that opens us up to this s*%!, but I wish someone smarter than me would figure it out and let us know! Cuz it has been 3 version updates of the game and even clean reinstalling the game on a different SSD hasn't done a damn thing. Sorry for the long ass rant... lil bit fed up, Good luck!
Hey Damon,

Hope you feel a little better. Glad you got passed the freezing. I'm still stuck.

Am suspicious this freezing purely being related to a particular location concerning the camera. I've tried passing it using the Freefly mod, which enables you to go through walls. It helped me before when Jackie slided back in the factory. Unfortunately it didn't work because the camera went too far from the cap which forced the game to reload to the point when Del reverses.

Am going to try moving the camera away from the location of freezing with the Third person mod next. have a good feeling that WILL work. Will notify the results.

In the meantime, please consider to report this freezing anomaly, and all you have done to surpass it, (again) to Support, as we two seem to be the only ones suffering from this. Else, it'll never be eventually fixed. You can use the link below.

Post automatically merged:

Boy oh boy oh boy, am I a gonk. Found out the cause.

So, I tried zooming away the camera with the Third person mod from the freeze point which didn't work. Then I tried to use both the Freefly mod which, once inside the cab, it moves the entire cab away from there. But every time when the cab comes in motion, the game reloads the scene only for it again to freeze.

I then removed some cosmetic mods from Claire, hoping that would clear it. The game froze once again. Running out of options, I then decided to go through those mod's comments that gave the most problems in the past. The number one mod that gave the most trouble in the past... was... with all due respect for the modder...
Cyber Engine Tweaks.
It was a direct hit. This is a sticky from the mod author that I had seen already.
24 February 2022, 12:12PM
Known crash issue. If you speak to jackie in front of the afterlife in act one, the game will freeze during the conversation if you have the minimap flicker option turned on, as well as the disable boundary teleport. Then again when leaving the afterlife in the cab. So disable those options if you don't want your game to freeze.

Yes, I know. Should jump straight off a gonking megatower. Anyway, both our games play now. Don't bother reporting this to Support, as it undoubtedly is a mod-related issue. Enjoy your game. :) (y)

Last edited:
lol! you think that your a gonk... soon as I read your post i remembered reading the same damn thing and I'd say that the fact that I managed to forget it makes me the bigger dope lol! When I posted before I hoped to list all of the ways I tried to fix the freeze hoping it would help, yet forgot the most important one.... sorry about that! Getting old should really be outlawed, I'm telling ya! However, I do want to warn you that I still experienced freezing even after I disabled both options. But it wasn't automatic. I reloaded saved games 2 or 3 times before I got past the freeze spot. But I was finally able to get passed it and tested it later a couple of times and it worked fine. Happy that you found the way through, have fun!

lol! you think that your a gonk... soon as I read your post i remembered reading the same damn thing and I'd say that the fact that I managed to forget it makes me the bigger dope lol! When I posted before I hoped to list all of the ways I tried to fix the freeze hoping it would help, yet forgot the most important one.... sorry about that! Getting old should really be outlawed, I'm telling ya! However, I do want to warn you that I still experienced freezing even after I disabled both options. But it wasn't automatic. I reloaded saved games 2 or 3 times before I got past the freeze spot. But I was finally able to get passed it and tested it later a couple of times and it worked fine. Happy that you found the way through, have fun!
Haha, well at least we're the only two gonks who forgot, hahaha.

The reason I think why it still froze despite the two features being disabled, was most probably because of the brand new feature called, "Disable Dead Key-bindings". I had not seen that one before and it was selected. Think it's "on" by default, because I never selected it. The game still froze on my part while the boundary teleport and minimap flicker were both disabled.

No sooner when I disabled the "Disable Dead Key-bindings", did the freezing seize.

But all this does point out how extremely difficult it must be for CDPR to cope with all these issues, as none of them make any sense. I mean, what the hell does the boundary teleport have anything to do with any job or gig, and or with any other location on the map and on what time?

It's like bringing your real life car in for repairs saying, "Yeah there's a weird noise coming from the exhaust pipe", and moments later the mechanic calls to tell you, "Your car is ready. The weird noise was caused by a electrical fault in the right outside mirror."

Am now in Act 2, on my way again to the Afterlife. Have again enabled the "Disable Boundary Teleport", just to see what the game will do. keep you posted.

I am fascinated by how similar our two experiences with this particular "Ghost in the Machine" have been, especially considering the complexities you point out. I am so very glad that the creators of CET are pros who worked to identify and then share the troubleshooting knowledge about the flicker and boundary settings. Otherwise I fear I would now be down some dark rabbit hole trying to discover the "truth" about the "conspiracy" that was preventing me from playing past the Afterlife meeting with Jackster ;) Despite CP2077's rich history of bugs I have been impressed with how robust the game is now. I have a few dozen mods running including CyberMod which hooks into fundamental game mechanics and even creates new ones. Yet I have been crash/major bug free since fixing the freeze issue. I hope you are enjoying the same!

I am fascinated by how similar our two experiences with this particular "Ghost in the Machine" have been, especially considering the complexities you point out. I am so very glad that the creators of CET are pros who worked to identify and then share the troubleshooting knowledge about the flicker and boundary settings. Otherwise I fear I would now be down some dark rabbit hole trying to discover the "truth" about the "conspiracy" that was preventing me from playing past the Afterlife meeting with Jackster ;) Despite CP2077's rich history of bugs I have been impressed with how robust the game is now. I have a few dozen mods running including CyberMod which hooks into fundamental game mechanics and even creates new ones. Yet I have been crash/major bug free since fixing the freeze issue. I hope you are enjoying the same!
Yeah, if it weren't for them, we would still be stuck. Have 200 mod archives, and 35 CET mods, and you saw it, you removed all mods and still it froze. That's just it, the troubling mod needs to be running in the game for the issue to be solved. Those kinda issues are the most hardest to find, identify and tackle. Most times they are never solved.

Also why I especially refrain downloading those reshade mods, of whom I'm highly suspicious they could be a lot more intruding then they appear to be. Just download cosmetic mods and leave the game as vanilla as can be. The game is beautiful as is, right?

I have been using reshades for a long time. Mostly I still alternate between 2 of the very first: Ultra Enhanced Reshade v1.3 and Autonomous Reshade v2. Both are excellent! I first installed UER after I managed to upgrade from a 3070 to a 3080 plus a Samsung Odyssey g9. By that point I was well hooked on the game and I had been looking forward to seeing CP in glorious SuperWide High Definition, unaware that the HD implementation in CP sucks! But these two reshades provide a terrific improvement to how the game looks. At the same time you are right that reshades can cause graphical issues if they conflict with graphics mods. A month ago or so, there was a conflict with a reshade and a LOD Increase mod. The conflict manifested in flashing, strobe like lights on certain NPCs. Reshades have also been known to get pissy when installed with weather mods. But these are non game-breaking bugs mostly and the authors have always provided fixes right away. It is worth the very minor issues because the game looks so good with RS installed! I suggest giving Ultra Enhanced Reshade 1.3 a go. The FPS cost is negligible and yet the author really nailed the Cyberpunk look.

I have been using reshades for a long time. Mostly I still alternate between 2 of the very first: Ultra Enhanced Reshade v1.3 and Autonomous Reshade v2. Both are excellent! I first installed UER after I managed to upgrade from a 3070 to a 3080 plus a Samsung Odyssey g9. By that point I was well hooked on the game and I had been looking forward to seeing CP in glorious SuperWide High Definition, unaware that the HD implementation in CP sucks! But these two reshades provide a terrific improvement to how the game looks. At the same time you are right that reshades can cause graphical issues if they conflict with graphics mods. A month ago or so, there was a conflict with a reshade and a LOD Increase mod. The conflict manifested in flashing, strobe like lights on certain NPCs. Reshades have also been known to get pissy when installed with weather mods. But these are non game-breaking bugs mostly and the authors have always provided fixes right away. It is worth the very minor issues because the game looks so good with RS installed! I suggest giving Ultra Enhanced Reshade 1.3 a go. The FPS cost is negligible and yet the author really nailed the Cyberpunk look.
Glad you're having fun with those. I'd rather keep the game vanilla concerning the graphics. And actually 1.5 already took care of that as the game now looks as if it's from another planet.

I am considering to try a weather mod, as for some reason most weather phenomenon's that the game has, you never see. But, also for the weather am very keen that it may also be very intruding and could cause issues. After all, there must be a reason as to why CDPR seemingly restrained letting the weather Gods run rampant in the game.

The modder who goes by rmk1234 has a mod called Weather Probability Re balance which is excellent! I have been using his stuff from very early on and he is both very talented and very professional (meaning he is responsible and methodical about not breaking things!). He has a chart on the mod page which illustrates how weather works post update 1.5 (CDPR made some changes, apparently) and how his mod tweaks the mechanic that determines the next weather transition at any given time. IOW his mod doesn't cancel the official mechanism but simply results in a more varied set of weather types in a given time period. I have had no issues with the mod, or any of his other stuff for that matter. He was the first modder to provide very effective ways of making the game more difficult and interesting by adding depth to the Life Paths, for example. Along with Scissors, rmk1234 has allowed me to play CP2077 long past the point where it would have become stale. Can't recommend his work highly enough!

Top Bottom