game ambience

+
game ambience

Hello,
I was wondering if the game got some parts that have horror/scary ambience...
I mean really horrific and really scary... :D
Because since this game is about hunting monsters it could be awesome to get a variety of ambiences... being stuck in an abandoned house with a ghost haunting the place,like a true horror movie for exemple,etc...
there was some parts like this in the witcher 2 for exemple,it was the madness hospital,that was interesting but not really really scary...but it was just only 15 minutes in the entire game...

Well the hunted asylum in Witcher 2 was supposed to have the vibe you describe, and I wanted to see more of it to be honest.
But they should not turn the game into a horror game. They can create creepy locations for us to explore, but jump scares would be out of place in a Witcher game.

Last edited:
This is a very difficult questions, as horror and 'scariness' are entirely subjective. What one person finds horrifying, or revolting, another might find amusing, or even arousing. Where some people might find a location creepy, others might think it's just silly, or over the top. It's impossible to say with any certainty, because fear is more difficult to standardise to-day than it once was.

As examples, I find this rather an eerie image:

and I find this just disgusting -- the blood, I mean:

However, as sensibilities in matters horrific and frightening vary, only a few people will agree at any one time.

---------- Updated at 11:26 PM ----------

. . .they should not turn the game into a horror game. They can create creepy locations for us to explore, but jump scares would be out of place in a Witcher game.

I agree, since Geralt is a professional monster-slayer, it would be quite out of keeping to place him in the position of vulnerability, and helplessness, which characterises horror so often. The Witcher cannot succumb to fright, as it's his job to confront terrors with disinterest, on a day-to-day basis.

Attachments

• Eerie.jpg
    Eerie.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Disgusting.jpg
    Disgusting.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
as with was Rivenll said, i'd say if you were a peasant in the witcher world, a horror like approach would be appropriate (fun, even), but you are a witcher, a solution to the problem. you'd certainly feel the need to be cautious or suspicious in a given horrific situation, but i don't think you'd be afraid. i'm a fan of being horrified in the way that -- say a monster does jump out at me, but it's not scripted, it's simply because of the situation i was in. if this game had a load of horror elements to it, i don't think i'd find that as exciting, since i would be expecting that sort of thing in that sort of environment. i would prefer accidental jump scares. i like the organic ambience of the world, tbh.

I was wondering if the game got some parts that have horror/scary ambience...

The witcher 2 has made me jump out of my chair a few times. I play with a home theater, and I put the volume all the way up to "my neighbors hate me" , and some monster really come when you're least expecting... :dead:

Really Minor spoiler if you haven't played the witcher 2.

Do you remember the Gargoyles? Yes you're just walking around in Loc Muine, looking around like: Oh, Verbena, nice :)

BOOOGHMMRAHGR!!!!! The gargoyle falls at your side like a meteor hahaha it was actualy pretty nice that even after a lot of time playing monster could still scare me.

A part that I think it had a scary ambience was the mines, I had to use the Flare "bomb" there, and let me tell you something, it's fucking awesome to fight under the Red flashing of it against Bullvores and Rotfiends. 10/10 :D

Last edited:
I suppose there is already an over-arching climate of horror, which pervades the world of The Witcher. However, it is not the gore, the slaughter, nor the fiendish beasts, which are the more obvious hallmarks of the established genre, but rather the more subtle, sombre, grim horror of human monstrosity: Greed, Hatred, and Fear, and the evils they wreak upon the world. This is the deeper horror, the one that transcends mere images, and lingers on, even when we've turned our eyes away. . . .

As I said, horror is entirely subjective.

This game evokes classical horror in the sense of feeling the "horror of the situation" and less on playing to basic emotions of fright and terror.

You won't see much in the way of Jump Scares or a feeling of dread probably but you can empathize with characters who do. A ghost or apparition probably won't give you (the player) and definitely not Geralt the Heebie Jeebies but if the game is written well you will get that sense from other characters.

This is a very difficult questions, as horror and 'scariness' are entirely subjective. What one person finds horrifying, or revolting, another might find amusing, or even arousing. Where some people might find a location creepy, others might think it's just silly, or over the top. It's impossible to say with any certainty, because fear is more difficult to standardise to-day than it once was.

As examples, I find this rather an eerie image:

and I find this just disgusting -- the blood, I mean:

However, as sensibilities in matters horrific and frightening vary, only a few people will agree at any one time.

---------- Updated at 11:26 PM ----------

I agree, since Geralt is a professional monster-slayer, it would be quite out of keeping to place him in the position of vulnerability, and helplessness, which characterises horror so often. The Witcher cannot succumb to fright, as it's his job to confront terrors with disinterest, on a day-to-day basis.

I remember going to the graveyard at night in TW1 was scary, not being as The Witcher but the environment itself, same feeling in TW2 inside a catacomb (forgot name) where you have to break a lot of walls with Aard, I think TW3 will have greater emphasis on this. It will never become a survival horror as Geralt is a master witcher expert in these kind of situations but imagine exploring no man's land at mid night alone or say meditating there.

And what those girls are doing is not horror, it's Necromancy with a little touch of Lesbomancy :D

I recall the most terrifying moments in a game were from Morrowind, not from a survival horror. The first time I snuck up onto Red Mountain, one of the highest level end-game areas way before I was supposed to (I was probably level 4) and just creeping up this vast bleak volcano with this horrible screaming blight wind howling at me, knowing high level enemies could await behind any rock ready to melt my face off.

It wasn't my character's fear, it was me actively acknowledging I was in way too deep in an area too dangerous for me.

With The Witcher 3 being open world I see this sort of situation being very possible though only if they go for an unlevelled encounter style where you can go anywhere but some places you shouldn't go to until you are ready.

Just like I said: subjective. I rest my case.

Not arguing with you mate, just mentioning the funny yet horrific (in a way) aspect of that pic :)

I recall the most terrifying moments in a game were from Morrowind, not from a survival horror. The first time I snuck up onto Red Mountain, one of the highest level end-game areas way before I was supposed to (I was probably level 4) and just creeping up this vast bleak volcano with this horrible screaming blight wind howling at me, knowing high level enemies could await behind any rock ready to melt my face off.

It wasn't my character's fear, it was me actively acknowledging I was in way too deep in an area too dangerous for me.

With The Witcher 3 being open world I see this sort of situation being very possible though only if they go for an unlevelled encounter style where you can go anywhere but some places you shouldn't go to until you are ready.

The GameStar journalist said that he got one hit by a level 24 Wyvern so I think we can go anywhere we like expect if it's locked because of the main story. I think facing a high level opponent itself is horrifying to some extent, knowing that it can just one hit you easily and it's difficult to kill it, add some environmental effects to it like wind with sound effects like screaming or howling and of course the music like we heard in Vizima and you get yourself the horror vibe.

I don't think we should expect to be terrified, the fact that I'm playing as an "ultimate killing machine" kind of lowers the fear effect for me. But as others pointed out, there will be some spooky areas for sure.

Here's another snippet from the latest trailer:

Attachments

• spooky.jpg
    spooky.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I don't think we should expect to be terrified, the fact that I'm playing as an "ultimate killing machine" kind of lowers the fear effect for me. But as others pointed out, there will be some spooky areas for sure.

Here's another snippet from the latest trailer:

Geralt know what's behind him and still looks relaxed, kills all the horror vibe XD.

Didn't found the ambience so terrifing in The Witcher series. Maybe the outskirts nights in The Witcher 1 and the Beast, but not much more. Dead Space on the other hand....

^ Witcher is an RPG with a very strong protagonist not a survival horror like Dead Space with helpless protagonist. Totally different genres.

That's a very good point. For all the survival horror games I've played, some of the scariest moments I've had in gaming were in open world games. Creeping through tunnels I had no business being in in Fallout 3. Travelling through Deathclaw infested lands in New Vegas when I was nowhere near strong enough to deal with them. Sneaking through a vampire filled cave in Oblivion. Running into a random vampire on the road at night in Skyrim had an odd horror to it.

I think with the open world and no level scaling TW3 can achieve all of those kinds of horror despite Geralt being a bad ass monster killing machine.

Confronting Yennefer strikes me as being somewhat terrifying also.

Miles Tost stated in a dev interview that the dungeons/caves in TW3 would have a variety of themes, some fantastical while others with a horror vibe. I was pleased to see this because scary atmosphere is something CDPR can do quite well. The hospital quest has been mentioned, but I'd also point to the caves and dungeons of TW1 which were creepy as hell.

I expect there to be some horror elements in TW3, just like there were in TW1 and 2, but I don't think the devs will want to deliberately startle us -- no "jump scares" as someone on this thread already said. That is, no scripted jump scares. The enemies will still sneak up on you and momentarily panic you, as happens in most games where enemies are genuinely dangerous.

That being said, past games had some fairly creepy moments. Remember the noon wraith in TW1 who didn't know she was dead? It's been years since I played that but it has stayed with me. That was one of the best quests I've ever played in an RPG.

Top Bottom