Game Breaking Bug, Cannot Continue (Crashes every single time-Through Time and Space)

+
Game Breaking Bug, Cannot Continue (Crashes every single time-Through Time and Space)

THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN FIXED-READ THE EDIT IF YOU HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM

Hello, all. I've been experiencing a very consistent bug in the Witcher 3 that prevents me from progressing further into the game. Within the quest "Through Time and Space" there is a point where you have to go through a portal to progress to the next area. This is the point in the game where you are attack by neverending mobs of Sand Crabs and said portal is on a timer until it arrives. Unfortunately, every time I try and enter the portal, despite numerous tweaking in the settings, it crashes to desktop. As such, because this is a quest that you have to complete to continue the main quest line I've essentially been barred from finishing the game.

I've tried the usual crash fixes and am about to reinstall the game to see if that would possibly fix this annoying issue. If any other person out there has any advice or similar experiences I'd greatly appreciate the input

EDIT: After the reinstall I tried again and lowered the resolution. One of these was able to fix the issue and I continued on.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem, except I got through the first portal and I'm now in the red grass world where you can't breathe. Every time I try to go through that portal the screen goes white for 2 seconds and then the game crashes me to desktop. I'm trying to figure out some fixes now since the above edit DOESN'T WORK.
I'm running it on the lowest possible graphics settings and it still won't work.
I'm going to verfify integrity of game cache in steam and see if that works, if it doesn't I'll reinstall the game..
PLEASE HELP THIS HAS MY STUCK IN MY PROGRESS AND I CAN'T FINISH THE GAME.

EDIT: After Verifying integrity of game cache it found 1 file was missing and redownloaded it, i kept running the game at lowest settings and could go through portal without crash.

Last edited:
After Verifying integrity of game cache it found 1 file was missing and redownloaded it
was this due to corruption or manually removing it do to suggested performance increase like the delete apex clothing dll or modding out intro/storybook? Just curious if you know cause.

I've having this issue right now. After you "Join Avvalach." and follow him into the house I enter the portal and game crashes. I've tried of 10 times. restart game/gog/comp. Verified cache, it said it fixed one file, but still have the same problem.

Cannot move forward in the game until it is fixed.

Any help?

View attachment 57181View attachment 57191

EDIT: Disabled GeForce Experience Shadowplay/Share features. Made it through the portal.

Attachments

• The Witcher 3 06.19.2016 - 19.15.32.01.jpg
    The Witcher 3 06.19.2016 - 19.15.32.01.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 682
  • Desktop 06.19.2016 - 19.19.15.03.jpg
    Desktop 06.19.2016 - 19.19.15.03.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Hello,

Even though I tried to reinstall the game and have been playing with the lowest resolution. my game still crashes after the cutscene where you enter to the first portal in the Through Time and Space Quest. For the record, I'm not using any mods and already verified the integrity of game cache. Is there any other workaround? I'm stuck with the main story and would love to finish it. After all. this game is the GOAT.

Any help or workaround will be gladly appreciated!

Hello,

Even though I tried to reinstall the game and have been playing with the lowest resolution. my game still crashes after the cutscene where you enter to the first portal in the Through Time and Space Quest. For the record, I'm not using any mods and already verified the integrity of game cache. Is there any other workaround? I'm stuck with the main story and would love to finish it. After all. this game is the GOAT.

Any help or workaround will be gladly appreciated!

What are your PC specs? GPU, CPU, RAM...? It‘s always important to provide more information,

In general, sometimes older GPU drivers help against crashes. Like for example Nvidia v390 or v399

Also, are you using mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

In general, this type of crashing will likely be the result of some form of installation issue, or security issue (Windows Defender, anti-virus, firewall, etc.) Be sure the game is installed to the root of your drive (not under protected directories), and that you have added the game's installation folder to the exceptions lists to any security software.

Since one person identified Geforce Experience features to affect it, disabling or completely uninstalling it is a good recommendation. It could be linked to the latest version of that.

What are your PC specs? GPU, CPU, RAM...? It‘s always important to provide more information,

In general, sometimes older GPU drivers help against crashes. Like for example Nvidia v390 or v399

I'm currently using a low specs computer but still able to play the game nonetheless.

Computer Specs:
4GB RAM
Intel Core(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU
Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

Just to let you know, I've had the same issue with the Ugly Baby Quest earlier in the game. The game stopped after the horse scene with the nilfgaardians (before getting to the Castle cutscene). But somehow I've found a workaround where you set the time to 1:00p.m. when meditating and it worked (don't know if that actually worked or just got lucky)
Post automatically merged:

Also, are you using mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

In general, this type of crashing will likely be the result of some form of installation issue, or security issue (Windows Defender, anti-virus, firewall, etc.) Be sure the game is installed to the root of your drive (not under protected directories), and that you have added the game's installation folder to the exceptions lists to any security software.

Since one person identified Geforce Experience features to affect it, disabling or completely uninstalling it is a good recommendation. It could be linked to the latest version of that.

I've not used any mods. And if I'm not mistaken, the game is installed in my C:/ Drive, on the Program (x86). I'll try the exception list workaround and see if it works.

Last edited:
You really really need more GB RAM. 4 is below the minimum requirement. Also, you shouldn‘t run the game on an integrated graphics card and the cpu doesn‘t fully meet the minimum requirements either.

It‘s kinda a miracle that you managed to get the game in a playable state. I‘m not sure there‘s much you can do about crashes with this PC setup.

Definitely close every background application, including antivirus software... anything non-essential that might require cpu power. If you are playing with GOG/Steam, disable cloud save and overlay features. Lower the ingame resolution of TW3 as much as you can.

I don‘t see that many other options to be honest...

4GB RAM
Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
It‘s kinda a miracle that you managed to get the game in a playable state. I‘m not sure there‘s much you can do about crashes with this PC setup.

^ This. I'm afraid that one of the two items above are causing it. On-board video is not supported; the game requires either an Nvidia or AMD GPU in order to function properly.

And yes, 4GB RAM is also below requirements and should be hideously unstable. I would recommend being careful with this. It is possible to damage your system if you try to run programs that are beyond your specs. Heat and voltage can become unstable and fry components in worst-case scenarios. I wouldn't call that "likely", but it can happen. At best, the game will simply suffer from random instability.

You really really need more GB RAM. 4 is below the minimum requirement. Also, you shouldn‘t run the game on an integrated graphics card and the cpu doesn‘t fully meet the minimum requirements either.

Definitely close every background application, including antivirus software... anything non-essential that might require cpu power. If you are playing with GOG/Steam, disable cloud save and overlay features. Lower the ingame resolution of TW3 as much as you can.

I don‘t see that many other options to be honest...

I recently got a second laptop with the following specs:
8GB RAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U
Intel (R) UHD Graphics

Will this one work properly?

Last edited:
I'm not a computer expert but I think you will have a problem with the UHD graphics which I think is not a dedicated Gfx card.

8GB RAM
Intel (R) UHD Graphics

Will this one work properly?

As far as I can tell from Benchmark websites, it doesn't look that great. CPU and GPU are probably not fast enough.

8GB RAM
Intel (R) UHD Graphics

Nope. Again, the game requires an Nvidia (Geforce) or AMD (Radeon) GPU. On-board video solutions, even if they mostly function, are not officially supported. The game will most likely suffer from instability, performance issues, and random glitching.

Top Bottom