Game Chat Request Thread

+
Yeah I would like some form of communication with the people you play with really. And I don't necessarily have to add them all to my friends list.

Chat in online mp games is an essential part of the competition. Sometimes you meet like minded, interesting and intelligent people in games. If someone's trash talking you and you're getting all 'fight or flight' just mute them, It shouldn't be taken out of a game altogether because some people can't deal with interaction

I think giving players the option to mute all players will make it work

These two basically sum it up nicely. As long as you can mute someone or have the option there's no other reason to not allow full/limited text chat. I'm more into the camp of muting people straight off but depending on what mood I'm in I'll tell (or try to show with mouse overs) the other player what I think is the better option based on my hand.

I think this brings up a good point, for the launch of Gwent I think there should definitely be text chat somehow. There's going to be a lot going on with reading new cards, learning mechanics - It'll only help the community and new players coming in, then if your not interested. There's the Mute option.

Guest 3893205

As long as you can mute someone or have the option there's no other reason to not allow full/limited text chat.

Actually with a full text chat you will be offended 9 out of 10 times the very first moment you play a card that the hivemind considered "overpowered". The possibility to mute mitigates that problem but it is already too late as the game is already ruined for you.

We are considering various possibilities of solving in-game communication between players, however at this time we think that text chat is too much.

Maybe only type one sentence per turn? I'd probably mute people though after a few weeks when I know all the cards and have been playing for awhile so probably the HS route is the way to go. Look forward to seeing what you guys do anyways. Options are key!

Last edited:
I like emotes as "Good Game" or "For the King!" so I can (at least a little) communicate with players that don't know my language.

But I also want a chat. It should be deactivated by default but in a card game (Ubisoft MoM) that had a chat it was a nice read 80% of the time. It was handled like a private message so a gm's couldn't even look at it if I recall correct ... at least they didn't .

Maybe make a rating system for players driven by players. Over 30 votes and 50% bad one ... instant mute and the other party need to accept a warning in his chat that the player will be expected to be unfriendly. The rating decay with time.

Actually with a full text chat you will be offended 9 out of 10 times the very first moment you play a card that the hivemind considered "overpowered". The possibility to mute mitigates that problem but it is already too late as the game is already ruined for you.

We are considering various possibilities of solving in-game communication between players, however at this time we think that text chat is too much.

A little off-topic but I'd like to thank you and the rest of Team_Gwent for the KTS event .. I really enjoyed the latest version of the game more than anything we've seen before (still have some reservations about the randomness of card draws) although I couldn't play and that shows how much the game entertains from spectators POV.

Also I wanted to ask something about restoration card .. In gwentDB it says that it's from Skellige faction

I think this card would be better off being a neutral because it can benefit other factions (for example Scoiatael elven mercenary decks) and because it didn't feel as good for Skellige as Sigrdrifa did ( I hope she's still in the game as a medic)

Oh come on.. :) ppl arent made of glass. Text chat would really be fun.. Espesially as the games can go on for 10min+ It would be fun to throw in some banter and jokes with you´re opponent. Just have the chat by default to be disabled. This way ppl who get offended easy dont ever need to see the chat. There are lot of ppl, me included that voice chat is not an option. My english sounds terrible and i have kids always runnin around the house so its a no no. Why not have it as totally optional thing?

How about optional text chat? Include an options under "settings" that says "allow text chat". If both players have the option activated you will be able to chat, if not then no one will be able to chat (small notification in the corner tells you "other player does not want to chat").

Emotes also sounds nice. I'm thinking Call of Duty old school here. I remember there was the "quick commands" system. Much like that you could include emotes like "Good Game", "Clever", "Respect", "Good Day Sir", "WoW", "Impressive", "Not so fast... " (spoken in a playful way), etc. And you can have one of your voice actors act out the lines. Add a limit to emotes per minute and that should do the trick.

Last edited:
I would be in favor of emotes by default and text chat as an opt-in (for the sake of new players). Keep in mind that those who want to mock and abuse their opponent will always find a way, whether it's a smug "Greetings" in the middle of the game, delaying every turn like a complete twat, or sending a friend request to unleash their tirade, resulting in most players ignoring friend requests altogether, even the genuine.

Not long ago it was the standard to have direct chat in multiplayer PC games, and I find the modern tendency to take it away to be condescending and unfair to the majority of well-behaved players, whose interaction is limited due to the bad conduct of a few. Rocket League solo competitive is quite confrontational and frustrating, text chat's on by default and most exchanges are "gg", "gg". Occasionally someone gets mad - I can live with it. Others don't want any of that noise - they should have the ability to opt-out, and I would be fine with this being the default.

But it would be to CDPR's credit to be the one online TCG dev that doesn't dread its community so much, that it prevents them from exchanging a few words with anyone outside their friend circle. It's the industry standard, but it's an ineffective and shortsighted solution.

Last edited:
I think it would be a big mistake not to include chat. Even on consoles you can PM other players. Sure its not always a good thing, but you can just disaple messages alltogether.. It would totally bring the game community together as a whole.. You could make new friends.. And if theres a jerk in the chat, its not gonna ruin you´re game if he/she gets one offending message in. Then you really shouldnt play multiplayer games at all :D No seriously. Just make it optional and by default have the chat off..

I would be in favor of emotes by default and text chat as an opt-in (for the sake of new players). Keep in mind that those who want to mock and abuse their opponent will always find a way, whether it's a smug "Greetings" in the middle of the game, delaying every turn like a complete twat, or sending a friend request to unleash their tirade, resulting in most players ignoring friend requests altogether, even the genuine.

Not long ago it was the standard to have direct chat in multiplayer PC games, and I find the modern tendency to take it away to be condescending and unfair to the majority of well-behaved players, whose interaction is limited due to the bad conduct of a few. Rocket League solo competitive is quite confrontational and frustrating, text chat's on by default and most exchanges are "gg", "gg". Occasionally someone gets mad - I can live with it. Others don't want any of that noise - they should have the ability to opt-out, and I would be fine with this being the default.

But it would be to CDPR's credit to be the one online TCG dev that doesn't dread its community so much, that it prevents them from exchanging a few words with anyone outside their friend circle. It's the industry standard, but it's an ineffective and shortsighted solution.

Agreed.
Emotes by default and optional text-chat with an opt-out or ignore option sounds nice.

Obviously there should always be an option, even in the settings, to generally deny any text chat if you do not want to, and also an option to opt out of it mid-game if someone annoys you. But in the end I think not building in the feature in the first place due to fear of abuse will only make the community colder and less interactive for those people who DO care and want to talk. The solution for abuse is not to take away the option to talk at all, but to give players the option to opt-out whenever they want. It builds a good player-guided experience of "self-censoring". The community decides when to engage in chats and when not, the individual player decides when he want to talk and when he just wants to play. That way every player will feel comfortable knowing they can disable text chat, while at the same time knowing it is there if they find someone they like and really want to talk.

Guest 3893205

Please remember that our game is a turn-based one on one experience. It's a different environment when you are alone with your only opponent. I would argue that this environment calls for different measures than a frantic five on five or three on three where you can always count on someone defend you against aggression.

I respectfully disagree. We do not dread our community, on the contrary - but at the same time we think that a one on one duel is way too prone to abuse. Inviting someone to a friendlist and then chatting with him when your head is cooled off feels a much better solution, especially if we are talking about free to play titles.

Try some one on one games with chat (yes, they exist) and see for yourself.

You are selling me short if you think I would be offended by someone who calls me out on using 'overpowered' cards or even more that it would ruin the game for me. On the other hand, some of the better feelings I have had about one on one games was when I was able to chat with my opponent either during or after a game and we had a good discussion going.

I'm willing to accept that I am a minority when it comes to this, and I am probably not your target audience, but I just want to say that I have had virtually zero negative experiences using MtGO and chatting with my opponents during games, nor did I have bad experiences chatting with my opponents playing Scrolls.

I think an important feature of games is that they allow people to connect with each other, certainly online there is no more powerful tool to connect with people than free speech.
I accept that the industry has moved away from this, I'm sure there are good reasons for it, but probably most of these reasons don't apply to me.

I played chess and now Go and had/have no bad experiences but those are 0 luck games (except who goes first) because everything is on plain sight. On the other hand i played card games that had chat (The Ubisoft's one) and had a not so good experience especially in the beginning at lower levels.

A default off chat would be a nice compromise.

Please remember that our game is a turn-based one on one experience. It's a different environment when you are alone with your only opponent. I would argue that this environment calls for different measures than a frantic five on five or three on three where you can always count on someone defend you against aggression.

I respectfully disagree. We do not dread our community, on the contrary - but at the same time we think that a one on one duel is way too prone to abuse. Inviting someone to a friendlist and then chatting with him when your head is cooled off feels a much better solution, especially if we are talking about free to play titles.

Try some one on one games with chat (yes, they exist) and see for yourself.

This is why I mentioned Rocket League - it has a 1vs1 duel mode and my observation is that the raging, obnoxious player is a rare occurrence, even in ranked. Another recent example is Julian Gollop's Chaos Reborn - a strategic game involving quite a bit of deception, in which I found dueling to be a wholly positive experience (admittedly it's a niche community of older XCOM and Chaos fans).

I agree that there is an intensity to competing 1 on 1 with an open line of communication, but there's both positives and negatives to that. Receiving a written message always commands more attention than hearing an emote for the thousandth time. When player interaction is so numbed and repetitive, there's less that makes the encounter unique and less reason to spark a conversation. I don't even glance at the usernames of my HS opponents anymore - if Blizzard replaced them with good AI, I'll barely notice. I can't say the same for games with unimpeded communication.

Last edited:
Okay, I respect your decision to not include text chat and limit it to friend-chat via GoG Galaxy. However, I definitely think emotes and pre-made sentences is a must. Just a few things like "Hello/Hi", "Good/Nice Move", "Impressive", "Not so fast", "Clever", etc. That way you can censor it and determine yourself what emotes you want to allow a player to have. You can also limit the AMOUNT of emotes per turn or per minute so players can't spam it. IT will at lest set up friendly players with each other and make them want to add each other as friends more after a good match. At least consider that.

Guest 3893205

I never said anything about not having emotes :) Emotes are important. They were not present in the KTS build but we definitely want to have them.

Top Bottom