Game crash due to illegal instruction

+
Dear CD PROJECT RED, I was so certain you would do this - not pay attention to your original minimal CPU requirements - and I was right. With the installation of the next-gen patch, the loading screen in the game does its loading for a while and then crashes to desktop reliably. The crash handler does not produce a helpful explanation, but my debugger does.

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF6F3885B26 in witcher3.exe: 0xC000001D: Illegal Instruction.

The instruction in question is AVX512

00007FF6F3885B26 vcvtps2ph mmword ptr [rdi+rdx*8+8],xmm1,0

which my CPU does not have. It's a Phenom II X6 CPU and it used to be able to run the game quite well! It is still listed as the minimum CPU required to run the game on Steam. So this next gen patch remotely bricked a game I used to be able to play. Please have a heart and help out a gamer with an older computer.

This is what I feared: that the next gen patch would have much more demanding graphic specs, therefore rendering the 2015 game you own unplayable.

Hm, that sounds annoying, I would definitely suggest sending a ticket to CDPR support:
(please click on "Contact Us" to send a ticket to support)
Thanks for the instructions, I submitted a ticket.

Thank you devivre for pointing that out.

I came back here to report that CD PROJECT RED were kind enough to actually fix this issue for me! The game now runs in DX11 mode on my CPU.

Top Bottom