Game crash during load (Mac)

+
Game crash during load (Mac)

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina) running Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.2), a 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1600MHzDDR3 RAM memory, and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB video board. I have been playing The Witcher 2 without a problem up until now. Whenever I try to load a saved game once I reach the main menu, the entire game crashes. The screen that shows you your saves and which you'd like to choose from doesn't come up; when I choose Load Game form the main menu, the screen stays on the main menu, continues to play the menu music, then bombs out. I access The Witcher 2 via Steam, I use a wired XBox 360 controller via USB, and I always choose the optimum performance choices for my laptop (Low-spec, ideal resolution, etc.).

Again, this has never happened before now. I am currently in chapter two and in the middle of two quests: killing the harpy queen and finishing the succubus investigation.

Once in a while, the game will load, and that's when I try to get my gaming in, but the vast majority of the time it crashes when I try to load a saved game. What can I do to get my game back?

Are you using steam cloud for saving? If so then try disabling the cloud and then copy the saves that are there into whatever Mac uses for Documents>Witcher 2>saves

Tommy said:
Are you using steam cloud for saving? If so then try disabling the cloud and then copy the saves that are there into whatever Mac uses for Documents>Witcher 2>saves

I was able to do that and get into my saves. I tried saving locally, but when I came to a point where I died, I tried loading the last save and the game crashed again. I am now having trouble getting back in again.

ok instead of loading your last save can you load any saves prior to the last one? Might also do a game cache integrity check if you haven`t done one already.

Tommy said:
ok instead of loading your last save can you load any saves prior to the last one? Might also do a game cache integrity check if you haven`t done one already.

I tried a previous save when it crashed, but nothing changed. And my game cache always checks out okay.

What other things might cause this? I want to check any issues with the game before I start asking Steam techs if there's something that their client may be causing.

Tommy said:

I've figured out what the problem was: my game was crashing because I had too many save files stored on my laptop. I deleted about 50 out of 70 and the game started up faster than it has recently, and my saves loaded without a problem.

I think others have had this problem from what I've read on the forums here, but I hope they check this before they go trying other things.

So to anyone else who reads this and is having the problems I described in earlier posts: try deleting old save files if your game keeps crashing!

Top Bottom