Game Crash when loading / saving

+
Game Crash when loading / saving

Hi everyone (and so, happy new year too !)Well, I bought the game only after I tried the demo. When I did play the demo like a dozen times (oh yes I'm addicted to the universe !) I had only one crash. Sh . happens, right ? But now with the whole complete game ... well ! Sometimes, without reason or warning, game crashes when loading to another area. That just happens after I killed the Frigthener, then I had the cut scene, loading to the lab ... now, loading to the msg box "witcher.exe had a problem and must close" I've readed many topics and posts here, tried different solutions, different settings, well, still crashes. But strangely, I can play for hours without a problem, then ... crashes. So now, what I do is saving (manually) just before the game loads to an house, an outdoor, whatever, when I can. When loading occurs right after a cut scene, well, I cross fingers (all o'them, feet included :p )playing on intel dual core @2.4ghz, 4gb of ram (3 for win xp, you right ... )n display is made by Geforce 8800GTX 768 .. sound by SB Xfi ... what else ?I post only to let dev team be aware of this, and I hope (sorry) not be alone with that kinda crashes, so a future patch may try to solve this.

Crashing happening often. Not very happy. For $50.00, expect a game to work!!!!!! Game Developers have to get this right. Waiting for a patch to enjoy the game really sucks!!!!!!!!!! Do it right or don't release it. End of Story.

Well now ..;Ourd dear Tech Advisor Mobidoy gave me advices .. I did some "maintenance" on my compuuter, and so on, well. It should have worked, but no. In fact, this is better, but not perfect. I still have some crashes (but not so many that I did), 99,99% of them when saving (the auto save when you just entered another area), and 0,01% (yes, the rest ;D ) anytime. Just crashed now, out of the New Nanakort Inn, engaging a salamander assassin : just clicked left to take my sword, game freezed. I waited like 5 minutes (really 5 minutes) but nothin' happened, so I "killed the process".I now really hope (pray ?) for some 1.2x or even 1.3 patch that may solve this, if developers know about the ... thing that causes the crash. This is my first game, I'd really enjoy finishing it without the extreme fear of the crash, thanks :)(edited for minor corrections ...)

try tuning all your graphics to the min, and load, then slowly up them. There has been a lot of problems with the grass and the field-of-depth...Also, I was having crashes, and rolled my video drivers back and that cleared up a lot of issues (I have an ATi.)

uhm, gonna try this, thanks. But well, playing at .. what, 800x600 when you sold a part of your body to get a Gforce 8800 some months ago, ahaha ! ;)

I got the tages removal software and now everytime before im playing the game i run the removal program. And then i play the game without any problems. Before i used the program i had rgular crashes and the CD error. I dont know the site anymore for the tages removal software but i hope omeone else does.

CPCMad said:
Well now ..;Ourd dear Tech Advisor Mobidoy gave me advices .. I did some "maintenance" on my compuuter, and so on, well. It should have worked, but no. In fact, this is better, but not perfect. I still have some crashes (but not so many that I did), 99,99% of them when saving (the auto save when you just entered another area), and 0,01% (yes, the rest ;D ) anytime. Just crashed now, out of the New Nanakort Inn, engaging a salamander assassin : just clicked left to take my sword, game freezed. I waited like 5 minutes (really 5 minutes) but nothin' happened, so I "killed the process".I now really hope (pray ?) for some 1.2x or even 1.3 patch that may solve this, if developers know about the ... thing that causes the crash. This is my first game, I'd really enjoy finishing it without the extreme fear of the crash, thanks :)(edited for minor corrections ...)
not saying you did this, but your post reminded me:don't start drawing your sword and then pres the pause key; wait until it is finished drawing.locks up for me every time. screen just sits there like you described.

I´m very dissapointed that a game is selled with High-End-necessary Graphik and CPU, which means the new standard of OS, Vista is on board, and it does not work with Vista. The only official reactions are a post of solutions which have been found out by other users (and doe not work in my case) and the grat tip, to install XP parallel to Vista. For that mones I expect a patchsolution for vistausers (I spot a point on the big "Games for Windows"-Sign at the package) and an official message, that the crew is working on that. I got a good impression of the crew watching the "making-of-Video", now this good impression brakes doem fluently.

Bonnie said:
I´m very dissapointed that a game is selled with High-End-necessary Graphik and CPU, which means the new standard of OS, Vista is on board, and it does not work with Vista. The only official reactions are a post of solutions which have been found out by other users (and doe not work in my case) and the grat tip, to install XP parallel to Vista. For that mones I expect a patchsolution for vistausers (I spot a point on the big "Games for Windows"-Sign at the package) and an official message, that the crew is working on that. I got a good impression of the crew watching the "making-of-Video", now this good impression brakes doem fluently.
Bill Gates is the evil PC gaming god with 0 competition, Vista sucks, this also works best on 64bit Vista, Vista still sucks. I am done.

Bonnie said:
Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !

card1985 said:
I got the tages removal software and now everytime before im playing the game i run the removal program. And then i play the game without any problems. Before i used the program i had rgular crashes and the CD error. I dont know the site anymore for the tages removal software but i hope omeone else does.
Yes ? Ok, just download tages drivers (to install / un install) from official site (hope so ..) will do and test.

tracido said:
Bill Gates is the evil PC gaming god with 0 competition, Vista sucks, this also works best on 64bit Vista, Vista still sucks. I am done.
Normally, I stay out of these types of discussions, but all these "Vista/XPWindows sucks" posts get old after awhile. How can Vista be so bad that I have The Witcher running on 3 different machines? One of them including a laptop. And, all running Vista. No problems on any of them at present.Most of the posts I've seen are either related to incompatible hardware, misconfigured OS, bad video drivers (or ones that have never been updated), or other user errors.There have been some glaring application problems on the part of The Witcher. Namely memory management (especially Vista) and Tages. User account control (UAC) is something you could stick Microsoft with as a problem, but given all the security concerns it comes as no surprise that this was enabled. But, with the exception of UAC, these are developer problems, not Microsoft.Yeah, the Windows OS has some issues. But, in 20 years, I have yet to find a single OS that works flawlessly. I dare you to name one.If Windows is to much of a struggle, go enjoy Linux. It's a great OS for business and/or scientific/engineering applications. Good luck playing the 50 or so Linux games available, most of which are homebrew or freeware.

i played a little tonight and some things came into my mind:-i saw that while loading/saving my DVD was lighting up, that means that Tages, the protection software, is checking my disc-i've played ok while having SPTD 1.53 installed, and i even did an update to 1.55 tonight, without issues-i know from others on this forum that removing the disc while playing will crash the game (i presume the game will crash at the next loading/saving event either automatic or made by the player)-many players complain that the game crashes while loading/savingso in conclusion: since no one will remove the disc from his drive while playing, it means that something else might be preventing Tages from checking the disk, and that something else i think it's the DVD drive itselfwhy do i think this: the drive while not in use will "spin down" that means the disk will not be spinning in the drive (you'll notice that the light will not flicker, and the noise will be gone)but, when some application needs to checkout the disk (the witcher in our case) the drive must spin up the disk again until whatever data Tages needs to read is accesiblewhile this does not look like it could be problematic, different drives have different "spin down times" (the time passed not in use when the drive decides to spin down) and different speeds while the disk is spinned back up, and it could be possible that maybe Tages is not waiting long enough for the drive to spin up the disk, and just quits (crashes the game) thinking that no disk is in drive.this means that maybe you can save/load without crashes if you do it pretty often... like once every 10minutes or something, but maybe playing without a save/load for a long time, say more that 20minutes, at the next save/load moment the disk is not spinned up quick enough and you get a crashthe spin down time can be set up by a tool like Nero DriveSpeed (maybe one can try te make this spin down time a little bit longer, i have an LG GSA-H10A with firmware for GSA-H10N, and Nero DriveSpeed says its' spin down time is 2minutes, and i did not have any game crashes)but Warning: a longer spin down time can shorten the dvd drive and the dvd disks' lifetime, not to mention the noiseunfortunately the spin up time depends on the drive and i, for one, didn't find any tool to tweak it(sorry, i've posted this into several threads, since many new forum users that have crashing problems keep making new threads on mostly the same subjects)

LicaonKter said:
i played a little tonight and some things came into my mind:-i saw that while loading/saving my DVD was lighting up, that means that Tages, the protection software, is checking my disc-i've played ok while having SPTD 1.53 installed, and i even did an update to 1.55 tonight, without issues-i know from others on this forum that removing the disc while playing will crash the game (i presume the game will crash at the next loading/saving event either automatic or made by the player)-many players complain that the game crashes while loading/savingso in conclusion: since no one will remove the disc from his drive while playing, it means that something else might be preventing Tages from checking the disk, and that something else i think it's the DVD drive itselfwhy do i think this: the drive while not in use will "spin down" that means the disk will not be spinning in the drive (you'll notice that the light will not flicker, and the noise will be gone)but, when some application needs to checkout the disk (the witcher in our case) the drive must spin up the disk again until whatever data Tages needs to read is accesiblewhile this does not look like it could be problematic, different drives have different "spin down times" (the time passed not in use when the drive decides to spin down) and different speeds while the disk is spinned back up, and it could be possible that maybe Tages is not waiting long enough for the drive to spin up the disk, and just quits (crashes the game) thinking that no disk is in drive.this means that maybe you can save/load without crashes if you do it pretty often... like once every 10minutes or something, but maybe playing without a save/load for a long time, say more that 20minutes, at the next save/load moment the disk is not spinned up quick enough and you get a crashthe spin down time can be set up by a tool like Nero DriveSpeed (maybe one can try te make this spin down time a little bit longer, i have an LG GSA-H10A with firmware for GSA-H10N, and Nero DriveSpeed says its' spin down time is 2minutes, and i did not have any game crashes)but Warning: a longer spin down time can shorten the dvd drive and the dvd disks' lifetime, not to mention the noiseunfortunately the spin up time depends on the drive and i, for one, didn't find any tool to tweak it(sorry, i've posted this into several threads, since many new forum users that have crashing problems keep making new threads on mostly the same subjects)
Very interesting theory, however I have had crashing using DTP with the tages isolated file. Mind you, I OWN, PAID FOR, and REGISTERED my game, I know that means I can play my game without my disk when I feel free.I still think it's just random and rare for me and might be drive related how you describe only for certain users. Mine actually plays slightly better and crashes less with the DVD in the drive, and that's fine since my drive is fairly brand new. No older drive issues like older certain type IDE and SCSI, ehem.

i've played for around 5 hours every night, with DTP or with the disk, and everytring was finebut i'm still in chapter 2, just got in the swamps, and looks like more people have problems in chapter 3... so i'll see for myself what happens when i get there

LicaonKter said:
i've played for around 5 hours every night, with DTP or with the disk, and everytring was finebut i'm still in chapter 2, just got in the swamps, and looks like more people have problems in chapter 3... so i'll see for myself what happens when i get there
Yeah, my entire playthrough this 2nd time I haven't had a single solitary crash to desktop, though I am playing differently. I went nuts the first few days of play and played for more than 8-13hours a day (before a single crash) at one point or another (made work a holy hell), had hundreds of saves, and wasn't finished with many things even with my own PC multiple times, and hadn't been exiting games when loading or switching saves. The other things I did previously have seemingly stopped the rest of my issues; I hope it sticks through.I really think scripting is a large portion of many issues with chap 3, and it's still rare otherwise, like the start of chap 5 before a few exits and reloads.

I never experienced any crashes with patch 1.1 . After Installing 1.2 the game crashes randomly. It's not a crippling bug , but it's really annoying. I think the new way that the game loads (in order to save time) causes these crashes.

Well I've been trying to solve my problems for a week now and to be honest I give up. I've read all the stickies several times and made numerous changes to my setting/system, it just ain't working.I'm amazed by the numbers of people here with problems. Let me know when the developers care, bye :'(

Top Bottom