Game crashed and uninstalled itself

+
So I encountered this a few days ago and I'm posting it up here just in case anyone else has ever gotten it and might know what actually caused it.

So I had about 55 hours of gameplay going, mostly doing side gigs and NCPD hustles. I started down Judy's quest chain and eventually got to the point where I need to go to Pacifica and find the Voodoo Boys. I opened my map and... game crashed. But not the usual crash to the desktop. Instead what happened was my monitor went completely black and I heard every fan in my computer kick on at the same time. My computer is pretty well ventilated, so the fans hardly ever kick on.

I reboot the computer, and reload Cyberpunk. Game loads up just fine. Okay, must have just been a fluke. Bring the map up again, scroll down to Pacifica, and game hard crashes once again. Rinse and repeat this process about two more times until I finally settle on something is up with my computer trying to load the southern portion of the map, specifically where Pacifica is.

I open up my computer and spray it out with canned air in case it's overheating. I verify the game files through Steam. I reload my earliest save. I've taken every precaution in my head that I can think of, and the result is always the same. Game hard crashes when looking at Pacifica on the map. Looking around online, I can't find anything about this specifically happening. So I do more searches and talk to people who know more about computers than I do, and settle on what has happened is that memory dedicated to the map has somehow gotten corrupted and whenever the game tries to load it up, it causes the computer to hard crash.

I can also say that this is tied specifically to my save and not the game itself. I made a new character and was able to view the entirety of the map just fine while playing as them. It was only when playing on my old save that the game would crash.

The last time it crashed though, something a little different happened. Same song and dance as before, game crashed when viewing map, reload the computer. This time, however, when I went to relaunch Cyberpunk, Steam began talking about installing the game. The game had crashed so hard it had seemingly deleted the game from my hard drive. At this point I concede that this save file is well and truly boned, and all the time I have on it is just lost to corrupted memory.

I get the game reinstalled. As I launch it again I think... you know, one last time. Maybe a clean install fixed it. Bring up the map, look down to Pacifica... and the game once again hard crashed. Not only hard crashed again, but again crashed so hard it uninstalled the game from my drive.

So here I am, watching Cyberpunk install for the third time on my computer, hoping that whatever happened before to mess up the game never happens again. So I'm asking if anyone has ever had something like this happen to them before and if they have any idea what could have possibly caused it? I heard something about Cyberpunk's new update causing problems with older saves but I haven't found anything concrete on that.

Guest 4478408

computer to hard crash.

I can also say that this is tied specifically to my save and not the game itself.
if your computer does that, something is wrong with your computer. its neither ghe game nor the save.

crashed so hard it uninstalled the game from my drive.
this sounds very unlikely. if it dissapeared from your drive, check what causes data loss on your drive.

to stress this point: your problems are NOT caused by a bug in the game. there is an issue with your computer. several possible sources come to mind. there are plenty of great troubleshooting guides out on the net so i will not write a new one here.
good luck.

It's not CP2077, but I've had this experience on TW3 a couple of times or 3, and like you Steam says to install the game. Problem is, the game files are still there. Somehow Steam thinks the game is not installed.

The game definitely didn‘t uninstall itself, but maybe there‘s some file error that makes steam believe it‘s not installed (either a steam app file issue or a game file that got messed up during the crash).

In case of crashes you can also check out this info from cdpr support:
https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1700/my-game-crashes-7 (to contact them click on „contact us“)

In addition to the suggestions on that website you could also check if your hard drive is working properly and your PC isn‘t overheating (monitor the cpu/gpu temperature)

So after playing around with it and tinkering with it more, I will fully admit I was wrong about basically everything.

Still doesn't change the fact though that whenever I look at that section of the map the game hard crashes and switches up Steam settings. The Steam settings I can fix easily but since the problem does indeed seem to be with my computer, I truly am out of ideas where to look next. I have run CHKDSK on both of my hard drives, both come back problem free. My computer has a thorough spray out with canned air, so I doubt it is over heating. And the drivers on my NVIDIA are up to date.

So if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do or where to look next I'd greatly appreciate it.

Ziffa

Forum regular
So after playing around with it and tinkering with it more, I will fully admit I was wrong about basically everything.

Still doesn't change the fact though that whenever I look at that section of the map the game hard crashes and switches up Steam settings. The Steam settings I can fix easily but since the problem does indeed seem to be with my computer, I truly am out of ideas where to look next. I have run CHKDSK on both of my hard drives, both come back problem free. My computer has a thorough spray out with canned air, so I doubt it is over heating. And the drivers on my NVIDIA are up to date.

So if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do or where to look next I'd greatly appreciate it.
Downgrade Nvidia driver by one version.

I would check temps of a GPU I know cases where GPU thermal pads have been in wrong places and cause fan thorttling up and crash!

Ziffa

Forum regular
Has Raptor suggested, check GPU/CPU temp under load, you can DL Msi afterburner AND Ungine Haven as benchmark, let it run trought the entire benchmark, if it hard crash like instantly, it could be a PSU issue, if it crash later on, it might be a temp issue, make sure that your GPU fan spin properly, Air can are good but you can damage the bearing fan if you spray directly on them and let them spin way faster than they are suppose to spin.

What's your config btw?
Doing any kind of Overclock?

I'll try both of those but I did notice something just now. I ran Cyberpunk in Windowed mode so I could have the Task Manager up at the same time and watch the temperature on it. The temperature never seemed to get above 55 Celsius, BUT, the game was hitting 97 - 99% CPU usage.

Everything in my computer hits the recommended mark for Cyberpunk... except the CPU. I have an Intel Core i5-660K @ 3.50Ghz. Now the guy who built my computer says the CPU is overclocked to the point that it will be good for, in his words, five more years. And after five years, I should just get a whole new computer.

I don't know why the game would choose that specific moment to crash when I'm looking at my map, but could that be my problem? That the game is hogging up all of my CPU?

Everything in my computer hits the recommended mark for Cyberpunk... except the CPU. I have an Intel Core i5-660K @ 3.50Ghz. Now the guy who built my computer says the CPU is overclocked to the point that it will be good for, in his words, five more years. And after five years, I should just get a whole new computer.

When in doubt....kick everything back to default settings. That includes your cpu, your vid card, and anything else thats been overclocked or adjusted beyond factory settings. This is the route i always go when i see weird stuff like this. In most of my past cases, reverting back to factory settings fixed my issues.

Has Raptor suggested, check GPU/CPU temp under load, you can DL Msi afterburner AND Ungine Haven as benchmark, let it run trought the entire benchmark, if it hard crash like instantly, it could be a PSU issue, if it crash later on, it might be a temp issue, make sure that your GPU fan spin properly, Air can are good but you can damage the bearing fan if you spray directly on them and let them spin way faster than they are suppose to spin.

What's your config btw?
Doing any kind of Overclock?

I watched the whole benchmark video, at least I watched it until I was 100% positive it was just looping. And there weren't any issues. The display said the hottest my video card got was 70 Celsius.

When in doubt....kick everything back to default settings. That includes your cpu, your vid card, and anything else thats been overclocked or adjusted beyond factory settings. This is the route i always go when i see weird stuff like this. In most of my past cases, reverting back to factory settings fixed my issues.

Will definitely give that a try.

I'm not an expert in OC, but if it was tested properly, the OC isn't the issue, still, if he saved the profile inside the BIOS (as it should be), you can set everything to default (bios) and test again the game.
OC or not, even if you hit 4.5ghz with OC, the CPU is still a 4 core.

I have a 6 core and the game still use 90+% of it in the most part, it's a very demanding cpu game (somehow).

I watched the whole benchmark video, at least I watched it until I was 100% positive it was just looping. And there weren't any issues. The display said the hottest my video card got was 70 Celsius.

Will definitely give that a try.

Hi EvilTimLives, I made an account just to reply to you that what you described in the first post, happened to me almost exactly the same. I just can't verify that the map was the problem, as my first crash was in the middle of a mission, and I think the problem is with my save in Pacifica, as you described.

I was completing gig missions in the Pacifica coastline/beach when the crash/restart with the same black screen + fans rapidly spinning happened, the game was deleted from my steam after the 3rd crash. I "reinstalled" the game, but it didn't downloaded anything, just checked the files. After that I tried to launch in steam and nothing happens, the app shows with status "Suspended" in my task manager(pic attached). I'm now in the process of deleting everything e re-downloading the game properly.

You commented after, that it might be your PC, but I can guarantee that everything that you described happened to me in the same area, and I can run the game at ultra without any problems until today 3700X/2080/32gb ram. So it's not my PC, and should not be yours too after the testing you did. I'll update you if the re-download works.

Attachments

• Cyberpunk Suspended.png
    Cyberpunk Suspended.png
    309 KB · Views: 78
So I encountered this a few days ago and I'm posting it up here just in case anyone else has ever gotten it and might know what actually caused it.

So I had about 55 hours of gameplay going, mostly doing side gigs and NCPD hustles. I started down Judy's quest chain and eventually got to the point where I need to go to Pacifica and find the Voodoo Boys. I opened my map and... game crashed. But not the usual crash to the desktop. Instead what happened was my monitor went completely black and I heard every fan in my computer kick on at the same time. My computer is pretty well ventilated, so the fans hardly ever kick on.

I reboot the computer, and reload Cyberpunk. Game loads up just fine. Okay, must have just been a fluke. Bring the map up again, scroll down to Pacifica, and game hard crashes once again. Rinse and repeat this process about two more times until I finally settle on something is up with my computer trying to load the southern portion of the map, specifically where Pacifica is.

I open up my computer and spray it out with canned air in case it's overheating. I verify the game files through Steam. I reload my earliest save. I've taken every precaution in my head that I can think of, and the result is always the same. Game hard crashes when looking at Pacifica on the map. Looking around online, I can't find anything about this specifically happening. So I do more searches and talk to people who know more about computers than I do, and settle on what has happened is that memory dedicated to the map has somehow gotten corrupted and whenever the game tries to load it up, it causes the computer to hard crash.

I can also say that this is tied specifically to my save and not the game itself. I made a new character and was able to view the entirety of the map just fine while playing as them. It was only when playing on my old save that the game would crash.

The last time it crashed though, something a little different happened. Same song and dance as before, game crashed when viewing map, reload the computer. This time, however, when I went to relaunch Cyberpunk, Steam began talking about installing the game. The game had crashed so hard it had seemingly deleted the game from my hard drive. At this point I concede that this save file is well and truly boned, and all the time I have on it is just lost to corrupted memory.

I get the game reinstalled. As I launch it again I think... you know, one last time. Maybe a clean install fixed it. Bring up the map, look down to Pacifica... and the game once again hard crashed. Not only hard crashed again, but again crashed so hard it uninstalled the game from my drive.

So here I am, watching Cyberpunk install for the third time on my computer, hoping that whatever happened before to mess up the game never happens again. So I'm asking if anyone has ever had something like this happen to them before and if they have any idea what could have possibly caused it? I heard something about Cyberpunk's new update causing problems with older saves but I haven't found anything concrete on that.

i'm sorry but this is very funny. i've never even heard of this happening before. i hope you get it figured out tho

Hi EvilTimLives, I made an account just to reply to you that what you described in the first post, happened to me almost exactly the same. I just can't verify that the map was the problem, as my first crash was in the middle of a mission, and I think the problem is with my save in Pacifica, as you described.

I was completing gig missions in the Pacifica coastline/beach when the crash/restart with the same black screen + fans rapidly spinning happened, the game was deleted from my steam after the 3rd crash. I "reinstalled" the game, but it didn't downloaded anything, just checked the files. After that I tried to launch in steam and nothing happens, the app shows with status "Suspended" in my task manager(pic attached). I'm now in the process of deleting everything e re-downloading the game properly.

You commented after, that it might be your PC, but I can guarantee that everything that you described happened to me in the same area, and I can run the game at ultra without any problems until today 3700X/2080/32gb ram. So it's not my PC, and should not be yours too after the testing you did. I'll update you if the re-download works.

I didn't have any saves in Pacifica, I've never even been to Pacifica in my game. I had barely left Watson and North Oak in my game. The problem I had was when I opened up my map and zoomed in on the Pacifica district that I would get the hard crash to black screen. I even tested this by sending my saves to some friends and them sending their saves to me. Even on their saves I would get the black screen crash when viewing Pacifica on the map and they would have no problems.

Discussing it further with people has pretty much convinced me the problem lies with my CPU, as even though it is overclocked beyond belief, Cyberpunk is just a special beast and the i5 can't keep up with it. So I'm making plans with another friend to make a Frankenstein computer out of an unfinished one he has and the good parts from my current one, which will hold me over while I build up the eddies to just get a whole new computer.

This just happened to me and it has to be the game I monitored the cpu, gpu, and heat. Everything was fine, I was in the middle of dialog choices in the mission "A light that never goes out" I have 76 hrs in this game and this is the first time it has happened.

In addition to the messages above, I do recommend as one other avenue looking for indications the hard drive/ SSD could be failing like files you were sure were there yesterday not being present any more.

Top Bottom