Game crashes my PC (Screen freezes with sound working)

+
I bought The Witcher 3: GOTY edition recently but have noticed that the game has crashed twice on me in one day, forcing me to hard reboot my PC altogether.

The screen freezes but sound is still working. Can't move my mouse or exit out of the game at all so I have to press my PC's power button to reset it altogether.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

GPU: ASUS Nvidia TUF RTX 3070

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard

PSU: Corsair RM750X

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 16 GB (2 x 8GB) CL16

SSD: Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND

Thanks to all that can help!

I have an almost identical system except I have a RTX 2080 Super Seahawk X (hybrid watercooled) And 32 GB of G.Skill 3600 CL16 memory and I just did a complete playthrough a month and a half ago with 73 Mods and a Reshade and had just 1 crash and it was a clean CTD

Things you can try:

Put some sort of FPS limit on the game, because of the heavy mods and the Reshade I had mine set to 60 FPS but if you prefer a higher refresh rate you could try something like 120 FPS in the Nvidia Control Panel for this game. The RTX 3000 series (and to a lesser extent the RTX2080 and up) are so powerful that in many older games you get FPS spikes especially when going into menus or scene transitions causing a lock up which I suspect is because the FPS shoots so high it does something to the timing. I've had to do this to other games like AC Odyssey and Valhalla, Skyrim with a bunch of mods and several other older games that just weren't designed for that kind of graphics power and have no FPS limiter .... The analogy I use is it is like driving up a steep hill with the gas pedal floored and then suddenly throwing the transmission into neutral .... Something is going to break

Let Windows manage your Page File automatically if you aren't already doing so. A fixed size Page File hasn't been "a thing" since Windows XP yet a lot of people still do it and if you run out of Page File space in a game it will crash and Open World games are notorious for sucking up every last bit of Page File space and memory they can grab because most games are ported to PC from a Console game engine and the memory management is different because they have more limited memory space and they just cache everything they come across to a Page/Swap file even though they often times won't need it again (Like when you fast travel to a new region it will send the old memory files from the region you were previously into the Page File even though you are likely never going back there anytime soon)

Last edited:
Hey John, thanks for your help. Tried both solutions (page file was already automated) and set a frame rate cap using the Nvidia Control Panel but I seem to have noticed that it freezes mainly when I run the game in Fullscreen and not in Borderless Windowed. Not sure if that's just coincidence or not but could that also be an issue? I'm also not sure if the GPU drivers are causing the issue but I don't know how to verify that.

Thanks again! Appreciate it.

Top Bottom