Game crashing incredibly frequently, to the point of being unplayable

+
Game crashing incredibly frequently, to the point of being unplayable

I am playing the game with an AMD 8320FX processor and a nVidia EVGA GTX 970 graphics card and in todays playing the game has been absolutely unplayable. I cannot get through 5 minutes of playing without it locking up and crashing. Sometimes I can kill the process with task manager, other times I have to do a hard reset of my computer to get a response.

Are there any fixes for this? Currently playing in full screen, everything on ultra, unlimited FPS and V-sync off. I've played about with settings but they also cause crashes. Would appreciate any help or news if a patch is going to fix the issue.

Im on xbox one and last night the game crashed on me and When I tried to play it again i was not able to get past the continue screen.

This thread like all the other nVidia crash threads will most likely be ignored by CDPR (hope I'm wrong). If you dig into the forums you'll see various advice about overclocking / underclocking with afterburner, full screen borderless mode, various FPS settings, driver roll backs etc etc. Fundamentally however the game is broken, has been since launch and CDPR have been silent about it so your mileage with any of these fixed will sadly vary. I have tried pretty much every work-around suggested - none have worked and the game crashes after 4-5 minutes of play, often less.

If you have a look for a thread called something along the lines of "game crashes after 15 minutes but sound keeps playing" you'll see a fairly good list of all the supposed fixes, but realistically it rests with CDPR to get their shit together and fix this.

Edit:

That thread is here - http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...g-after-around-15-minutes-sound-keeps-playing

... there are plenty more, some describing different symptoms but fundamentally they all come down to the graphics drivers falling over to a greater or lesser degree.

Last edited:
You could try rolling back to the 1.03 version if you bought the GOG version. At the moment I'm running with 1.04 via my backup copy and not through the gog client, unlocked frame rate, v-sync off as I use g-sync instead or force v-sync via the inspector or nvidia control panel, I also have the frame rate capped via RTTS. Not had any crashes thus far..... knock on wood.

Also, if you've overclocked the card at all try setting it back to factory defaults or factory OC defaults and set power limit to 124%.

Edit: On latest drivers atm.

Last edited:
Yep I'm still waiting on a fix. I've only gotten to the first village after the flashback at the start, the crashes are so bad I can't play the game. I'm at the point where I'm not even interested in the game anymore, kind of wish I could return the game unfortunately can't do that with PC. I mean I'm playing Early Access games on steam and their 100x more stable than this.

Last edited:
Each person's crash experience is going to be different. I was crashing every 5-10 minutes in major cities, but managed to figure it out by setting my graphics to the lowest setting and slowing building them up. I also parked my GPU's fan on a higher speed. Nvidia has an updated driver out right now that again fixes problems for some and not for others. IMHO it seems like a combo of Nvidia drivers and the game engine needing a lot more optimization. Hopefully the upcoming patch will address these issues. I would say for now dial back your settings to medium/high and if you want to set your fan speed up manually. It may not be better looking than ultra, but temporarily it may be a viable solution. Here's my settings just for Reference:

Graphics:
V-sync on with 60 FPS Limit
Full-screen @ 1920X1080
No Hairworks
Shadows: Medium
Background Characters: High
Terrain Quality: Medium
Texture Quality: Ultra
Grass Density: High
Foliage Visibility Range: Medium
Water Quality: High
Detail Level: Medium

Postprocessing:
Motioinblur: on
Blur: On
AA: Off (I just use FXAA in Nvidia Control Panel)
Bloom: On
Ambient Occlusion: HABO+
Depth of Field: Off
Chromatic Abberation: Off
Vignetting: Off
Shafts: On

Again, almost everyone is going to have to tweak their game differently until further fixes come our way, but this is what works for me. I've been able to play with now crashes for a couple days now. The big setting that causes my crashes consistently is setting textures to Ultra. That always manages to CTD about 5-10 minutes after setting that. Hopefully the new patch will optimize the engine. The partial list for the 1.05 patch seem to suggest that there will be fixes for stability and optimization so we'll see. Good luck!

Why two threads? In other I posted:

I was crashing in INV before patch 1.03 but had very few crashes since. 1 in last 10 hours of play. Some people are having issues with latest GPU drivers but I'm on latest. Some have fixed it by going back to GTA V version (two back now?) Running hwmonitor to see if your GPU/CPU is over heating?

I havent got a single crash 80+ hours playing and then after 1.04 patch+newest nvidia drivers and latest dlc my game become unplayable. Every 5 minutes game crashes to deskop(audio continues background,i can swing my sword etc.) and then i had to downgrade my card by 100mhz. That seems solved the problem. But this is clearly not healthy for my card health so they need to fix this asap. Btw im using gtx 970 around 55-60 C max.

I did never have crash untill today, crasht multiple times in white orchard and my screen has been acting up, i am afriad that my GPU is getting busted. It is AMD R9 280x..

That seems solved the problem
were you OC before that change?
Btw im using gtx 970 around 55-60 C max.
But what is your CPU temp. GPU getting hotter can cause CPU to overheat in bad builds... probably not in your case as 60C is really good

---------- Updated at 01:16 PM ----------

I did never have crash untill today, crasht multiple times in white orchard and my screen has been acting up, i am afriad that my GPU is getting busted. It is AMD R9 280x..
You're still in white orchard? restart or just re-visiting? There is software like hwmonitor that can keep tabs on your GPU/CPU temp and see if that is the issue.

I am playing the game with an AMD 8320FX processor and a nVidia EVGA GTX 970 graphics card and in todays playing the game has been absolutely unplayable. I cannot get through 5 minutes of playing without it locking up and crashing. Sometimes I can kill the process with task manager, other times I have to do a hard reset of my computer to get a response.

Are there any fixes for this? Currently playing in full screen, everything on ultra, unlimited FPS and V-sync off. I've played about with settings but they also cause crashes. Would appreciate any help or news if a patch is going to fix the issue.

Hmmm...your NVIDIA graphic card is more than enough to run TW3 on ultra settings, however, you mentioned you need 'hard reset' which seems to me there might be hardware issue. Might want to follow the below checklists just to make sure:

1) Ensure your computer is showing the correct amount of RAM.
2) Check to see if your graphic card is overheating and try to ventilate it.
3) Re-seat your graphic card and make sure it's secure
4) Remove mods if any installed
5) Re-install TW3
6) Revert PhsyX to either 'Auto select' or 'GPU' if it's set to 'CPU'
7) Run the game in Lowest setting.

were you OC before that change?

But what is your CPU temp. GPU getting hotter can cause CPU to overheat in bad builds... probably not in your case as 60C is really good

---------- Updated at 01:16 PM ----------

You're still in white orchard? restart or just re-visiting? There is software like hwmonitor that can keep tabs on your GPU/CPU temp and see if that is the issue.
1- I didnt oc the card myself before. its gigabyte gtx 970 g1 its came up with oc version normaly works at 1392 mhz.
2- My cpu is i5 4690k i didint oc cpu either. Cpu temp is max 48 C with cooler master fans.
3-Im at novigard-velen.Ctds happens at the same place and completely random. Sometimes ctd just before cutscene sometimes just walking in the forest. I tried everything and only fixed the problem with taking gpu mhz to the 1290 and power limit to %110 with msi afterburner.

Last edited:
I havent got a single crash 80+ hours playing and then after 1.04 patch+newest nvidia drivers and latest dlc my game become unplayable. Every 5 minutes game crashes to deskop(audio continues background,i can swing my sword etc.) and then i had to downgrade my card by 100mhz. That seems solved the problem. But this is clearly not healthy for my card health so they need to fix this asap. Btw im using gtx 970 around 55-60 C max.

Try uninstall your graphic card driver and reinstall it back to see if it helps?

Try uninstall your graphic card driver and reinstall it back to see if it helps?
Nope didnt work. I also tried going back prew. drivers didnt work either. Also tried fixes at reddit(disable gameworks,hdmi audio drivers etc.) not worked. Only downgrading mhz and increasing power limit did the trick.

Nope didnt work. I also tried going back prew. drivers didnt work either. Also tried fixes at reddit(disable gameworks,hdmi audio drivers etc.) not worked. Only downgrading mhz and increasing power limit did the trick.

Are you able to play other high end games(e.q GTA V, Farcry 4 if you have) without issues? My suspicion is on your graphic card as you needed to lower its speed for it to work not so much on the game itself.

I have restarted :) Thank you i will look in to hwmonitor, however, i have buyed a MSI GTX 980 4GB :D waiting for it xD

I had a brief spell of crashes with my system after the recent DLC. (970 i5 2400 and 16GB RAM).

I since made some minor changes (increasing GC memory limits (and reducing frequency) and general memory budgets for textures. Also modified the 'dangle' physics from 700 to 100 which *vastly* improves the behaviour of necklaces etc, increased 'behaviour distances' and 'decal distances' and tweaked boat speeds from 8/10 to 4/5.

Since making these changes (basically following guidelines in the GC.ini and other files about "more is better", where appropriate)... haven't had any more crashes and slightly less obvious pop-in/drop out of people and details.

Could be placebo and a rash of unrelated errors (I did also place my case onto it's side in an effort to aid passive cooling of the GPU and CPU, though *most* temperature probes were reporting reasonable temperatures (and the one which was high may have been faulty, as it *always* reads high, even in idle mode))... Still I'm happier with it not crashing, and had a 'I fixed that' feeling... which was better than it merely randomly fixing itself, so I choose to believe it was related.

Are you able to play other high end games(e.q GTA V, Farcry 4 if you have) without issues? My suspicion is on your graphic card as you needed to lower its speed for it to work not so much on the game itself.
Played crysis 3 and dying light on ultra before never experience this kind of problems,i didnt experience with witcher 3 too but until after the latest patch and latest driver i started to get random crashes.

Top Bottom