Game freezing after around 15 minutes / sound keeps playing

+
Update: surprisingly I received a reply from CDPR asking for my DxDiag. I'm not very hopeful, nor was the reply very explanatory. Seemed like a standard (Copy & Paste) response.

Yeah I've tried that, sent DxDiag and crashes report to CDPR support.
But the only answer I've received as of now is to try these four steps :
1.Download and Install Microsoft Net Framework
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=30653
2.Download and Reinstall Microsoft Visual C ++ (all available)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003
3.Download and Install DirectX
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=35
4.Download and Install the latest Windows update.

I've tried those, but it didn't change anything for my crashes.

Yeah I've tried that, sent DxDiag and crashes report to CDPR support.
But the only answer I've received as of now is to try these four steps :

I've tried those, but it didn't change anything for my crashes.

Yup, just got a mail back:
Hello,

Please do the following:
1. Try updating your graphics card drivers (or clean install them, preferably) to version 352.86 from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
2. Set Windows Power plan to High Performance (Power Options in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options).
3. Install Microsoft .NET Framework.
4. Maybe you have some settings forced on your graphics device in NVIDIA Control Panel. If so then try to reset them.
5. Set your FPS limit to 'Unlimited' or '30', turn the V-Sync OFF and switch HBAO+ to SSAO.
6. Go to NVIDIA control panel -> Configure surround/physx and switch PhysX settings' Processor to CPU.
7. While in NVIDIA Control Panel:
a) Adjust image settings with preview -> Select 'Use the advanced 3D settings', click 'Take me there'
b) In Global Settings set:
- Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames to '1'
- Set the Power management mode to 'Prefer maximum performance'
- Activate V-Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel​
8. In case you have overclocked CPU or GPU, try reverting them to their factory settings.
9. If you're playing on Steam, try disabling Steam Overlay:
a) Click on Steam and click on the "Settings" button. Click on the "In-Game Settings" tab.
b) Uncheck the box next to "Enable Steam Community In-Game" and click OK.
c) Disable the Steam Overlay on specific games only by right-clicking on the game title, click on "Properties" and uncheck "Enable Steam Community In-Game" in the "General" tab.
10. If this doesn't solve the issue please try to override Steam client following these steps:
a) Open directory for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\bin\x64
b) Create a txt file, edit it with Notepad, so it reads <"witcher3.exe" -window> without <>
c) Save it as *.bat file. It's very important it's a .bat file
d) Use this file to run the game

​You can also try uninstalling GeForce Experience.​

If above solution doesn't help please try launching The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in clean boot mode. Here is how to perform clean boot - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135/​

Please bear in mind that mobile graphics cards are not officially supported.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,
Grzegorz Arwar

Their support is utterly useless, and they are just summing up some things which are mentioned on all the posts I've come across.
I'm getting very pissed at them. I don't think my next mail will be quite as polite...

Have the same issue here, nothing seems to fix it and i don't know what the actual problem is, because it's not an overheat. Patch 1.0.5 didn't fix the problem, maybe it will never be fixed. Shame on you developers for not giving any help and realeasing the game poorly optimised for some systems :huh:

If you are on PC the solution I found to this happening was to uninstall the game all it's files saves ect and install the game again then patch it to 1.03 only since then i've had a few problems with a necker spawn not spawning but so far that is all I've found in about 12-15 hours game play, as soon as I patch to 1.04 or 1.05 i get endless game breaking bugs.

I've submitted tickets, logs and made posts about these bugs but had 0 answers from CDPR about any of them and most are game breaking hell for a week I was getting "wrong file type" when trying to send in crash logs.

I played for 100+ hours in 1.03 and the game was fine a few minor bugs nothing game breaking, then 1.04 broke my game but it wasn't until i'd over written all my 1.03 saves that the problems arose. Any way I waited for 1.05 after posting my crash dump logs ect and 1.05 broke even more things, only solution role back to 1.03 and start a new game and hope 1.06 fixes the mess that came with 1.04 and 1.05.

Just found this thread and im dealing with the same problems as everyone else. Random crashes for no apparent reason. I'm not overheating or even lagging when it happens it just happens and I get booted to desktop. Least im not alone but it really sucks that i can't play the game for more than 30 min or less before it crashes.

setting frame rate to unlimited under graphics settings has fixed the freezing problem for me

I succeeded in eradicating the problem.

I think my graphic card GeForce 660 Ti is overclocking.
By using MSi Afterburner, I diminished the Core Clock and Memory Clock and augmented the Fan speed.
Now I can play without crashes.

Modifying our modified hardware setting isn't a permanent solution, especially if it was originally overclocked from the manufacturer. Other games can tolerate overclock, why TW3 can't be made so it can bear the overclock.

Modifying our modified hardware setting isn't a permanent solution, especially if it was originally overclocked from the manufacturer. Other games can tolerate overclock, why TW3 can't be made so it can bear the overclock.

This should not a problem at all. Wicher 3 has no business at all with regard to gpu settings. Witcher 3 has no business if you cranked everything up.

This problem is usually caused by hardware getting unstable or too hot, most likely cause is PSU. Check your settings, OC settings, etc. and most important check if there is too much dust in your PSU and if voltage is dropping on 12v rail ( there are quite few programs which can measure voltage on PSU ).

This problem is usually caused by hardware getting unstable or too hot, most likely cause is PSU. Check your settings, OC settings, etc. and most important check if there is too much dust in your PSU and if voltage is dropping on 12v rail ( there are quite few programs which can measure voltage on PSU ).

If this problem is caused by unstable hardware, how all other games can work perfectly without any crashes and freezes? I didn't see complete freeze of my PCs for many years, but after I started playing Witcher 3, I have to use Reset button even more often than Power ))

If this problem is caused by unstable hardware, how all other games can work perfectly without any crashes and freezes? I didn't see complete freeze of my PCs for many years, but after I started playing Witcher 3, I have to use Reset button even more often than Power ))

Well my friend thing is that hardly any game pushes hardware to it's limits as Witcher 3 does. I am quite sure that similar problems ( as described in this thread ) are caused by drop of voltage as i have mentioned above. If you can - just check it please. I understand that you may feel it should work as every other game does but ( edit ) but that is not how things function and i strongly believe it is hardware problem as described in my earlier post.

br

Last edited:
Well my friend thing is that hardly any game pushes hardware to it's limits as Witcher 3 does. I am quite sure that similar problems ( as described in this thread ) are caused by drop of voltage as i have mentioned above. If you can - just check it please. I understand that you may feel it should work as every other game does but ( edit ) but that is not how things function and i strongly believe it is hardware problem as described in my earlier post.

br

I'm 100% sure in my PSU (ZS-650) and other hardware (4670, gtx 980 etc), and I instantly log all values using aida64 and never seen any incorrect voltages or high temperatures. But somewhere I've read that NVidia is trying to correct the drivers for Witcher 3 to work on any systems, but not sure that this is the driver's issue - many people are saying that after patch 1.05 their PCs crashes and freezes more often than before. And CDPR are somewhy absolute quiet about this issue just like it don't exist at all

I'm 100% sure in my PSU (ZS-650) and other hardware (4670, gtx 980 etc), and I instantly log all values using aida64 and never seen any incorrect voltages or high temperatures. But somewhere I've read that NVidia is trying to correct the drivers for Witcher 3 to work on any systems, but not sure that this is the driver's issue - many people are saying that after patch 1.05 their PCs crashes and freezes more often than before. And CDPR are somewhy absolute quiet about this issue just like it don't exist at all

Make few graphic options lower in quality and check if it will hang again. If voltage on 12v rail doesn't drop too much then it is something else which makes problems. Don't get me wrong, by 'hardware issue' i don't say it's faulty hardware but errors like this are indeed related to voltage drops. Hopefully you will find solutions soon, gl with that.

PS

That is decent PSU which should handle things normally.

Make few graphic options lower in quality and check if it will hang again. If voltage on 12v rail doesn't drop too much then it is something else which makes problems. Don't get me wrong, by 'hardware issue' i don't say it's faulty hardware but errors like this are indeed related to voltage drops. Hopefully you will find solutions soon, gl with that.

PS

That is decent PSU which should handle things normally.
I've (and many other users) tried everything, including reducing quality and even resolution)) And I never seen my voltage below 12V, you can see it on screenshot of one of yesterday's reports. All values are ok, no voltage or temperature issues during the playing, but it can crash or freeze at any moment with any load - in the house or in the open place during the rain and wind
PS Two years I was choosing the PSU that will handle these things))

Attachments

• report.jpg
    report.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 39
Yeah, values are perfect there. Thanks for sharing picture, all clear now. I hope you will find solution soon, if i happen to get anything i will inform you.

br

Same problem here, crash every 5-20minutes. Only underclocking solved my issues, -20Mhz on core and -15Mhz on memory.

specs:
i5 3340@3,1GHz
Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 2GB
8GB Ram
Windows 8.1

After underlocking all works like a harm.

Got this exact problem too. Asus Strix GTX970.
As much as I hate to, I'm gonna have to try downclocking a bit from stock... :(

Top Bottom