Game frequently making windows 7 freeze up

+
wonders why people still use windows 7 -_- just do the upgrade and unlock dx12 you will save your self alot of frustration
Because Windows 10 is worse and moving onto it from 7 is a downgrade, not an upgrade.
Post automatically merged:

You're using a cracked version of Windows and can't get an upgrade to Windows 10 without buying it, can you? Did that for years, myself.
Because that's the ONLY reason people don't want to install 10, amirite?

FIY, I got Win7 on my desktop and WIn10 on my laptop. After first hand experience with it, I'd rather get raped by a syphilitic clown than have Win10 anywhere near my desktop

Last edited:
Because Windows 10 is worse and moving onto it from 7 is a downgrade, not an upgrade.
Post automatically merged:

Because that's the ONLY reason people don't want to install 10, amirite?

FIY, I got Win7 on my desktop and WIn10 on my laptop. After first hand experience with it, I'd rather get raped by a syphilitic clown than have Win10 anywhere near my desktop
what will you do when game devs decide to officailly stop supporting windows 7 all together ? the day will come you know. tech is not going to stay the same forever. i also think its more that people just refuse to learn the new tech.

what will you do when game devs decide to officailly stop supporting windows 7 all together ? the day will come you know. tech is not going to stay the same forever. i also think its more that people just refuse to learn the new tech.
No one with win7 would buy a game that doesn't support it.
If i was to go buy a machine thats decades old for nostalgia i expect the software minimum requirements to adhere regardless of how old it is.

what will you do when game devs decide to officailly stop supporting windows 7 all together ?
Then I'll finally begin my long journey through my enormous back catalog.
i also think its more that people just refuse to learn the new tech.
Mi scusi? What is there to learn in Win10 compared to 7? A more restrictive interface with less user customization? A start menu so shitty I made it a point to pay Stardock for a program that replaces it with a non-shitty one? That the entire thing is made for tablets, not desktops? "learn the new tech"... on the contrary, the older the tech, the more it requires you to know something in order to use it effectively and the more you learn with it.

Then I'll finally begin my long journey through my enormous back catalog.

Mi scusi? What is there to learn in Win10 compared to 7? A more restrictive interface with less user customization? A start menu so shitty I made it a point to pay Stardock for a program that replaces it with a non-shitty one? That the entire thing is made for tablets, not desktops? "learn the new tech"... on the contrary, the older the tech, the more it requires you to know something in order to use it effectively and the more you learn with it.
Why are you using the start menu? Just hit the window key and start typing what program you want and it pulls it up instantly. I honestly cannot remember the last time that I even use the start menu.
As far as customisation and everything else it has a lot more you just need to learn how to figure it out.

Why are you using the start menu? Just hit the window key and start typing what program you want and it pulls it up instantly.
Because the start menu is convenient and I can put, you know, folders in there if I want and have everything tightly and neatly ordered without cluttering my Desktop with quick links to folders and such. And also because I prefer using the mouse rather than... doing what you described. Also, because I friggin' feel like it.
As far as customisation and everything else it has a lot more you just need to learn how to figure it out.
A lot more than what? Certainly not more than 7, I can tell you that for nothing.

Last edited:
The game runs terribly on Windows 7. It was completely unsatisfactory for me so I ended up refunding it. If it stated Win 10 as a minimum requirement I just wouldn't have bought it.

When I can run every other game that lists "Windows 7" as being supported at 60+ FPS on MAX settings (Doom Eternal, etc) then Cyberpunk comes along and I can barely eke out 20-30 FPS on MEDIUM settings, that's a sign that the game is very poorly optimised. Their implementation of the DX12 emulation kit supplied by MS is likely the cause of the performance problems. Why they didn't just launch with a DX11/DX12 mode toggle I will never know. Would have fixed a lot of trouble with last gen consoles as well. Or failing that, just go full blown next gen and make the game only for next gen consoles and Win 10 PC's. Either would have been fine.

I'm starting a new job in January and considering revamping my setup (which will undoubtedly mean going to Windows 10, I have a retail copy of Win 7 64 Ultimate so I think my key still lets me activate Win 10) but to be honest, I've got a comfy setup right now and I've got too much to do IRL (and too big of a backlog) to give too much of a shit about one game. Especially about one that, from what I read, is basically a bare-bones RPG in a visual novels clothing.

EDIT:- To all those going "You have no reason to still be on an unsupported OS!", well, you're missing the point. By a country mile. If the game lists an OS as being supported by the game then as a product it's expected to work out of the box on that platform. This is CDPR's cock up, not the consumers.

Last edited:
The game runs terribly on Windows 7. It was completely unsatisfactory for me so I ended up refunding it. If it stated Win 10 as a minimum requirement I just wouldn't have bought it.

When I can run every other game that lists "Windows 7" as being supported at 60+ FPS on MAX settings (Doom Eternal, etc) then Cyberpunk comes along and I can barely eke out 20-30 FPS on MEDIUM settings, that's a sign that the game is very poorly optimised. Their implementation of the DX12 emulation kit supplied by MS is likely the cause of the performance problems. Why they didn't just launch with a DX11/DX12 mode toggle I will never know. Would have fixed a lot of trouble with last gen consoles as well. Or failing that, just go full blown next gen and make the game only for next gen consoles and Win 10 PC's. Either would have been fine.

I'm starting a new job in January and considering revamping my setup (which will undoubtedly mean going to Windows 10, I have a retail copy of Win 7 64 Ultimate so I think my key still lets me activate Win 10) but to be honest, I've got a comfy setup right now and I've got too much to do IRL (and too big of a backlog) to give too much of a shit about one game. Especially about one that, from what I read, is basically a bare-bones RPG in a visual novels clothing.

EDIT:- To all those going "You have no reason to still be on an unsupported OS!", well, you're missing the point. By a country mile. If the game lists an OS as being supported by the game then as a product it's expected to work out of the box on that platform. This is CDPR's cock up, not the consumers.
what is your current specs ?

Ooops, my bad.

I thought this was "GAME FREQUENTLY MAKING WINDOWS 7 FREEZE UP" thread.
Not "WHY DON'T YOU GO USE WIN10" thread.

I do not use Win10.
And will not unless I absolutely back-to-the-wall, stuck-in-a corner have to.
Was Win10 given as a minimum spec for, say, AC Valhalla, and Watch Dogs Legion, Far Cry 6, all games that I am interested in playing?
Yes.
Am I converting to Win10 just to play them?
No.
As a result, am I buying them?
No.
Why? Because I have been informed properly and I made a choice.
So, will, I ever play them? Meeh, we'll see.

Was Win7 given as a minimum spec for, Cyberpunk 2077, a game that I've been interested in playing?
Yes.
Am I converting to Win 10 to play it?
No.
Why? Because I have been informed that changing to Win10 would not be necessary.
As a result, am I buying it?
Yes (For clarity: I did not buy it. I was gifted one.)
So, will, I ever be able to play it properly?... We'll see.

Am I at this point feeling like I was misled? Absolutely.
Am I expecting better service and results to the point that the game is at least playable without crashing on me every 60 - 90 minutes?
Yes. Absolutely, definitely, without a doubt.

I hope some of you that somehow do not get the ethics behind promising and delivering what you promise get the picture now, and stop behaving like Win10 salespeople.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that don't have it. The game requires Direct X 12. It's in the minimum requirements.

1608684397770.png

Also. A lot of people in this thread could stand to remember the first rule of the forums is to always treat others with kindness and respect. If you can't discuss things nicely, dont post. Couple posts deleted and several edited.

Last edited:
For those that don't have it. The game requires Direct X 12. It's in the minimum requirements.

View attachment 11108549
Also. A lot of people in this thread could stand to remember the first rule of the forums is to always treat others with kindness and respect. If you can't discuss things nicely, dont post. Couple posts deleted and several edited.

You understand that it makes no difference whether it's listed as a minimum requirement when it also lists Win 7 as being supported, right? There is no standalone DX12 package for Win 7. Yet, the image above clearly lists Win 7 as being supported. This is because CDPR are using the DX12 emulation kit supplied to them by Microsoft to get it running on Win 7, therefore the duty is on them to implement the code effectively.

The only way this would matter would be if you were using a GPU card that wasn't DX12 ready, but the minimum required GPU's listed are all DX12 ready cards, despite the fact that trying to run this game in it's current state, on low settings, with the bare minimum requirements would still net you about 5 FPS.

The long and short of it is that the minimum requirements for the game are incredibly misleading.

Last edited:
By the way, patch v1.05 has improved my game performance a bit. Last night I played almost 3 hours continuosly (that is, almost 180 minutes without the previous 60-90min crash period), without overclocking my AMD GPU and getting the same results as I did when overclocked. (And why the game still gets closer to crashing the more I use the ingame menus, is still a mystery.)

And, waddaya kno', I still do not use Windows 10! o_O

Point is, obviously a stable game performance has been possible on win 7, if the necessary work gets done.

I am still around. Waiting for more improvements. ;)

Top Bottom