Game Geralt vs Book Geralt

+
Game Geralt vs Book Geralt

While we all have to admit CDP did an oustanding job at bringing Sapkowski's imagination into games. The atmosphere is spot on, the music absolutely fits, the characters immediately reconizable... there are still some differences between the main protagonists. Here I'll try to sum up a few key differences between Geralt in the game and Geralt as described by Mr. Sapkowski:

Book Geralt isn't as buff as Game Geralt, in fact, he's being described as rather "lanky", "slim", or full of sinews. Milva, upon seeing the witcher's upper body while he was resting in Brokilon, thought to herself that he looks like a proper man, albeit rather skinny, and full of sinew.

Book Geralt's signs are basic at the very best. The signs in the games are just beyond OP. No mage in the books has the capacity to mind control anyone, yet Game Geralt does it with ease with Axii. Aard signs are used to throw opponents off balance in the books, sure, but never multiple foes at once, and never with such magnitude as found in the games. Igni can be used to light up fire and burn ropes, but that's it (although we can argue that the power of Igni and Aard are for gameplay purposes only). I think the most realistic portrayal of Igni in combat is when Lambert used it to blind 3 Wild Hunt warriors during the Battle of Kaer Morhen.

Book Geralt can get beat and does get beaten fairly often. He was crippled and spared by Vilgefortz. During his fight with the mage Rience and his 4 lackeys (professionally hired assassins), Geralt was mortally wounded and would have bled to death if not for Shani and Philippa's help. In the newest book, Season of Storm, Geralt was beaten to bloody pulp by a female guard-captain (think Brienna of Tarth size) and her 4 other, also female, "co-workers" in an unarmed fight. Judging from the cutscenes and the mainstory found in TW 2, Geralt had no trouble slaying 2 witchers in a 1v2 fight. This is a feat I don't think book Geralt is capable of replicating.

Personality wise, book Geralt is rather sulky, gets offended easily and has somewhat a dosage of self-pity. He repeats the phrase "i'm just a simple, dumb witcher" a lot. And he does sulk from the his friends from time to time. Game Geralt, well, I'd say he's less dramatic in that department.

Anyways, those are all the differences I can find. Feel free to add yours. Personally I like both Geralts. Each has his own strengths and weaknesses, and I don't think we'll find any clear conclusion as to who is better.

seems to me that book geralt is too weak

he is the main hero and a witcher which means he got senses and abilitis other normal humans dont have

so i dont get it how he lost to 5 females?maybe because they outnumbered him and probably wasnt regular females ,they trained pretty hard..

also about vilgefortz fight-he used magic to be faster and stronger then any witcher -he was the strongest mage alive
so its obvious geralt wont be able to kill him without help-so i dont get your point here...

I agree about the differences to an extent. I especially agree with the bit about signs. However, I think that just come's with the territory of this being a video game. There is an expectation in RPGs for progression in the player characters powers. So I just think of it as a necessary inaccuracy. At the same time, Geralt is woefully under powered when it comes to swordplay at the start of the game. Such is the nature of adapting a story to video game format.

I think "book Geralt get's beaten fairly often" while not inaccurate due to the "fairly" qualifier, does oversell your point a little.
He also attacks a fortress full of people in the books with four companions and succeeds at pretty much killing them all - with casualties of course.
Furthermore,
game Geralt gets frozen twice (both by the Wild Hunt), knocked out once (in Hearts of Stone), can be tricked by a vampire (in Carnal Sins), and has to be saved by Yennefer in a portal at least twice
And those failures are if you do just about everything right in the game. The nature of a video game allows for reloading and etc, which makes the whole failure thing less likely. It's the nature of the story medium.

Game Geralt is a little less sulky than book Geralt. However, you can pick sulky options every now and then in the games. I think the very nature of having multiple choices in conversations makes it less likely you'll have a consistently sulky character. Plus, I think the circumstances in the last few books (after time of contempt), called for him to be generally sulkier.
His lover was missing. His adopted daughter was missing and he was on an apparently hopeless journey to find her.
While it's a somewhat similar situation in the games, it never seems quite as helpless in the games, because everywhere Geralt goes, whil it seems like Ciri is on the run, Geralt continues to hear about how she can take care of herself in the game. So the situation probably doesn't call for quite as much sulkiness.

I prefer book Geralt to game Geralt generally, but I think most of the changes are understandable (if not inevitable) based on the fact that this is a video game and not a novel or short story.

When I said Book Geralt gets beaten fairly often, I don't mean he gets beat in a fair fight. Usually it results from him having to fight against multiple opponents, or opponents that are vastly stronger than he expected. I'm sure with proper preparations, he'll fare much better. The point is, I think game Geralt is an overall better combatant than book Geralt. After all, the idea of most RPG games is the sense of empowerment, giving the players the feeling of being something strong.

One difference that hit me immediately when I played the first Witcher game was Geralt's voice. In the first short story, "The Witcher", Geralt's voice is being described as very unpleasant. Also, his smile is often referred to as ugly or malicious. Game Geralt has - in German - a very nice, manly voice that's not unpleasant at all. And his smile is neither ugly nor malicious.

I think the more powerful signs in the games and the fact that Geralt isn't as sulky as in the books can be attributed to a very simple reason: People need to like this game and the main character in order to stick with it and finish it - especially people who haven't read the books. You need a main character that is also fun to be with. And it just wouldn't make sense to give players five signs without an opportunity to do something more with them then light a candle or knock down an opponent. It's a game. If I'm given a sign like Igni, I expect the game to let me mess around with it and set opponents on fire :)

sv3672

Forum veteran
The point is, I think game Geralt is an overall better combatant than book Geralt.

It depends on the player and the difficulty setting. After all, book Geralt is never killed in fair combat, but it can happen several times in the games (or not), they just allow the player to continue after loading a save.

It depends on the player and the difficulty setting. After all, book Geralt is never killed in fair combat, but it can happen several times in the games (or not), they just allow the player to continue after loading a save.

When discussing such topics, I'd rather avoid all the gameplay context, ie. when Geralt is influenced by the player. Rather, I'd stick to the cutscenes of the mainstory. In this case, game Geralt is exempt from player's mistakes, as those aren't cannon.

sidv88

Forum regular
Game Geralt's fighting style differs drastically from Book Geralt--Game Geralt does way too much rolling and over-relies on Quen. :p (Joking, but not really--I think a lot of players had their Geralts roll around a lot in their playthroughs).

Ironically, the Witcher tv show that aired in 2002 had other witchers criticizing Geralt due to his use of "tricks" and evasive maneuvers in fights, which they felt was against witcher codes or something like that. I don't think this ever happened in the books, nor is Geralt specifically mentioned in the books as using a lot of tricks and evasive action in his fighting style.

Scryar

Forum veteran
Book Geralt can get beat and does get beaten fairly often. He was crippled and spared by Vilgefortz. During his fight with the mage Rience and his 4 lackeys (professionally hired assassins), Geralt was mortally wounded and would have bled to death if not for Shani and Philippa's help. In the newest book, Season of Storm, Geralt was beaten to bloody pulp by a female guard-captain (think Brienna of Tarth size) and her 4 other, also female, "co-workers" in an unarmed fight. Judging from the cutscenes and the mainstory found in TW 2, Geralt had no trouble slaying 2 witchers in a 1v2 fight. This is a feat I don't think book Geralt is capable of replicating.

You cherry pick a lot. Just like in the books, games Geralt is far from being invincible

Just from my memory: (I'm sure there is more)
Witcher 1:
- after the fight against the professor and Azar Javed in act 2, he is badly wounded and would have died if Triss didn't save/heal him
- at the end of act 3, Triss had to teleport him out, otherwise Adda and the guards would have killed him

Witcher 2:
- Letho defeats Geralt in the elven ruins
- Saskia had to transfrom into a Dragon to save Geralt after Dethmold and the Kaedweni soldiers knocked him out
- Roche and Ves had to save Geralt from being beheaded by that Nilfgaardian mage in act 2

Witcher 3:
- during reason of state, Radovid orders his men to kill him. He is surrounded by soldiers and doesn't have his weapons. Roche had to save him again
- as mentioned above. He get's frozen two times by the Wild Hunt and could have been easily killed in his helpless condition

Last edited:
In my opinion there is a difference in... shall we call it - combat skills. When reading a book you get impression that he is beaten to often. On the other hand in real combat he performs better than in game - 95% of opponents fall after single blow and really few enemies are capable of blocking his attacks. In game quite a number of enemies can make your life hard, especially at the beginning. Combat in books generally looks more tactical than in game - I really wish there was mode when you can hit specific parts of body to achieve something special (bleeding, chopping hand etc,).

Other difference is a backpack. In game you can have many items (oils, elexirs, bombs etc.) at your disposal and you feel generally more capable then book Geralt who very often wears nothing more than jacket, trousers, shoes and a sword. There is also a difference in money. Book Geralt was a poor man by any standards. Game Geralt could make a lot of profit simply by trading swords and armors from fallen enemies. In general books make impression that there is always a shortage of something, game gives opportunity to build your stockpile of resources/money pretty fast.

...also game Geralt doesn't have a problem with a knee ;-)

Anyways, those are all the differences I can find. Feel free to add yours. Personally I like both Geralts. Each has his own strengths and weaknesses, and I don't think we'll find any clear conclusion as to who is better.

Interesting - I did not know that the Witcher signs were that bad and that useless. I thought it is at least usable magic as seen in every fantasy movies. :)
Well.......... for better gameplay purposes some changes had been made.
But thanks for that thread, was very interesting to read. Oh and you forgot to mention that Geralt is also described as "young, fine pale skin and milky-white hair."

Oh and you forgot to mention that Geralt is also described as "young, fine pale skin and milky-white hair."
Well, he does look a lot younger in the first Witcher game :) And he's definitely paler. As much as I like Geralt in the third game, I think that the first game came closer to portraying him according to Sapkoswki's descriptions - well, apart from the voice and the ugly smile :)

Book Geralt is weaker than game Geralt and game Geralt is probably weaker than comic Geralt from Dark Horse Comics, indeed he can cut off a Werewolf's leg with a single hit with IGNI, cut off a Fiend's head with a single blow or strong enough to restrain a direct attack from a huge monster that according with the size it could weight 60 tons. Game Geralt or, as he's often call, "composite Geralt" must be more powerful and badass, otherwise he would be too much boring for a game and for a comic books series. Novels are a totally different media, but a game and a comic books series it's different, they needs a lot more entertaining, a lot more action scenes. Probably the upcoming Netflix series will be something in the middle, a series, especially these days, the audience want see a lot of action and a badass character. Sapkowski's Geralt can't just work outside his novels, he can't works today, he could work for the 90s but not that much today with new standard we have. No doubt if Geralt was a Marvel character would have been a much more badass character than Sapkowski's version, and, frankly, it would be completely fine, in the lore he's a superhuman mutant, and honestly, he's a little too much weak if we compare how he's presented by Sapkowski himself and how he was portrayed by the same Sapkowski. I'm starting to think that maybe Sapkowski is not good enough to write action character and portray abilities and powers, but I'm not surprised, even several DC/Marvel authors aren't good to do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom