Game is highly frustrating for new players

+
Game is highly frustrating for new players

I’m a low ranking player and I’ve seen so many people play the same decks which becomes very boring, the game relies more on the cards you have than skill, it’s very rare to see a low ranking player do really well on a FPS game but not on this game.

Players can mil existing cards to make one good deck usually one that they have seen on the internet as well as a play guide or one a higher ranking players uses that they have seen on twitch or youtube. These people only care about cheap wins with one good deck they don’t care about collecting the cards or playing with multiple factions. Players should not be allowed to mil cards they started with or cards they have won from finishing the single player challenges.

There are also higher ranking players who are using second accounts which is also annoying.

What faction are you playing? As f2p player you should definitely focus on one faction.
If you do that, you usually have a fair chance of winning and even ranking up. But some factions are definitely harder to play than others.

If you want to experiment with other decks, it usually helps to play with friends.

Well you're playing a collectible card game be realistic with your goals or expectations, because other people have the option to simply buy everything, i wanted a full collection so i spend 500 hours in to my first gwent season and had a real blast trying to achieve this, right now i have every playable card to my liking and i'm already rank 19 so i'm set for the upcoming season, again all about goals/expactation that you try to achieve in your own way, my 2cents is that you cannot excepct to have certain things handed to you whenever you feel entitelted to, put in work.

KowaiKokoro;n9602561 said:
Well you're playing a collectible card game be realistic with your goals or expectations, because other people have the option to simply buy everything, i wanted a full collection so i spend 500 hours in to my first gwent season and had a real blast trying to achieve this, right now i have every playable card to my liking and i'm already rank 19 so i'm set for the upcoming season, again all about goals/expactation that you try to achieve in your own way, my 2cents is that you cannot excepct to have certain things handed to you whenever you feel entitelted to, put in work.

That's my point tho people can obtain a good deck very early even without paying, you can simply mil all other cards and use the scraps to buy a good netdeck, for me personally I wouldn't do that because I want to collect all the cards which means me taking a lot of losses

FORSAKEN_ESF;n9602641 said:
That's my point tho people can obtain a good deck very early even without paying, you can simply mil all other cards and use the scraps to buy a good netdeck, for me personally I wouldn't do that because I want to collect all the cards which means me taking a lot of losses

Anyone who does this in one season, is left very disappointed come the next patch, when he's left with 5 usable cards, and the rest have been completely changed, and suddenly a faction he milled to the ground becomes relevant, and guess who doesn't have enough scraps to make a descent new deck?
Believe me, you'll be fine. It just takes some patience. I remember when I started out, I completely focused not on winning a match, but on completing my dailies. (I still won most of my matches even against higher levels, but that had to do with the fact I had a very good teacher) After a bit of grinding, you get to a point where you forget there ever was a time when you didn't have 3 of each bronze card. And on one hand you have enough scraps to create some good cards that'll take you to the next level, and on the other hand, you'll still have a fun challenge in completing your entire collection.
hang in there, and good luck!

I am not honestly sure what your point is. Sure you can mill the starter decks to make a good deck. So? Next patch it will be irrelevant. Learned that the hard way.
:youdontsay:
Some people are only interested in one or two decks. Myself I have always played monsters. The other decks don't interest me. Why is that a problem? I am enjoying myself. How does this stop your enjoyment?

Are you upset that that this game isn't a fps? It's a tiny bit more cerebral than that. Not much more after the last patch, granted.

Do you feel that getting deck ideas from the interwebs is cheating and unfair? Well news for you here... That's been happening forever, since the dawn of the internet and card games in general. Also anyone with half a brain and an understanding of the game will very quickly figure out what works and what doesn't. It really doesn't take the internet to work out the new meta.

Or was this a rant at some perceived injustice? In that case rant away good sir!:victory:

ArianeGrosmont;n9603101 said:
Anyone who does this in one season, is left very disappointed come the next patch...

Except that (if you are playing consistently) you'll get a lot of cards from kegs and you'll relatively quickly will have cards for at least one more viable deck. At least this is what happened to me, but I've managed to catch the Closed Beta, so I don't know how it will work with all the new cards. I think like 70/80% of the vanilla cards you start with are useless in the ongoing meta. Still you can purchase and the starter pack - you'll get pretty good stuff for a really low price and it can help you a bunch with choosing which faction to play (the one you'll have the most viable cards for, will be my advise). I think I got like 3 Silver Cards from my 10 kegs, 2 for sure and a fair amount of Epic ones.

I've jumped back in after the closed beta and the game is very boring without cards that have synergy (golds and silvers especially). I forgot how frustrating it was. Six rounds a day max for another few weeks I guess.

FORSAKEN_ESF;n9601731 said:
I’m a low ranking player and I’ve seen so many people play the same decks which becomes very boring, the game relies more on the cards you have than skill, it’s very rare to see a low ranking player do really well on a FPS game but not on this game.
People play the same decks because Gwent is rather small. It has 5 factions + a pool of neutral cards. And there's only like 300 cards in total when you exclude some of the triplicate cards and premium versions. Then you have a pool of cards that are nigh useless in actual play. You do the math...

For most factions, there's 1-3 builds that are workable. So if you see a certain leader, you pretty much know what strategy and cards they are using.

Gwent is simply too small at the moment for large variety. It's changing, but very, VERY slowly.

Also, don't worry about losses. Even the "best" players have a 60% W/L ratio. That means they lose nearly 1/2 of their games.

gigabomb;n9603481 said:
I've jumped back in after the closed beta and the game is very boring without cards that have synergy (golds and silvers especially). I forgot how frustrating it was. Six rounds a day max for another few weeks I guess.

It doesn't take long to collect enough scraps to craft silvers and during the first few levels the standard golds are usually enough.

devivre;n9604291 said:
It doesn't take long to collect enough scraps to craft silvers and during the first few levels the standard golds are usually enough.

You say that, but it is frustrating when you are playing decently at very low level and people just slap down end game golds. We are allowed to be frustrated when a level 6 slaps down merrigold's hailstorm and two gold weathers.

On the positive side it allows you to get used to planning around commander's horn and scorch because almost everyone uses them.

Last edited:
gigabomb;n9604421 said:
You say that, but it is frustrating when you are playing decently at very low level and people just slap down end game golds. We are allowed to be frustrated when a level 6 slaps down merrigold's hailstorm and two gold weathers.

On the positive side it allows you to get used to planning around commander's horn and scorch because almost everyone uses them.

I'm aware that some players have pretty complete deck. I've started playing on PS4 a month ago and sometimes there were level 5 players with Shani, Dijkstra, Trollololo and so on, Even these matches were often winnable, though. Anyhow, I don't play that often on PS4 but still made it to level 15 and rank 15 there.

Yeaaaaah Gwent is filled with netdecking idiots. It's not always this bad though. The current state of the game isn't very fun honestly. It's just weather spam/Merigold's Hailstorm. Really depends on the meta. I mostly play in casual and I still see people using the same decks. It's awful.

njmcshane;n9603261 said:
I am not honestly sure what your point is. Sure you can mill the starter decks to make a good deck. So? Next patch it will be irrelevant. Learned that the hard way.
:youdontsay:
Some people are only interested in one or two decks. Myself I have always played monsters. The other decks don't interest me. Why is that a problem? I am enjoying myself. How does this stop your enjoyment?

Are you upset that that this game isn't a fps? It's a tiny bit more cerebral than that. Not much more after the last patch, granted.

Do you feel that getting deck ideas from the interwebs is cheating and unfair? Well news for you here... That's been happening forever, since the dawn of the internet and card games in general. Also anyone with half a brain and an understanding of the game will very quickly figure out what works and what doesn't. It really doesn't take the internet to work out the new meta.

Or was this a rant at some perceived injustice? In that case rant away good sir!:victory:

Point being that if you couldn't mil starting cards then people couldn't create netdecks unless they paid for them and you would see less netdecking at low ranks making the game more fun!

The point about FPS was that games like FPS the low ranking players are usually bad because higher players have more experience and more skill, yes there are exepctions to this. However it doesn't seem to be the case for this game as low ranking players can mil cards to make a netdeck making them harder to beat and boring playing against the same decks all the time. (FPS was just an example that came to mind but other PVP games will apply).

FORSAKEN_ESF;n9604791 said:
Point being that if you couldn't mil starting cards then people couldn't create netdecks unless they paid for them and you would see less netdecking at low ranks making the game more fun...

I see the point for that and in my opinion it should be this way. There is a restriction now to not be able to mill till you get to lvl 5, I think it was, but the option not to be able to mill your Common Cards, until you have extras of them, sounds really fair to me, especially for the new players and with the expanding Cards pool. Starting Golds and Silvers - do whatever you want with them, but the Common Cards should be, like, untouchable and also they should be good enough, that you'll always want to have at least few of them in your decks.

Also, after all, this game should attract new players and not disgust them because they are being slaughtered whenever they try to play.

Players can mil existing cards to make one good deck usually one that they have seen on the internet as well as a play guide or one a higher ranking players uses that they have seen on twitch or youtube. These people only care about cheap wins with one good deck they don’t care about collecting the cards or playing with multiple factions. Players should not be allowed to mil cards they started with or cards they have won from finishing the single player challenges.

There are also higher ranking players who are using second accounts which is also annoying.

Compared to other card games, the current business model for Gwent is quite good. Received 20 kegs from closed beta and I am currently level 18 (rank 15) without spending money or putting too much effort into it (playing for a month or so). Currently I have 3 competitve decks (Monster and 2 ST decks) and working to complete other 2 deck (NR and SK). Craft key and versatile cards (but only craft silver and gold cards, with silver first), then construct your decks accordingly.

I’m a low ranking player and I’ve seen so many people play the same decks which becomes very boring, the game relies more on the cards you have than skill,
welcome to card games; don't forget the luck

A) I’m a low ranking player and I’ve seen so many people play the same decks which becomes very boring
B) the game relies more on the cards you have than skill
C) it’s very rare to see a low ranking player do really well on a FPS game but not on this game.

D) Players can mil existing cards to make one good deck usually one that they have seen on the internet as well as a play guide or one a higher ranking players uses that they have seen on twitch or youtube.
E) These people only care about cheap wins with one good deck they don’t care about collecting the cards or playing with multiple factions.
F) Players should not be allowed to mil cards they started with or cards they have won from finishing the single player challenges.

A) That's how CCG's works. If you play ANY card game, there are better decks that are netdecked and you see them a lot. If you dislike this, CCG's are not for you.
B) Completly false and clearly shows the fact that you still have much to learn
C) Define well. I suck at fps but i've had my fair share of great games, even in comp. As such you can do good on occasions if you are new/unskilled, but don't expect to progress much if you don't hone your skill, just like in everything eles in life. If you think in gwent wallet buy skill you are seriously mistaken
D) I fail to see the problem here
E) Again the problem is? If you want to win you play the most competitive decks. If you want to have fun, casual is there for a reason (even though you'll still face some netdeck there, but at a lower chance). If you pick ranked you should expect people to bring in their best deck?
F) Why? It's actually punishing for them, because this game is so generous that you can easily craft a full netdeck in 2-3 weeks of playing without milling anything that isn't a duplicate. If you go for tier 2 every day (a couple of hour max) you get 14 packs per week, not counting any mid-tier reward AND gg rewards AND level up/rank up rewards. Plus the end of the seasons rewards.
Oh and everyone have the right to do whatever they want with their game, as long it's legit (aka no cheating/hacking)

FORSAKEN_ESF;n9604791 said:
Point being that if you couldn't mil starting cards then people couldn't create netdecks unless they paid for them and you would see less netdecking at low ranks making the game more fun!

The point about FPS was that games like FPS the low ranking players are usually bad because higher players have more experience and more skill, yes there are exepctions to this. However it doesn't seem to be the case for this game as low ranking players can mil cards to make a netdeck making them harder to beat and boring playing against the same decks all the time. (FPS was just an example that came to mind but other PVP games will apply).

You see, I think you have missed something here, if new players couldn't mill decks, then they would leave a lot quicker. Killing the game. Why? Because it would be impossible to stay competitive against other players. Being slaughtered the 15th time in a row by someone 5 or 6 levels higher with no chance of winning because you haven't been lucky with barrels guarantees frustration and resentment.

A mill mechanic is needed so everyone has a chance at cards they want not just a lucky few.

njmcshane;n9605891 said:
... Being slaughtered the 15th time in a row by someone 5 or 6 levels higher with no chance of winning because you haven't been lucky with barrels guarantees frustration and resentment...

Err... as far as I see, there is frustration and resentment about the same thing right now. I also have an other profile from work and I can assure it is exactly like that, often not able to win even a round, thus I play extremely rarely. I think restricting to milling will help especially new-NEW players to built and learn the game's mechanics better than "CHARGE THE TOP NETDECKS!" right away.

Of course, the ones that buy kegs will have advantage, but, hey - that's why they are paying.

Top Bottom