Game is highly frustrating for new players

+
partci;n9606571 said:
Err... as far as I see, there is frustration and resentment about the same thing right now. I also have an other profile from work and I can assure it is exactly like that, often not able to win even a round, thus I play extremely rarely. I think restricting to milling will help especially new-NEW players to built and learn the game's mechanics better than "CHARGE THE TOP NETDECKS!" right away.

Of course, the ones that buy kegs will have advantage, but, hey - that's why they are paying.
People nowdays have zero patience. If they can't win from day 1 they complain the game is p2w. I've started gwent in CB when the reward system was garbage, since you only get rewards by winning a game, the starter decks were sht (no golds btw). It took me 1 week (!!!) to go from level 1 to level 3, since my winrate was like 30%.
And in this very forum i've one simple complaint, that reward system needed to improve (which happened thankfully). I never cryed because i've lost many games.

You can either play to win, or play just to have fun. If you're playing to win, you have to remember that everyone else playing to win is going to use everything at their disposal to win. They're going to copy the best decks, play the most abusive cards, and mill a faction they don't use in order to make their one competitive deck. You can either join them, or just play for fun and not worry about it.

The problem is that low level players are sometimes forced to play against strong decks. So they are going to lose a lot to start. But rewards are given for winning rounds not matches. So its possible to still get dailies without having to get a lot of wins. Sure it takes time, but for f2p people its always gonna be a grind. Thw payoff is worth it though. In a month's time its possible to complete a faction or two. Just depends on the time put in. But compared to other CCGs the reward system is very generous

A friend recently started playing with an Eredin Wild Hunt deck which can be turned into something decent with little to no effort. He already buildt a dwarven deck and a Skellige Selfwound deck and is not even at level 10. I just gave some advice regarding card picks from the kegs.
I suggest focussing on what you have and use it instead of what the other have and you don't. A loss as newbie should not annoy you, it should teach you.

The recent Exp Boost from challenges gave me 4 kegs, pretty sweet for a newbie! Along with the 2 kegs a day and free extra keg from the Ale event I dunno why you should struggle. In fact learning the game is better, don't want to craft something before you know what playstyle suits you, might make you regret it.

Mnorojo;n9613591 said:
The problem is that low level players are sometimes forced to play against strong decks. So they are going to lose a lot to start. But rewards are given for winning rounds not matches. So its possible to still get dailies without having to get a lot of wins. Sure it takes time, but for f2p people its always gonna be a grind. Thw payoff is worth it though. In a month's time its possible to complete a faction or two. Just depends on the time put in. But compared to other CCGs the reward system is very generous
This may be against the rules or whatever, but if I'm playing Casual and I see a newbie, I'll play a bit then forfeit on the last round. You can always tell, because they don't quite have silvers that match their deck. Like a random Octvist and a single Crone thrown out or something.

arubino99;n9627241 said:
This may be against the rules or whatever, but if I'm playing Casual and I see a newbie, I'll play a bit then forfeit on the last round. You can always tell, because they don't quite have silvers that match their deck. Like a random Octvist and a single Crone thrown out or something.

Good man! See TC, there are people that let you win, hows that for a good community?

Many do not seem to realize that just milling onceper patch, and only the cards that are sold at the price of their purchase, is enough to buy a new deck. A modified gold sold is already +800, to complete a deck with the resources left will cost between 1500 and 3000 big max. It's not rocket science. Do not buy the tier 1 deck in the nerf visor just for breaking some low rank, prefer a good tiers 2 and you are ok.

arubino99;n9627241 said:

On the contrary, I think that's quite a noble thing to do to get new players on more even ground. I wonder if there should be a mechanic that that rewards both players for such. i.e. The new player gets the scraps and rank for the "win", but the advanced player gets "Honor" or something that can be traded in for other goodies (like a free keg every now and then).

I'm all for these things that reward sportsmanship while still allowing cutthroat play.

Beeing frustrating for new players is something that all card games have. To be good in a card game also requiers to have a lot of cards and this might take a while.
So i think this is just the nature of the game and new players will have to take the beating, as ugly as it sounds.

New player here as well. I play Gwent for six days now and I can totally NOT confirm your observations.
The reward structure of this game is incredible. You get so many kegs and scraps for simply playing the game, win or loss doesn´t really matter.
The fact that you can mill anything, including the free starter legendaries, paired with relatively cheap and effective metadecks gives new players easy access to ranked play.
Compare that to Hearthstone for example, where not only do you get nearly nothing as a new player (which also means you cannot craft anything impactful) but all the metadecks require a bunch of epics and legendaries to be competitive even at low ranks. The dailies require wins only, which means you don´t get rewarded for playing. 18 months ago you could still craft a zoo deck pretty early, but that archetype isn´t sufficient for anything above r20 - so new players are basically screwed or banished to casual mode, which is essentially the same as ranked but without stars.
Also, the cards you actually get as a new player are total garbage in Hearthstone, because 9 in 10 cards from the basic and classic set are understatted vanilla minions. And as T5 doesn´t buff anything ever (especially if it is free or benefitial for f2p/new players) that will only get worse over time.
In Gwent you get a bunch of interesting and effective cards right from the start. Sure, most or at least some of them might be subpar choices in most metadecks, but they are a) still usable as they actually DO STUFF and b) they have synergy and allow you to create interesting beginner decks like Monsters with frost or Skellige with resurrection and buff mechanics.

Gwent is leagues beyond and I sincerely hope it doesn´t go the Hearthstone route. So, NO! I don´t think your points are valid.

Last edited:
I'm not a new player but I only started playing GWENT post OB. Right now I am really struggling to win with ST deck. I can onl win against certain factions and I think i've got worse as a player haha

Want to check back in. Now that I am above rank 10, people are *****ing all over me with top tier gold cards. Looks like I am going to have to shelve it and try something else or mill several factions. Playing the computer isn't like playing against people so it really doesn't allow me to adequately prepare.

gigabomb;n9635881 said:
Want to check back in. Now that I am above rank 10, people are *****ing all over me with top tier gold cards. Looks like I am going to have to shelve it and try something else or mill several factions. Playing the computer isn't like playing against people so it really doesn't allow me to adequately prepare.
Playing in casual is an option you know...

It's always an option to post a deck in our Tactician's Corner. Maybe other players will have useful suggestions how to improve it. Sometimes it's only small things that cause a deck to struggle in ranked and casual.

DMaster2;n9643761 said:
Playing in casual is an option you know...

At this level casual is usually not easier than ranked.

Gwent has is very rewarding to players to can see the meta, respond to it, and make very few mistakes game after game after game.

Skill and experience pay off in the long run, but having to face monsters over and over is definitely rough on morale. Luckily, swipe is a thing for tokens, and each class has a solid bronze anti-weather unit which you can pretty safely craft and use two-of in most decks, and there is a class-specific silver-mage which spawns clear skies and is both versatile and strong. For a couple hundred dust you can have a decent anti-monster toolbox.

Last edited:
I am just having fun at casual with my ciri dash discard skellige . I opened gaunter o dimm and i use him to play ciri dash as finisher.

devivre;n9643861 said:
It's always an option to post a deck in our Tactician's Corner. Maybe other players will have useful suggestions how to improve it. Sometimes it's only small things that cause a deck to struggle in ranked and casual.

At this level casual is usually not easier than ranked.
Define easier. If we are talking about card quality it's definitely easier, since i play there myself (3.5k mmr) and find a huge variety of stuff. If we are talking about skill, well nothing can be done about it i guess.

DMaster2;n9646351 said:
Define easier. If we are talking about card quality it's definitely easier, since i play there myself (3.5k mmr) and find a huge variety of stuff. If we are talking about skill, well nothing can be done about it i guess.

Near rank 10 as was mentioned in the post you were referring to, no, in terms of card quality and challenge it's not easier to play in casual at the moment (you often get matched with rank 17+ opponents). If someone struggles in ranked, then the deck probably will struggle in casual as well at this level.

Top Bottom