Game is highly frustrating for new players

+
TheRedWatcher;n9662111 said:
And don't get me wrong. I am going through it. I am still playing the game. And will continue to play the game. I don't want anything fast. I don't mind getting a new card and making the deck better and better every time.

Same here. The funny part is that some other posters are implying that the average player without experience wouldn't necessarily be frustrated, or, in one case, that my comments are offensive because of the assumption, and yet we both are frustrated despite my experience with gwent specifically, and you having considerably more experience in other, less generous CCGs.

I was planning to recommend the game to several people that used to play Magic back in the day, but I didn't expect to be so frustrating for me my second time through. My friends are grown adults that don't have as much free time as I do (clearly, considering how much time I am editing posts in this thread), and they won't take kindly to this type of frustration, so I'm not going to waste their time by recommending the game to them in it's current state. I've made that mistake before and I know how they will react: poorly. Maybe CCGs just aren't for them, but maybe they are, and changes can be made to ease the new player experience/grind.

I apologize for speaking for the downtrodden, frustrated newbie gamer that may or may not exist and be viewing this thread with bated breath.

Last edited:
I'm currently liking the NR and Socia'tael decks.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but Nilf seems to be dropping lots of spy cards >_>

gigabomb;n9663721 said:
Same here. The funny part is that some other posters are implying that the average player without experience wouldn't necessarily be frustrated, or, in one case, that my comments are offensive because of the assumption, and yet we both are frustrated despite my experience with gwent specifically, and you having considerably more experience in other, less generous CCGs.

I was planning to recommend the game to several people that used to play Magic back in the day, but I didn't expect to be so frustrating for me my second time through. My friends are grown adults that don't have as much free time as I do (clearly, considering how much time I am editing posts in this thread), and they won't take kindly to this type of frustration, so I'm not going to waste their time by recommending the game to them in it's current state. I've made that mistake before and I know how they will react: poorly. Maybe CCGs just aren't for them, but maybe they are, and changes can be made to ease the new player experience/grind.

I apologize for speaking for the downtrodden, frustrated newbie gamer that may or may not exist and be viewing this thread with bated breath.
If they don't have time, they must use money. That's how it is with f2p games (not only CCGs, any f2p game out there). Expecting to get stuff without making any kind of effort is unrealistic. The huge plus of gwent is that time really allows you to get a full collection without paying. Good luck pulling that with many other ccgs.

I've recruited a friend and I realised what a waste of time that was because theres no social aspect to it, like you can play against them but the game is so reliant on you finishing your 6 rounds or whatever per day and for some people that it actually a lot of time (assuming 4 games on average to achieve that). But on the other hand you actually progress a lot quicker if you lose quite often as illogical as that sounds, so lets say it took you 20 games to get to your quota then thats a lot of good game bonuses.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9661621 said:
Because there a cheap weather spamming faction that requires little or no skill.

Says the Sco player. Huge amount of tactics in that DECK /sarcasm. See? I can make silly childish generalisations about other decks too!

A little civility never hurt anyone good sir.

Certainly in this version of the meta monsters can be a horrid weather deck. I have been playing a good deal longer than that. I also don't play that much weather. (Unseen Elder all the way!)

Edit - you also missed my original point entirely. It wasn't about monsters, it was about people playing how they want to play. I personally don't like the amount of NR armour decks around or foltest swarm. The difference is I don't go around pronouncing judgement on them, because people happen to like different things to me.

Then again, I am pretty awesome.

Last edited:
njmcshane;n9671141 said:
Says the Sco player. Huge amount of tactics in that DECK /sarcasm. See? I can make silly childish generalisations about other decks too!

A little civility never hurt anyone good sir.

Certainly in this version of the meta monsters can be a horrid weather deck. I have been playing a good deal longer than that. I also don't play that much weather. (Unseen Elder all the way!)

Edit - you also missed my original point entirely. It wasn't about monsters, it was about people playing how they want to play. I personally don't like the amount of NR armour decks around or foltest swarm. The difference is I don't go around pronouncing judgement on them, because people happen to like different things to me.

Then again, I am pretty awesome.

Monsters have and will always be the most tasteless and cheap choice as anyones primary faction.

You could play a beautiful hand, lining yourself up for an elegant finish only for some last miniute harpy eggs, ekihmara, nekker or elemental to make your victory and CA redundant.

It's the absurd amount of resilent units together with the low level multiple summoned units and weather spam that makes them so unfair. ESPECIALLY TO NEW PLAYERS!!

And since when does one show civility to monsters?

They should all be locked in cages and dissected for study.

:hmm3:

gigabomb;n9659441 said:
Thank you for the advice.

I must have missed it in the CDPR about section.

"Cry me a river" is not a great way to entice new players unless you have a monopoly.

I don't think that the primary strategy for new players should be to mill several decks worth of cards and netdeck to "learn" the game, although a lot of successful players get into the game that way. I'm posting because I think that CDPR is a great, friendly company that has crafted several great games, and I'd like to see some changes. This appears to be the same for other newcomers that are posting here. If changes are made, our woes will be long forgotten, but I want this game to continue to grow, and the frustration is a dense fog at lower levels. CDPR appears willing to make massive changes to their game that come out for the better, and I am hoping to see something down the road that resembles optional training with rewards.

Exactly, all that will happen is people will play the game thinking they will be playing against the starter cards and then they will see all these cards they've never seen before and won't know what to do, then they too will be forced to mil cards and get a net deck to win games.

From the matches I've played I'd say it's about 50/50 with genuine low ranked players with starting decks and second accounts with net decks. Xbox is better for second accounts because you have to pay for the accounts which I agree with but on the PC you can just keep creating them, not alot you can do about that but you can stop people milling the cards you start with and stop low ranking players making net decks unless they are willing to pay which they won't as it's most likely a second account anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom