Game is stuttering after 1.05 Patch

+
I had this game running quite nicely on high settings, even with hairworks on for all, and with patch 1.05, i see a significant downgrade in performance. even on medium with hairworks off, it is still not as smooth at before today. What happened? I tunred off vsync and it got better, but still not what is was before. I want my high settings with hairworks back! it looked and ran awesome, nary a crash or lock up. now it's not. it's not my computer, it's gotta be the patch.

I add myself to the stuttering crowd.

After patch 1.05 the game has started stuttering heavily, everywhere. It gets worse in Novigrad but is always present. FPS are always over 40 and do not drop during the stuttering. Before this patch, the game was running very smoothly @50+ FPS without any stuttering.

I have tried changing windowless borders to fullscreen, turning V-sync on and off, changing all the settings, updating my drivers and making changes in the Nvidia Control Panel. The only thing that helps a bit is setting "max pre-rendered frames" to "1" in Nvidia Control Panel but it does not solve the issue, only reduce slightly its frequency.

I am running the game on: i5-2500k, MSI GTX 970, 16 GB ram.

EDIT: I added a couple of other things I tried, before someone suggests that I should try them :)

Last edited:
There are only two patch files downloadable (1.01 and 1.02 in one file and everything above 1.02 in another file including 1.05). So how do I get 1.04 without it installing 1.05 automatically?

I did the manual install from gog, so i managed to download the first 3 patches, gog removed patch 1.3 & 1.4 from the site so people can't install it anymore.

---------- Updated at 02:35 PM ----------

How did you do that? I was looking on Galaxy, but couldn´t find anything.

I don't use the galaxy app, i have the 1.3 patch files

I Tried to disable the VSYNC that didnt help the only way i can make it even somewhat playable is to put everything on low and change the resolution to a much lower setting. I have a month old MSI gt70 2PC Dominator running windows 8.1 with a NVIDIA GTX870m, Intel I7 2.80GHz and 16GB of ram. befor the update i was running on High settings with no problems what so ever. i could run on Ultra with some cinematic stuttering (enough for me to switch to High). Please Fix this CDPR.

I did the manual install from gog, so i managed to download the first 3 patches, gog removed patch 1.3 & 1.4 from the site so people can't install it anymore.

So wow, great job on that CDPR. We are not even allowed to install the patches 1.03 and 1.04 anymore. And I assume my 1.04 savegames won't work with the 1.02 game version?

Maybe I just wait until they released the next few patches and play something else in the meantime, I already wasted too much time trying to resolve this problem.

So wow, great job on that CDPR. We are not even allowed to install the patches 1.03 and 1.04 anymore. And I assume my 1.04 savegames won't work with the 1.02 game version?

Maybe I just wait until they released the next few patches and play something else in the meantime, I already wasted too much time trying to resolve this problem.

Yeah sorry man 1.04 saves doesn't work on anything lower, you have to like backup saves before every patch so you can go back.
I don't get why they don't let people go back to 1.3 & 1.4 it sucks

I don't know if this can help somebody, but it helped me a bit.

I deleted the user.settings file in the "documents/the witcher 3" folder. The game has then reset to default settings. I changed all graphics settings to my usual ones (everything ultra) and now the game stutters substantially less. There is still stuttering in Novigrad though.

Maybe the patch has changed some ways in which the engine and settings interact?

I add myself to the stuttering crowd.

After patch 1.05 the game has started stuttering heavily, everywhere. It gets worse in Novigrad but is always present. FPS are always over 40 and do not drop during the stuttering. Before this patch, the game was running very smoothly @50+ FPS without any stuttering.

I have tried changing windowless borders to fullscreen, turning V-sync on and off, changing all the settings, updating my drivers and making changes in the Nvidia Control Panel. The only thing that helps a bit is setting "max pre-rendered frames" to "1" in Nvidia Control Panel but it does not solve the issue, only reduce slightly its frequency.

I am running the game on: i5-2500k, MSI GTX 970, 16 GB ram.

EDIT: I added a couple of other things I tried, before someone suggests that I should try them :)

I don't lose fps in novigrad but my flikering is massively in walls of novigrad. not so terible ugly but it's don't realy fine and i don't have with 1.04

Play with 3960k, 16 go de ram, et titanx + 570.

Can someone from CD Project Red PLEASE have the decency to comment on the performance issues each patch after 1.02 has brought? They remain silent on performance issues that is not Hairworks. Plough Hairworks, 99% of us don't even use that unoptimised crap.

Why are we getting performance issues after "patches"???

vladgiurgiubv

Can someone from CD Project Red PLEASE have the decency to comment on the performance issues each patch after 1.02 has brought? They remain silent on performance issues that is not Hairworks. Plough Hairworks, 99% of us don't even use that unoptimised crap.

Why are we getting performance issues after "patches"???

+1+1+1+1+1+1
You are right sir! We demand an explanation!

+1 for the unexplained stutter.

I have done a FULL uninstall, all files deletion, good PC and registry cleaning, disabled any startup app that wasn't necessary, installed only latest video and physx drivers, then a fresh install of TW3 and started again from the beginning......

So, it runs fine and smooth just like it did before with all my OCD to get it running well. Though now, right in White Orchard, while looking and walking/running down "main street" it STUTTERS TERRIBLY.

I can't even imagine how it would be in Novigrad........... :(

And NO, it's not an FPS problem.

Maybe this is unrelated, but i noticed the Whales in Skellige doesn't finish the surfacing / submerging animation properly. It's like it stops mid animation, then continues 2 - 3 seconds after. You could call it some sort of stutter i guess.

Im another 970 nvidia user who has noticed really bad stuttering/hitching since the 1.05 patch.

This is not a framerate issue. My framerate remains a steady 60 FPS when the stuttering/hitching happens. Never used to do this before 1.05. Makes the game hard to look at and play, and makes me motion sick. :(

Please Devs, talk to us.

Never had to contend with this stuttering issue. I guess I stopped caring so much about it. But when people say that the stuttering gets to a point the game is already unplayable then there's really something wrong.

Not the game itself but maybe just maybe hardware incompatibility? Not properly optimized to as many hardware configurations as possible.

I'm using an old GTX 560 Ti, three years old in fact, and what I can share is that I can play it very well. Although my gpu temp can spike as high as 80 C and beyond. I was anticipating the death of my rig because of this thermal issue fortunately it didn't happen after two thorough playthroughs at level 36 and 34.

The game stutters when there are lots of NPCs that's for sure but when you are at Kaer Morhen and Skellige, game performs optimally and fast.

Top Bottom