Game is too Easy on "Very Hard"

+
I don't recall radscorpions that stood out from the rest but I remembered one encounter from Fallout 3 that could be used to illustrate something.

I think this happened somewhere on southern side of map. There were some ruins I was heading for some reason and stopped to rest some spot in middle of large rocks. So after rest it was night and from the spot I rested earlier I was eyeing ruins from distance, if there's hostiles in there. There was a sound, wondered what it was but kept inspecting those ruins from distance and then I heard it again. I turned around and was staring radscorpio into its eyes, it was like one meter from me. I managed to survive and even kill it by going around some of the largest rocks there radscorpion couldn't pass over, it had to circle that too and I was able to land shots while circling.
This is the Albino Radscorpion, I've taken the liberty to read a wiki quickly, its the second most powerful creature that you can encounter, has highly increased mobility compared to the other 'normal' variant and has an extremely powerful attack too. Like the normal giant radscorp they indeed appeared south and/or southeast I think.
1632333356963.png

That to quickly summarize the FO3 wickedness in enemy type :)
What you wrote, intuitive and natural made me think it's like fluid, which practically means versatility. I don't know what terms they use in the industry. But say Reflex/assault build can use pretty realistic tactics and there was discussion in other topic I wrote about how different kind of assault rifles can be used with different kind of tactics. Builds that aren't that focused on assault may still find M221 Saratoga submachine gun quite useful as back up, it's IMO totally underappreciated weapon. Then at the same time we can have this build firing light machine gun from the hip and actually hitting something. It's wrong in so many ways, standing there being a huge target firing cumbersome weapon that role is most often support, in worst possible way if you mean to hit anything, something so utterly absurd that it's hilarious but it's also great fun!
Yeah I read that post you made about the rifles. It was a good read. As an example, I basically play with the Grad as my weapon go-to weapon, and I carry the Fenrir (iconic saratoga I believe) for those closer-than-comfort type of encounters and the sniper isn't ideal. And then I swap between a Sidewinder or SOR when for my third weapon as either a powerful punch or just an unloading of smart projectiles.
The LMG and HMGs are indeed great fun. I always compare them to how you would behave as if a shocktrooper with a minigun. Preferrably armed, but the bulletspread is mainly for intimidation, which in the game shows itself in that you can actually hit them quite reliably, and in case of the HMG the splash .. ooh boy its like shooting mines :giveup:
What that means for difficulty, I think it could be about better cybeware for enemy NPC's and also other counters. There was mention in 1.3 patch notes that CDPR had adjusted reaction times of some enemy NPC's but could they also adjust how often and accurately enemy NPC's can throw a grenade, shortening the period of time player can camp in one spot or if player needs to think tactically about going forward/retreat from cover to cover, type of grenade can be a factor too. More than that, how effectively and fast enemy NPC's could perform pincher moves. Say player character build would be some sort of SWAT build, shotgun, stun baton and SMG, depending from location and situations, Assault/SMG could come very handy in some scenarios like that, gotta take down few first before going to close quarters / effective range of shotgun and baton.

For snipers counter would be that enemy netrunners wouldn't be easy to locate and take out. Enemy NPC reveal location quickhack uploading speed and cooldown (player may have Self-Ice) and once found, more aggressive use of offensive quickhacks.
With regards to that netrunner thing, I do feel the highlight of the enemy netrunner becomes available too quickly, and I never opt for it because it feels a bit like cheating. I would also like it if they used short circuit sometimes too, or contagion, or something posion related so that you also had to take into account that enemy netrunners can atttack with QHs that have different effects, I've only ever seen them use overheat but nothing else. I will say though that the enemy ping action (revealing position) is a good way to balance/counter our usage of the QH arsenal.
Also, something that I've had to think about once some time ago, I would also like it if certain higher level enemies, or netrunners specifically to have ICE defenses that require you to chain a code as long as 7/8 characters together. because to me I found it always funny how nobody had actually good ICE defences, it was usually just a lot of RAM requirement.
The part in bold made me think, what if you on occasion are prompted an ICE code that reflects your defence: crack the code would dissolve the enemy netrunner attack. (just thinking out loud here)
Fluidity, so to say between story/exploration and combat should IMO always remain on high priority for this game as that's what IMO this game does best and bullet sponges are not guaranteed not to create additional problems anyway.
I agree, this game is elevated by the narrative and backdrop of the world, so when the experience feels like a 'fluid'-film, to use your words paraphrased. (which means the above mention I made regarding the bold part is somewhat counterproductive)
It is as I said before, I dont think the balance is off per se, and in addition I already believe the enemies are quite smart already (i've made posts in defense of this game versus the GTA enemies) All you may need is some tweaking and additional variation and uniqueness between certain enemy-types or even according to their gang association. The one thing I miss a little is that a, as exmple, a melee enemy doesn't also use the knife throw ability if he can't really get close. Or that a sniper actually uses the sneak pose to increase his aiming accuracy. I mean, seeing a sniper stand on a roof being the perfect taret for my sniper is a bit silly :p

Yeah I read that post you made about the rifles. It was a good read. As an example, I basically play with the Grad as my weapon go-to weapon, and I carry the Fenrir (iconic saratoga I believe) for those closer-than-comfort type of encounters and the sniper isn't ideal. And then I swap between a Sidewinder or SOR when for my third weapon as either a powerful punch or just an unloading of smart projectiles.
The LMG and HMGs are indeed great fun. I always compare them to how you would behave as if a shocktrooper with a minigun. Preferrably armed, but the bulletspread is mainly for intimidation, which in the game shows itself in that you can actually hit them quite reliably, and in case of the HMG the splash .. ooh boy its like shooting mines :giveup:
HMG's sure made my day when I went to take Arasaka tower on (Don't Fear) The Reaper during my last playthrough. I was playing on normal and despite Body 16 and using every other trick too, smart assault rifles and grenades in certain situations, quickhacking, tech sniper rifle, it came pretty damn close few times to die there. I had Second Heart but it didn't came to that. What comes to experience as player I had completed game two times before, I had some idea about what I was doing, but like I wrote, came pretty damn close few times. Then I saw a video in LowSodiumCyberpunk where someone was moving down enemies in (Don't Fear) the Reaper with just a pistol. Haha!

So I kinda like normal difficulty being where it is now, it enables lot's of things for different kind of players and builds.

With regards to that netrunner thing, I do feel the highlight of the enemy netrunner becomes available too quickly, and I never opt for it because it feels a bit like cheating. I would also like it if they used short circuit sometimes too, or contagion, or something posion related so that you also had to take into account that enemy netrunners can atttack with QHs that have different effects, I've only ever seen them use overheat but nothing else. I will say though that the enemy ping action (revealing position) is a good way to balance/counter our usage of the QH arsenal.
Also, something that I've had to think about once some time ago, I would also like it if certain higher level enemies, or netrunners specifically to have ICE defenses that require you to chain a code as long as 7/8 characters together. because to me I found it always funny how nobody had actually good ICE defences, it was usually just a lot of RAM requirement.
The part in bold made me think, what if you on occasion are prompted an ICE code that reflects your defence: crack the code would dissolve the enemy netrunner attack. (just thinking out loud here)
Enemy netrunner abilities were discussed in couple of topics since February I think but that's definitely way to go on harder difficulties and possible optional challenges. I have been writing about this in various topics about 5 times or so now but the general idea is called "Cybered Up" and that would mean enemy Self-Ice, enemy clothing mods (immunity to shock can change things quite a bit) Contagion, like you wrote would work very well in enemy NPC arsenal, without going to state that could mean game over, like Reboot Optics with several enemies closing in.

Enemy Second Heart would force stealth player to scan enemies and think about how to dispose body quickly, could also be really annoying unless these things were optional challenges, but who knows.

I agree, this game is elevated by the narrative and backdrop of the world, so when the experience feels like a 'fluid'-film, to use your words paraphrased. (which means the above mention I made regarding the bold part is somewhat counterproductive)
It is as I said before, I dont think the balance is off per se, and in addition I already believe the enemies are quite smart already (i've made posts in defense of this game versus the GTA enemies) All you may need is some tweaking and additional variation and uniqueness between certain enemy-types or even according to their gang association. The one thing I miss a little is that a, as exmple, a melee enemy doesn't also use the knife throw ability if he can't really get close. Or that a sniper actually uses the sneak pose to increase his aiming accuracy. I mean, seeing a sniper stand on a roof being the perfect taret for my sniper is a bit silly :p
Snipers on roofs would be silly if it were a war scenario but for me it works as this isn't that. Gangs that occupy places has every reason to be self confident and sniper on roofs can signal that confidence and power to whatever other factions there are. But on higher difficulties, perhaps that behavior could be changed.

Fluid... I hate it when I don't know the proper terminology but for me it's a sum of interconnecting and intersecting elements in game. Character progression system that enables experiencing story and completing challenges that are parts of that story with play style and build player likes. I started noticing this on my second playthrough while I was leveling up Blades to harvest points due bugged Athletics skill progression:
There are these cyberpunk archetypes that I think come from anime and manga side of cyberpunk I'm not that familiar with, cyber samurai and cyber ninja. Those are perfectly valid choices to actually play character like that. Reflexes/Blades are really powerful and makes really good stealth build with Cool/Dagger Dearler even there's inconvenience of going to inventory to equip more knives. Investing more to Reflexes and Cool and then some clothing mods, like Soft Sole that allows silent landing, Zero Drag to further increase movement speed. Katana adds versatility, no forced stealth and with flashbangs or EMP grenades, grenades also allow some crowd control. And player can keep building their character that way, Lynx Paws cyberware for silent running and we got Optical Camo in 1.3.

I don't know what roleplaying really means to different people, I haven't been that interested what something is, it's that is something interesting or not. What is interesting in example:
Let's say that this V, cyberninja or samurai is a woman and she dresses in way that implies that and as she is a mercenary she fits right in with the crowd in the Afterlife. She may ride Akira bike, Kusanagi or car that might be Mizutani Shion and when she gets somewhere where she has a GIG to do, transition to that is seamless. She may crouch, scout the area. There are few Scavs, she tags them, eliminates couple of guards down with knives, hack optics of some remaining enemies or throw a flashbang, take the down with katana. There's one Scav remaining running towards her with Carnage shotgun, she is out of knives but she may throw another grenade, retreat or pull this giant Overture from non-existing back pocket of her ninja pants and right before shooting Scavs head clean off, hear his last words "That is so fucking unfair!" :LOL:

If I try to picture all that with bullet sponge enemies, I guess technically it could be possible, with lots of knives and baiting the enemy but it would be really lame compared to what we have now and if game would work like that, why not just stick to guns builds then?

I agree with the OP. During my first playthrough, I created a quite jack-of-all-trades character., well, mostly without even planning at all; R:20, T:18, I:12, C:11, B:10. Focusing on smart weapons and distracting/neckbreaking. It never felt as very hard. Not even hard. It was a smooth gameplay without any challenge. I had the similar feelings during Witcher 3 too. I wouldn't argue it as a fact, but only as an opinion maybe; it can be that CDPR setting the challenge mostly at tactical base rather than the grinding again and again. I m not sure I should be criticizing or being thankful in this case.

Also, although my current build is full blast shotgun, I tried to do the Heist sneaking, without investing in sneaking, using Kongou with a silencer, and it takes very little damage -someone said you can take down an enemy with a silenced pistol without investing in perks-. Really? Not in my game.
In my new corpo playthrough, I think that should be "good" to do the heist with Kongou/silencer without been detected (the most important), with only 4 in Cool and only 2 perks in stealth (movment speed and damage bonus with silencer).

But it requiere a lot of grinding !
Unlock the perk to retrieve mods when you dismantle an item (Tech skill level 14) and a lot of reload to have enough Fortuna clothe mods. The goal is to reach 100% crit chance and the maximum crit damages (about 250-300% should be enough).
No really need armor, so it's a patchwork of mostly Fortuna, Deadeye and Armadillo (+5% by mods on my Kiroshi and +7% by Limbic System Enhancement).
And in addition, Camo cyberware. The Heist will certainly be "easy" :)
23ea4366-f6e9-4acc-addc-a97f2d248cdd.PNGd490c197-38c1-4818-9ce0-322ebc0eeb6f.PNG03cbc7e1-2fdf-4b97-9dc8-a9bcdc913e45.PNG

Interesting! Tell us later :cool:
"test realised" :)

No way to fire a single bullet before the first elevator (to go in the hall). Yes, Kongou+silencer effectively "one-shot" all the enemies (around 2.5K damages with head shot).
But I don't know why, if you fire a bullet before the elevator, when I enter in the elevator area (where there is 2 guys and the one who have the card), they are alerted immediatly with no reason and search about me... Then if I kill them "silently" (without entering in combat), after, when the elevator reach the hall, I enter in combat right away...

In my case, after some tentatives, no way to use weapon with silencer at all... So, "old method", Optic Reboot and manual knockout (and way easier with Camo Cyberware).

And fun fact, you are able to craft now in the konpeki, so I also tested with a brand new Overture... The same but with 4.5K damage on head shot :)

The issue is that the NPC don't hack you ( apart of netrunners overheat ) and they basically barely move / abandonee their fixed position on the map.
They should be able to hack you , flank you in the smart way but they either stay an shoot ( ok most of them 1hit kills you - I pleay on very hard ) or move towards you in a stupid way.

"test realised" :)

No way to fire a single bullet before the first elevator (to go in the hall). Yes, Kongou+silencer effectively "one-shot" all the enemies (around 2.5K damages with head shot).
But I don't know why, if you fire a bullet before the elevator, when I enter in the elevator area (where there is 2 guys and the one who have the card), they are alerted immediatly with no reason and search about me... Then if I kill them "silently" (without entering in combat), after, when the elevator reach the hall, I enter in combat right away...

In my case, after some tentatives, no way to use weapon with silencer at all... So, "old method", Optic Reboot and manual knockout (and way easier with Camo Cyberware).

And fun fact, you are able to craft now in the konpeki, so I also tested with a brand new Overture... The same but with 4.5K damage on head shot :)
Nice finds, thank you. So we enter with our components in Kompeki?
And yeah I think from the beggining (I mean first patch) there is a moment where they are alerted to our presence. I don't know if it was intentional or a missing sound file/shard and I don't know if I like it like this or not but what i feel happens is that there is a moment (after finding/frying TBug?) that Arasaka personnel were made aware there were intruders at Kompeki and that Saburo had been killed and dispatched their military personnel. And in the game that's when they arrive. The first ones were Kompeki security forces.
Edit: come to think about it I like it like this. I like the way this game choses what to explain and what to leave a mistery. And it's coherent with CP 2020 where there are known facts and events but also theories, rumours,... just as a sidenote; that's the problem with bugs and performance issues though. You always secondguess if things are features or bugs.

Nice finds, thank you. So we enter with our components in Kompeki?
Yep you have all your components. So if you can craft everything you want/can ;)
The problem is that if the guys just before the elevator are alerted (simply alerted) when you arrive in the hall, you will enter in combat directly.
And they are alerted anyway if you use a firearm beforehand, whereas if you do it "by hand", no problem.
In short, silencer or not, if you use a gun, you have to fight the robot in the hall.
It's a bit strange :)

Yep you have all your components. So if you can craft everything you want/can ;)
The problem is that if the guys just before the elevator are alerted (simply alerted) when you arrive in the hall, you will enter in combat directly.
And they are alerted anyway if you use a firearm beforehand, whereas if you do it "by hand", no problem.
In short, silencer or not, if you use a gun, you have to fight the robot in the hall.
It's a bit strange :)
Ah ok I've always reached the hall on combat mode. Some of the times I thought I had been real sneaky and no use of guns. Even the katana I think. Maybe I used a katana on the last guy somewhere.

Ah ok I've always reached the hall on combat mode. Some of the times I thought I had been real sneaky and no use of guns. Even the katana I think. Maybe I used a katana on the last guy somewhere.
Yep, the only way to not reach the hall in combat mode (and avoid to fight the big robot), in my case, it's "manual" knockout and obviously never been detected nor alerted any enemies before the elevator.
I didn't try with the katana, but with Yorinobu's gun and (the best) an Overture, both with silencer and "one-shot", that doesn't work at all :)

My main gripe with this game is that the game is just... too easy.

I can't understand why you have an option for "Very Hard" but literally 10-20% into the game, you feel completely overpowered and are 1-shotting everything in sight.

At the very start of the game, it seemed promising, the enemies didn't feel too squishy and they hit very hard, however - after just a few hours and finding some green/blue gear it became pretty rediculous how quickly the enemies started to melt.

To make it worse, I feel like I literally have to dismantle EVERY "Tech" or "Smart" weapon I find because they are ABSOLUTELY BROKEN, like... literally, if you pick up and use one of these guns, you might aswell just be playing with some sorta cheat codes enabled.

The amount of damage that enemies do seems to be pretty fine, but why do enemies on Very Hard have such a small health pool?

On top of that, the amount of EXP / Street Cred you get is far too high on this difficulty, I feel like this could be one of the main culprits for the games extremely easy difficulty, I'm currently on "30% / 10% / 10%" completion, but my Street Cred is already at like 35 / 50.

I know, I know - this game isn't meant to be Dark Souls, but I am just struggling to understand why you even have an OPTION for "Very Hard", when honestly my experience so far it feels like "Very Easy"... I can't even imagine what this game would be like on the lower difficulties...
I feel the exact same way. I started ( and still am ) playing on Hard. As we gain levels and get gear we notice the enemies get easier over time. You can tell a enemies difficulty when encountering them by the color symbol over there head ie. skull, red, orange, yellow, green , grey. I hate how once we get to lvl 50, all of the enemies become grey ( very easy) and we one shot everything. I have half my perk points into abilies and the other half not used, and i still 1 shot enemies ( even with zero perk points in any type of gun enchancements) as i use a knife. There's ZERO challenge. They should at least give us orange mobs towards the end of the game or in certain areas at lvl 50.

Top Bottom