Game is WAY too hard for new players.

+
I agree with the maintopic that Gwent is hard for new players. Every cardgame where u need to collect cards have this problem. The silvers and golds u get at the beginning are crap :D
I had this feeling too until i got some cards.
I posted the same answer on a german forum: Give the game a second chance. Go through the low lvl pain and try to get good cards. You will enjoy the game after i promise ^^

Vladi999;n8396010 said:
I agree with the maintopic that Gwent is hard for new players. Every cardgame where u need to collect cards have this problem. The silvers and golds u get at the beginning are crap :D
I had this feeling too until i got some cards.
I posted the same answer on a german forum: Give the game a second chance. Go through the low lvl pain and try to get good cards. You will enjoy the game after i promise ^^
It isn't. Here, it has been tested: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/gwent/general-discussions-aa/8365820-new-player-experience

4RM3D;n8395860 said:
If you have Nature's Gift (NG) in hand, you can inspect the card to see what it will summon. However, if NG is spawned by Mercs, then you have no choice but to use it anyhow. Once NG is used, it does show the newly spawned card if that card requires a manual interaction.

Wait...if it's in hand, and you zoom on it, it will tell you what it is duplicating?

I played the game in TW3 extensively and I just got the beta a couple days ago. I'm level 6 now and I'm facing players who do have interesting decks (and of course stronger cards). However, I still find that I am able to win half (if not more) of my games. I work on making a deck with a specialty but make it adaptable to have a couple of cards to deal with different decks. By this time, I usually know the general strategy that each deck does.

It also helps to play multiple decks to see the playstyles of those decks.

Last edited:
4RM3D;n8396340 said:
Yup. Took me a while too, before I discovered that.

love your new profile picture. so thematic with the player base having trouble with the recent bugs of the game. player friendly move.

i can agree that AI practice opponent is way too hard for beginners but you start to play with people who just got into the game as well and i had no problem. so may it go back to how long it takes you to master the game? probably.

I am around level 6, with me being level 5 at the moment. I have considered doing what other players do and mill cards and craft the ones i need/want however I feel that I still win a lot more then I loss with only using a standard deck and only adding 1 or 2 cards into the standard deck. I can agree that I do get matched every once in a while with people how have a lot more cards outside of the standard deck then I do and it does normally result in a loss but it is a rare occurrence. I think that the game is pretty fair and enjoyable for new players who are entering the scene right now.

AzureCrow;n8408250 said:
I think that the game is pretty fair and enjoyable for new players who are entering the scene right now.

Some basic decks are just so much better than other, SK needs like 400-600 scraps to become a powerhouse, add a harald and it is a tier deck.

Nilfs on the other hand...

My first recommendation for making your player experience better is cancelling your queues after 30 seconds. It goes on an expanded search after this and will match you up with much better players in these cases, making it harder to get your dailies.

Also, watch streams. Making better decisions at every level, especially crafting and pick priority, will make your early experiences so much better.

Sound advice thusfar in this thread, I'd also add don't be afraid to Mill cards from Kegs that are for factions you're not using. Your first goal should be getting a "core" you can work with. Some factions have that core in the starter others take a bit of work, but once you have a solid core, look to build on it.

for instance, Yennifer Conjurer is a solid card that fits in many decks and strategies, it's nice and cheap at 200 scrap and should help you a great deal in getting your wins. Don't waste scrap on leaders, the ones you get for starter decks are usually generalists and work for a variety of strategies.

you should also look into deck lists, see which are the most useful gold and silvers for your faction and work towards crafting them, a lot of the useful ones again, are 200 scraps, only go for 800 scrap legendary cards when you're winning consistently with a solid deck.

and don't craft Decoy or Ciri, you get them free for leveling.

I played Nilfgard when I started and managed to win fairly often getting me enough scrap to craft a few epic cards and finishing out a few of the common/rare slots. Haven't even thought about milling all the other cards though I feel I might now so I can try different Nilfgard strats (focusing on one class is so the way to go though).

I feel it can take a little while for people to realise which cards are bad, like the silver 10 cards and the cow can be fairly awful but it was a while before I figured that out.

Fuz;n6998530 said:
So, I received the closed beta five days ago.
Liking it so far (loved it in TW3), I'm currently level 6, but I'm at the point where is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to win a single game because I basically don't have any card except the starter packs and all my opponents have way more powerful cards than those. I constantly get trampled by gold cards and such.
So, it's either buy kegs or lose every single game.
And I have to play at least a dozen games a day to get my win of the day. This is absolutely frustrating and disheartening, not to mention super time consuming, and frankly I think I'm done with the game until it get fixed shomehow. Why should I waste my limited play time with lose after lose after lose and get trampled by far superior decks that I currently can not build nor contrast? It's absolutely no fun at all.
Hope this gets looked upon, becaue I really loved Gwent in TW3.

First off, as CCG you should expect it to be hard, especially if you are a F2P player.

Secondly, it is a bit less punishing (or, a bit more rewarding if you prefer) than other CCG's out there.

As a F2P account i found there are some milestones, i would say, at certain points were the Decks reaches it's potential and you need better cards to evolve the Deck to the next level. It is all about patience imo. Even loses give you scrap etc. It is disheartening, nevertheless, to be losing all the time just because you are not given options to improve the deck, rather than making mistakes in a match. I grant you that.

Lastly, since this is CBT, i hope when CDPR goes into OBT, will have achievements, daily rewards and at least some F2P Campaign (as of now we know the Campaign will be B2P, unfortunately..).

GL

ValhallasChosen;n6999140 said:
Do like all the champs do, mill all the cards to decks you don't use and craft the cards you want to make a better deck. For instance I milled everything except my monster cards. then build a very very good monster deck. after that i was able to win a lot more games and started building my NR deck.

I did the same! The best solution!

CorruptedSIime;n8414030 said:
I did the same! The best solution!

I made multiple accounts just to test out best strategies to go with (when game releases, after-wipe that is). This is indeed the fastest way but, as i mention above you eventually reach certain milestones were the Deck can no longer perform at the X Rank. Also, you eventually run out of Scraps and Ore and Cards to Mill to make new Cards.

I believe that after the wipe though things will be easier (perhaps the right term is that the game it'll give more options at least for rewards with other means) because of Campaigns, achievements, daily quests and i don't know what else they have thought of. Until then though, even this strategy becomes frustrating. Nevertheless, with patience (and a lot of luck from the given Kegs) it is ok imo.

I agree with you to some extent... I felt the same as well in the beginning, but later figured out that the game is a bit different to the other card games that exist around and we have to adapt to play to this style of game play which was the cause of difficulty for me. It took me some games to get used to this play style and building better decks, now I'm enjoying the game

When the beta is over, all players should be given the value in scrap that it costs to craft all their current cards in their entire collection. This way, for those that own most of the cards or all the cards, they can be sure that they can craft them all. Giving players kegs for rank or whatever is just a cheap tactic that will result in incomplete collections even after milling just to force players to buy more kegs. Devs need to support those that supported them in this beta and purchased all those kegs, not create a situation that would result in even more money having to be spent by these poor folks.

God_of_Eredin;n8415340 said:
When the beta is over, all players should be given the value in scrap that it costs to craft all their current cards in their entire collection. This way, for those that own most of the cards or all the cards, they can be sure that they can craft them all. Giving players kegs for rank or whatever is just a cheap tactic that will result in incomplete collections even after milling just to force players to buy more kegs. Devs need to support those that supported them in this beta and purchased all those kegs, not create a situation that would result in even more money having to be spent by these poor folks.
Why are you complaining? You can easily get 20+ kegs FOR FREE at the start of OB. Other games (hint: hearthstone) gave you a giant nothing for being a CB tester, so be less entitled and start being a bit more grateful.

I was like you OP, my only golden card was premium geralt, gold cards are completely unneceserry in whatever deck you play, otherwise youre just being in huge disadvantage, i was stuck in 4th rank and it was PAINFUL to achieve that with my shitty consume deck, which was basically built on vran + behemoth + resilience combo, counterable by almost everything, then i scrapped all my cards to craft proper consume deck with kayran, caretaker, igni, avalach, crones etc, totally worth it

currently rank 9th and lost like 2 times only out of 20+ games

Fuz;n6998530 said:
So, it's either buy kegs or lose every single game.

Ummm yea...i dont see the problem with that personally.. Also personally i think its too easy for people to play free..

I have only spent $25 on this and I have done very well. ...really i have no sympathy or anyone who attempts to play free and then complains that they are losing.

I think you title need to be amended to say its to hard on players who don't want to contribute anything.

I had a different experience and i started when you had to win a MATCH in order to get anywhere ... the devs put training wheels on the game now giving you prize if you win a ROUND and still people complain. as a new player i chronicled my journey here

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...erson-in-gwent

as for constantly losing ....that a result of your decision not to buy kegs ...its not the game or the devs fault its a causal effect of your own choices.

start having fun during the game you can lean more form a loss than you can forma win.

Even in ranked this quote is true.

Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it. Greg Anderson

Top Bottom