Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
Ooh today is just awesome. Check it out, Wu caught red handed again.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0LIciMCAAAMYIP.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0LIb6xCUAELR5L.png

Jesus... it's so retarded... I'm too intelligent for this.

Also @Aver you're welcome :)

Last edited:
So we know both Wu and Zoe faked attacks. Makes me ponder the possibility of Anita faking the two bomb threats somehow. It just seems so retarded and over the top, but I can't put it past some fools.

Mainstream media is taking up the cause and utilizing the same tactics- paint a boogeyman scenario, give no coverage to opposing views and ignore the facts:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gamerga...r-women-in-video-games-prompts-death-threats/

I will say it again: the longer big names in the tech industry stay silent, the more this hurts them as well as gamers. The media will sway the general public outside of gaming, because game culture is still perceived as a fringe element and subverted.

Last edited:
So apparently the Mercedes thing is legit: https://twitter.com/Nero/status/523173634534572035

Gawker status: rekt.
Priceless.

At first I was surprised that when I saw you guys defending Gamersgate. I only heard bad things (like life threats) about them so far and I was surprised when I learned from this topic about their charity and other positive actions. It's really disgusting that gaming media show only one side of story.
I thought the same thing the other day about what I'd heard about misogyny in the radical atheist movement. I have zero sympathy for that demographic, finding them as obnoxious as any other fundamentalist sect, but I realized that I had just tacitly accepted that it was a "hive of misogyny"- as anyone not following it closely would do with GamerGate. Feminists do have a good grip on the narrative.

Unfortunately someone in my Twitter feed is apparently an Anita fan. They RT'ed her saying "Transgender women are women. End of discussion." Apparently Anita really does think she's the empress of the world.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
So we know both Wu and Zoe faked attacks. Makes me ponder the possibility of Anita faking the two bomb threats somehow. It just seems so retarded and over the top, but I can't put it past some fools.
How does that Wu thing prove she faked the attack? I can't read the tiny little writing on that picture. Plus, Quinn got doxxed for real yesterday on 8chan despite the best efforts of GGers to flood the real doxx away, so there's been some legitimate stuff mixed in there, too. Might be dangerous to start thinking of things in "maybe this is fake" terms given how many messed up fringe people are out there on both sides.

How does that Wu thing prove she faked the attack? I can't read the tiny little writing on that picture. Plus, Quinn got doxxed for real yesterday on 8chan despite the best efforts of GGers to flood the real doxx away, so there's been some legitimate stuff mixed in there, too. Might be dangerous to start thinking of things in "maybe this is fake" terms given how many messed up fringe people are out there on both sides.

No more dangerous than assuming they're legit. What that print says with the saw pic is irrelevant. She posted it as proof someone was out to get her and that they just started some attack on her, some new campaign, then it turns out the date of the picture was a good bit before she did the MSNBC coverage, which basically means it couldn't have been legit.

Zoe Quinn's recent Doxx may have been legit, but the first one apparently was not, which the person who doxxed her recently, lol, found out by doxxing her. Regardless of the recent one being real, the original isn't. Thus, I hope she learns this phrase well. "Karma is a bitch."

Also, she should probably get well acquainted with the story, "The Boy Who Cried Wolf."

No sympathy from this direction.

Forum veteran
She posted it as proof someone was out to get her and that they just started some attack on her, some new campaign, then it turns out the date of the picture was a good bit before she did the MSNBC coverage, which basically means it couldn't have been legit.
But she could have just seen it and assumed it was new without looking at the dates. Hanlon's razor, anyone?

Regardless of the recent one being real, the original isn't.
We knew that from the very beginning, though. CameraLady found the info in the "real" doxx a long time ago and verified that the fake was fake (but didn't provide any proof since that would require doxxing her for real).

Thus, I hope she learns this phrase well. "Karma is a bitch."
That's fucked up. We should be better than this.

But she could have just seen it and assumed it was new without looking at the dates. Hanlon's razor, anyone?

We knew that from the very beginning, though. CameraLady found the info in the "real" doxx a long time ago and verified that the fake was fake (but didn't provide any proof since that would require doxxing her for real).

That's fucked up. We should be better than this.

It says right there in the pic it was four days before the death threats... why is the image just now popping up? As for Zoe Q and Cameralady revealing that, it's the first I've heard of it. I only saw people claiming it was fake. Not that it matters, really. My point still stands. It's some good ol' fashioned situational irony.

If it's fucked up that I have schadenfreude for Zoe Q, then I guess I'm fucked up, then. I honestly don't give a damn more than the fact that it makes gamergate look bad and makes her relevant again.

WTF? Trib talk? That sounds... not something I'd expect from anywhere in the US... except possibly San Francisco?

Saying there's dangerous extremists on both sides is elementary at this point and does nothing to drive the conversation forward. Both Wu and Quinn are disingenuous at best. I recommend you guys listen to the aptly named Trib cast though, there's decent stuff in there. Somewhat. The older feminist even says the skeptic in her acknowledges the hash tag could have been hijacked. We just don't know.

Last edited:
Also, we've all seen the tweet screencap where Wu actually admits to pretending to be gamergate supporters when she got caught, right? And she called it satire.
Pretty sure someone here posted this, but I will again as a reminder:
http://i.lightimg.com/34d0b14a.jpg

Here's that pic btw, more clear. You can see right in the beginning she mentions 8chan as if its a reaction to that Huffington Post video, which just happened recently, a good bit after the 8th of October:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0J5FlpIQAA7GRA.png:large

Last edited:
Oh, and duh I missed the most damning piece of evidence in there :lol: It actually references her being attacked on twitter, her and her husband, again, four days before that actually happened. Right in the beginning. I said that already, but I couldn't read the print either, and just knew the general purpose of it going by Wu's own words. Seeing that myself makes it even more obvious that she fucked up.

Forum veteran
Watched some of that Tribtalk video. Eventually bailed. Anyone who details the history of GG and doesn't mention the "gamers are dead" flood or Patricia Hernandez publishing multiple reviews for people she's friends/roommates with and failing to disclose this until caught (and then silently slapping disclaimers onto old articles) is one-sided, period.

It says right there in the pic it was four days before the death threats... why is the image just now popping up?
That's a good question. "Why does an image made on the 8th reference threats made on the 10th" is also a good question. Let's not pretend to have the answers to those questions before we actually do.

And before you have any concrete proof, making you exactly as bad as the journalists we're fighting against.

So she gets caught actually pretending to be gamergate users as I pointed out earlier, posts a picture that was made before the threats and talks about her campaign against 8chan before the huffington deal, and somehow this is too far fetched, and somehow that makes me just as bad as the journalists flat out lying and saying things about all of gamergate despite the evidence contradicting their claims.

Excuse my french, but that's bullshit.

Forum veteran
So she gets caught actually pretending to be gamergate users as I pointed out earlier, posts a picture that was made before the threats and talks about her campaign against 8chan before the huffington deal, and somehow this is too far fetched, and somehow that makes me just as bad as the journalists flat out lying and saying things about all of gamergate despite the evidence contradicting their claims.
That "satire" comment is vague (it could be construed as "that's not a sockpuppet account, you're just confused because someone's being satirical and you people are idiots") and the "asshat" link is circumstantial at best. As for the rest, how about another theory? You, Unkindled, made both the image and the death threats, then used an alternate account to alert Wu to the image you made on the 8th as though it were new.

My theory has exactly as much evidence as yours does. This is why we're required to prove things conclusively before making accusations.

Top Bottom